I was in the pie shop queue yesterday when Thomson chased the winger from half way to the by line. It was obvious he wasn’t up to it and he took some time to recover. Turns out that he’s got a chest infection and should nt have been playing.

It’s little wonder the players seem scunnered; we have to play players out of position, put them in when they’re not fit, get sponsors to help us sign boys with little competitive experience and all the while without the support of the supporters.

I think an honest assessment and statement is needed from Aitken and the board. Tell us about the injury situation, explain why Thomson is playing right back, why the players look unfit and then tell us the situation will be reviewed once the injuries have cleared up.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was in the pie shop queue yesterday when Thomson chased the winger from half way to the by line. It was obvious he wasn’t up to it and he took some time to recover. Turns out that he’s got a chest infection and should nt have been playing.

It’s little wonder the players seem scunnered; we have to play players out of position, put them in when they’re not fit, get sponsors to help us sign boys with little competitive experience and all the while without the support of the supporters.

I think an honest assessment and statement is needed from Aitken and the board. Tell us about the injury situation, explain why Thomson is playing right back, why the players look unfit and then tell us the situation will be reviewed once the injuries have cleared up.
The only player playing out of position yesterday was Thomson, who was unfortunately recovering from a chest infection. The only reason he is playing right back is becausr there is absolutely no one else available to do so until Ballantyne is back.

Outwith the defence, Aitken really didn't have a bad squad of players to choose from. Unfortunately he chose to leave two of our better ones on the bench.

Injuries don't excuse pathetic, lazy performances. It's a real worry that Aitken thinks performances haven't been bad.

I don't even think Thomson at right-back is a major issue. He's played right back before and hasn't looked massively out of place. It's not as if it's Beanie in there.

Aside from Spencer (when he went to right-back) there weren't any real issues I can pinpoint with regards to players out of position.

So that possible excuse doesn't wash a jot with me.

On 01/09/2018 at 17:24, Silverton End said:

We're dropping like a stone, great to see Chairman among the fans today but it means nothing if we are leaderless on the pitch/dugout.

Some fans thought it would be great, League 1, winning games again blah blah.

I have used the joking phrase we are going 'Full Cowdenbeath', but it's a real fear tbh.

As I said on the Stenny game thread that should be "Full Dumbarton" since we were the first Scottish team to drop from tier 2  to 3 and then 4 in successive seasons - and to finish rock bottom the season after that. No  jeopardy of a pyramid play-off back then though.

10 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Iain Russell isn't a winger. Never has been and never will be. He works hard as he always has, but he's been shunted by Aitken as many are, because he doesn't know how to use his players to the best of his ability.

Iain Russell spent three excellent years largely playing as a winger or at least wide left midfield for us at Championship level. Not commenting on whether he can do it now but "never has been" is nonsense.

Iain Russell spent three excellent years largely playing as a winger or at least wide left midfield for us at Championship level. Not commenting on whether he can do it now but "never has been" is nonsense.

Fair enough. I'll bow to your superior knowledge on it then.

I'll rephrase in that case... Iain Russell isn't naturally a winger and through his spells with us I've not seen him show enough to suggest he should be played there, particularly defensively although not through lack of effort or desire.

The striker issue is one I have had a think about. Loy is getting a hard time of it off some fans. I think this is a bit unfair to be honest. Look back at the strikers Stevie has had at his disposal in the past few years. Kevin Nisbet, crap for us, banging them in for Raith just now. Eamonn Brophy, we were all delighted when he signed thinking he would score loads, didnt do much, now playing and scoring regularly fir Killie. Stevie Craig, again all of us delighted when he signed, turned out to be crap. Ally Roy (don't tell rangeman) but didn't do much for us, scoring regularly now for Derry city and got an international call up.
Yeah I know there are more but these are the ones that sprung to mind. These strikers didn't turn crap as soon as they signed for us or became good when they left us. We clearly don't play to their strengths to allow them to do what they are good at, putting the ball in the net. Rory Loy falls into this category I think, we know he's a player and a goalscorer but we are killing him with our tactics, that's down to Stevie. I hope Celtic know what they have done to their young striker......

The most depressing thing about his interview is it's clearly not even on his mind a little about chucking it.  He's that up his own arse he doesn't think he's to blame for even a fraction of this season.

He's not going anywhere sadly.

The striker issue is one I have had a think about. Loy is getting a hard time of it off some fans. I think this is a bit unfair to be honest. Look back at the strikers Stevie has had at his disposal in the past few years. Kevin Nisbet, crap for us, banging them in for Raith just now. Eamonn Brophy, we were all delighted when he signed thinking he would score loads, didnt do much, now playing and scoring regularly fir Killie. Stevie Craig, again all of us delighted when he signed, turned out to be crap. Ally Roy (don't tell rangeman) but didn't do much for us, scoring regularly now for Derry city and got an international call up.
Yeah I know there are more but these are the ones that sprung to mind. These strikers didn't turn crap as soon as they signed for us or became good when they left us. We clearly don't play to their strengths to allow them to do what they are good at, putting the ball in the net. Rory Loy falls into this category I think, we know he's a player and a goalscorer but we are killing him with our tactics, that's down to Stevie. I hope Celtic know what they have done to their young striker......
Brophy never really got much of a chance with us, he was oddly left on the bench for the majority of his stay despite looking far superior to the options on the park at the time.

Ally Roy, for me, was one our best performers when he was with us. I thought he was direct, quick and had a decent eye for goal. I'm not remotely surprised to see him doing well over in Ireland. Another guy who was left on the bench despite looking better than the ones who were starting.

2 hours ago, sonsism said:

The most depressing thing about his interview is it's clearly not even on his mind a little about chucking it.  He's that up his own arse he doesn't think he's to blame for even a fraction of this season.

He's not going anywhere sadly.

Terrible interview.clearly a drowning man clutching at straws with no more excuses to trundle out.These dropped points may be crucial come may and survival in this league

10 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Has Loy scored yet? Early days of course, but who would've thought Nisbet would be the one banging them in after all the fuss made about whether Loy would sign for us or for you guys?

Nope. Has three assists, but at the moment we're playing him (the man who said he can't win headers and play as a target man) as a target man...

I don't think anyone could've predicted Nisbet's form. He'd scored 8 goals in his senior career (goals for Partick Thistle 'Colts' don't count), so to hit that in 10 games is an outstanding effort - and fair play to him. I don't know if the Championship was just a step too far, or if we couldn't play to his strengths or what. But I thought he'd maybe get between 8 and 10 if he had a good season.

Archived