• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

I don't think it is a problem.

I was going to argue that playing two defensive midfielders in a 4 man midfield is definitely a problem, but Kyle Hutton isn't even a defensive midfielder. I'm not sure what he is other than not a very good footballer. His positioning is up there with that of Graham Connell and both players have (had in Connell's case) an excellent ability of pointing fingers at things.  Aside from a 40 yard cross field pass and the occasional game (by occasional I mean around 2 per season) where he looks like an enforcer, I genuinely think he brings nothing to the team.

Given the only option appears to be playing Forbes next to him this Saturday (unless a centre half becomes available to free up Thommo) then we'll see how Hutton works having someone creative next to him.  If I was the gaffer Hutton would be the last centre midfield option I would call upon though. Carsy, Thommo, Forbes, even Paton I'd have in there before him.

37 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Given quite a few of your posts are about Jamie I'm going to assume that you're a friend or relative of him.

He 100% deserves a shot. As I said earlier he obviously spent a lot of time kicking his heels on the bench at Morton, so I'm assuming he didn't come here just to do the same.

Not a relative or friend. He's a kid I seen a lot of coming through at st Mirren and then again a number of times at Morton. I thought he would have played at least a couple of games . I know at the time he got injured at Morton he was due to come back from loan and have a straight fight for no.1 shirt.

He is definitely  a better goalie than Adam 

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I was going to argue that playing two defensive midfielders in a 4 man midfield is definitely a problem, but Kyle Hutton isn't even a defensive midfielder. I'm not sure what he is other than not a very good footballer. His positioning is up there with that of Graham Connell and both players have (had in Connell's case) an excellent ability of pointing fingers at things.  Aside from a 40 yard cross field pass and the occasional game (by occasional I mean around 2 per season) where he looks like an enforcer, I genuinely think he brings nothing to the team.

Given the only option appears to be playing Forbes next to him this Saturday (unless a centre half becomes available to free up Thommo) then we'll see how Hutton works having someone creative next to him.  If I was the gaffer Hutton would be the last centre midfield option I would call upon though. Carsy, Thommo, Forbes, even Paton I'd have in there before him.

That's quite an interesting point, and one my brother used during a seething post-match journey home rant. I didn't have an answer. I've watched him play about 50 odd times, and I've no idea what his actual role is.

People talk about Forbes being a luxury, but that's probably more applicable to Hutton.

2 minutes ago, jimmy 1 said:

Not a relative or friend. He's a kid I seen a lot of coming through at st Mirren and then again a number of times at Morton. I thought he would have played at least a couple of games . I know at the time he got injured at Morton he was due to come back from loan and have a straight fight for no.1 shirt.

He is definitely  a better goalie than Adam 

I'll trust you then ;)

Hopefully he gets his chance. He seems to have got a solid number of games under his belt in the Juniors, so I'd imagine he should be pretty comfortable with the physicality of League One.

2 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

That's quite an interesting point, and one my brother used during a seething post-match journey home rant. I didn't have an answer. I've watched him play about 50 odd times, and I've no idea what his actual role is.

People talk about Forbes being a luxury, but that's probably more applicable to Hutton.

Your luxury point is one I think myself.  If you could afford to leave Hutton spare at all times and just give him the ball in space he'd probably do quite well. He needs to cover every blade of grass in front of the defence in his role for us and he's absolutely ganting at it.

Aitken out.

The way I see it, we have 4 major issues in our team:

Goalkeeper
Centre mid
Left back
Winger

Adam simply isn’t very good - I’d hope McGowan gets a chance, otherwise he’s been pointless signing. I don’t, however see Aitken giving him a chance; a new manager probably would.

Our central midfield isn’t working - I don’t think either Carswell or Hutton are out-and-out defensive midfielders in the Kevin Nicol sense and that’s maybe why Aitken likes to double up. However, it doesn’t work. Carswell is the better, smarter and more composed player - it should be him alongside someone else, preferably with more movement (hence not Forbes), Thomson is the obvious choice, and I liked the look of the trialist on Saturday, he was very quick, got forward but also showed a good bit of dig. Again, I don’t see Aitken breaking up Carswell and Hutton; a new manager would.

Dyer is just not good enough, I’d be looking to bring in a left back. Aitken won’t.

We only have one winger in Bobby Barr - at times against Brechin he was our only out ball and was causing them trouble. On the other side we have a choice between Forbes and Paton, both of which are very, very slow and not out-and-out wingers. It’s leading to a very unbalanced team - which I do think could work with Ballantyne coming back into the team, but it’s certainly not working at the moment. We need a pacey option on the wing - at the moment we don’t any ability to change the game out wide if it’s not working. I find it bizarre that Aitken hasn’t addressed this either by way of a loan or signing one of those young wingers we had on trial in preseason.

