Unless Aitchison comes with a free centre half or full back then that would be an utterly mad signing. We have 4 strikers, none of whom are injured long term. We have 2 fit defenders and 1 fit winger.  Real head in hands stuff if this actually happens.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stevie's recruitment is funny. It's like he finds out he can get a good player and just jumps at it, without thinking how they'll fit in and whether or not we actually need them. Take last season where we had Walsh, Handling, Froxy and Wilson who were all natural number tens, but then no spare left-back when Boomer got injured.

Still, a team has probably never scored more than 100 goals in a season and ended up with a negative goal difference, so it'll be a good laugh.

59 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

One thing we've always been good at is giving a manager time. Over the past decade we've had just four permanent managers, and all of them have had success. Chapman winning the Third Division, Adamson the playoffs, Murray's record speaks for itself and Stevie keeping us up twice and getting us to a cup final.

I'd rather we gave managers time than hired and fired them all over the shop. Most other clubs (apart from Brechin) would probably have punted Stevie by now, but I felt that sticking with him over the summer was the right decision. Especially given there wasn't a stand-out option to replace him (unless Jim Duffy would be interested, which would surprise me).

As we showed with Chapman and Adamson however, we will dispense with a manager if things look seriously bleak. This weekend is massive, and if the poor form continues I can't see him being in the dugout by the time the clocks change.

Maybe a slight difference is that SA had a bad season last year and has started bad this year, while AA and JC had Great/reasonable seasons prior to being sacked.

I cant say im surprised to see all the negative nancys turn their nose up at what would be a great loan player!!

Anything to have a go at stevie now. He deserves our support not writing off his players before they even sign. Come on people get behind him.

2 minutes ago, sonsrealfan said:

I cant say im surprised to see all the negative nancys turn their nose up at what would be a great loan player!!

Anything to have a go at stevie now. He deserves our support not writing off his players before they even sign. Come on people get behind him.

Aitkenarmy.JPG.6fed01e90ea896478524b871950ddf19.JPG

It’s not the player, it’s the manager, defense either injured, unfit, slow and old, and he brings another striker in. [emoji849][emoji30]

6 minutes ago, aftershocker said:

there was a rumour floating around before the Arbroath game that we were planning on shipping out both Loy and Forbes....

I really hope that's just a rumour. After the weekend Forbes has been involved in all but one of our league goals this season.

1 minute ago, sonsrealfan said:

Mate, we have two defenders and the budget has pennies remaining. Aitchison looks like he'd be a terrific player, but signing him is a bit like me sitting starving in my house, and spending what little money I have on a lovely pen. 

If there is any money remaining it HAS to go towards a versatile defender.

32 minutes ago, Thommo90 said:

I don't make stuff up you should know by now!

Just seen it on twitter now too, my original source is morrisons fish counter-esque!

Actually we have other priority positions to fill but TBH RL does not fill me with confidence at all.If a young hungry striker can come in a la Chris Kane then im all for it.But clearly someone has to be moved on.

2 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

I really hope that's just a rumour. After the weekend Forbes has been involved in all but one of our league goals this season.

Mate, we have two defenders and the budget has pennies remaining. Aitchison looks like he'd be a terrific player, but signing him is a bit like me sitting starving in my house, and spending what little money I have on a lovely pen. 

Maybe we will be able to get a defender too if we move someone on.I suppose that some teams may pay all the wages AND put a player out on loan as it has more meanng to be playing vs men than in development leagues vs kids.Just surmising mind.

1 minute ago, lorenzo71 said:

Maybe we will be able to get a defender too if we move someone on.I suppose that some teams may pay all the wages AND put a player out on loan as it has more meanng to be playing vs men than in development leagues vs kids.Just surmising mind.

As a rule of thumb loan players don't come cheap. Just as moving on a player with nine months left on his contract doesn't come cheap.

If Stevie can wheel and deal his way to a bigger squad (a la trading Stevo for Vaughan), without losing too much quality then fair play to him. Likewise if he can get a few friends to give him a hand with loans during our injury crisis then all the better. But the goings on this afternoon are absolutely bizarre.

Ultimately he was given a budget. He decided to go with quality over quantity, and he's now in a difficult situation where he's having to deal with the consequences. For once I've absolutely no idea what on earth to make of pretty much everything I've read on here since about half 12.

Aye its odd.THe club sometimes are to blame as they scream poverty and suddenly we bring players in out of the blue.Last year for example a squad of 17 became a squad of 24.Thats a huge jump.

As for wages it may well depend on SA relationship with other managers as to whom he can bring in on no money.

42 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

I love your analogies. They are just so nonsencically( sp) brilliant. I'm sure there was a monopoly one at some point too that had me chuckling.

Sorry for going ot everyone, you can now get back to it!

Archived