17 players will never work as some players will either be injured suspended or out of form . It looks like the piggy bank is empty so realistically Dumbartons ambition this season could be to stay out of the relegation zone rather than getting promotion.. Could we not even afford three youth players and pay them peanuts and they could fill the bench and maybe come on for the last 15 or 20 minutes to give the older players a break each game.

17 players will never work as some players will either be injured suspended or out of form . It looks like the piggy bank is empty so realistically Dumbartons ambition this season could be to stay out of the relegation zone rather than getting promotion.. Could we not even afford three youth players and pay them peanuts and they could fill the bench and maybe come on for the last 15 or 20 minutes to give the older players a break each game.
Any manager who isn't a completely inept diddy would've tried to stretch the budget further. Aitken, who has operated on a very decent budget since his arrival, thought he could spunk the lot then go running to the board for more, like he has done in previous seasons. This season we have a chairman in place who wont allow the manager to spunk money we can't afford to provide so he's clearly been told where to go when he's gone running to them with a sob story about how his budget has been spent.

What Aitken should've done is passed up on signing Kyle Hutton and perhaps one of either Dowie, Paton or Bobby Barr and use those wages to pad out the squad with younger guys, such as the guys we had on trial who looked fairly handy as backup options. We didn't need both Hutton and Carswell and he signed them anyway.

We currently have a squad of good players, peppered with some shiters - Perry, Adam, Dyer and Hutton (an expensive shiter at that) and a seriously imbalanced squad with little to no pace. On paper it looked good but when you actually sit and watch it you realise it's fairly pish, slow and laboured.

Any manager who isn't a completely inept diddy would've tried to stretch the budget further. Aitken, who has operated on a very decent budget since his arrival, thought he could spunk the lot then go running to the board for more, like he has done in previous seasons. This season we have a chairman in place who wont allow the manager to spunk money we can't afford to provide so he's clearly been told where to go when he's gone running to them with a sob story about how his budget has been spent.

What Aitken should've done is passed up on signing Kyle Hutton and perhaps one of either Dowie, Paton or Bobby Barr and use those wages to pad out the squad with younger guys, such as the guys we had on trial who looked fairly handy as backup options. We didn't need both Hutton and Carswell and he signed them anyway.

We currently have a squad of good players, peppered with some shiters - Perry, Adam, Dyer and Hutton (an expensive shiter at that) and a seriously imbalanced squad with little to no pace. On paper it looked good but when you actually sit and watch it you realise it's fairly pish, slow and laboured.
Jesus, has someone sprinkled moon dust around here ? Hallelujah, is everyone finally catching onto what I've been banging on about all year ?

It was the writer Ambrose Bierce who defined a cynic as someone who sees things as they are rather than they should be, and it's time some Sons fans took off the rose-tinted specs and saw reality instead of reputation. I couldn't believe some of the guff I read in the wake of scavenging a point against Arbroath.

I mentioned earlier about the financial situation, and the difficulties in putting together a team. Be that as it may, the BOD and the supporters have a right to expect better than we're seeing right now; if not some tough calls await.

Its not a surprise the players are lookin down and out with all the negativity from some of our so called fans. 

Get behind the team!! We have a great manager and a good group of players and they deserve our support not some of the crap they are currently getting. 

7 minutes ago, sonsrealfan said:

Its not a surprise the players are lookin down and out with all the negativity from some of our so called fans. 

Get behind the team!! We have a great manager and a good group of players and they deserve our support not some of the crap they are currently getting. 

Thanks Stevie. Good luck for Saturday. 

10 minutes ago, sonsrealfan said:

If only our fans were as loyal as Kilwinning Rangers fans.

Criticism of our start to the season is valid. It's been disappointing. The minimum we should be expecting is to do better at home against Forfar and not to throw away a 2-0 lead against a team who were there for the taking.

But it needs to be balanced with a bit of realism. We are only 4 league games into the season. The manager has made a decision to prioritise what he perceived to be quality ahead of quantity. Injury problems have hit us badly and it's making it more difficult to get the team settled and gelled together.

If this form continues then pressure will rightly grow on the club to make a decision regarding the manager's future. He deserves a degree of criticism for the way we've started but it has to be reasonable criticism. We can't use last season as a stick to beat him with and we can't ignore our injury problems because it was Aitken's choice to go with a small squad.

Reasonable criticism is absolutely appropriate. The important part isn't the criticism, it's that it has to be reasonable. Indulging in our collective favourite past time of scapegoating and unrelenting negativity isnt reasonable.

Archived