• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Hopefully he'll be at that sort of stage soon, but for me why we're not seeing the best of Loy is because we're banging balls up to him 6/7 feet in the Ayr, that's not his strength. He needs balls to feet, support and service into the box. All of that has been in pretty short supply so far.

Real team found

Myself, I think it is a seriously shaky start for sure. The only real thing I can see lacking is passion. If we looked at the end of last season having lost 3/4 of the team and been told we were getting who we’ve got we would be delighted in fact pleasantly surprised.
Look at Celtic and Rangers for instance or Man City or Man Utd. They’ve also had a shaky start to their campaign but I can’t see Gerrard being asked to go.
Think it’s going to be one of those seasons. It would have been great to bounce straight back up but maybe that’s what the present team thought too. Now they know they’re going to have to work for it.
I would just like to see more drive and determination.
As someone already pointed out, what if they change Aitken and the next manager does no better.
I’m not saying he’s great but the players need to step up and take a bit of pride in their football.

There seems to be a fair amount of denial going on here; I've already seen enough to suggest that what we are experiencing is not some sort of blip which only requires minor adjustment, but a perfect storm of a small squad debilitated by injury, fitness and confidence issues and a management team which quite frankly is beginning to look like it has run out of road.
Staying in this division may appear a modest aim but on current evidence it may be the most realistic one.
And FFS please spare us the pish about the next 1/2/3 games and their importance - we are already in a dogfight in case anyone has missed it.

The tripe about the injuries is wearing very thin. Those in the "aitken in" camp seem to be using this as the number 1 excuse.
Correct me if im wrong but Aitken knew these guys injury histories before they signed, aitken also knew that signing guys that were currently injured were not going to do a pre-season. The blame for this lies at 1 persons door! Do we even conduct medicals at the club? The signing record in the past 2 years suggests not. Or Aitken just decides to sign them anyway and hope for the best!

33 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

There seems to be a fair amount of denial going on here; I've already seen enough to suggest that what we are experiencing is not some sort of blip which only requires minor adjustment, but a perfect storm of a small squad debilitated by injury, fitness and confidence issues and a management team which quite frankly is beginning to look like it has run out of road.
Staying in this division may appear a modest aim but on current evidence it may be the most realistic one.
And FFS please spare us the pish about the next 1/2/3 games and their importance - we are already in a dogfight in case anyone has missed it.

We may well be going 'full Cowdenbeath'

I believe there is enough blame to go round, and could be apportioned to quite a few doors, but my issue is that a group of players cannot turn shite overnight.
There’s obviously some injury concerns. We have a group of talented individuals which we were almost salivating at them being announced a few months ago.
Some need extra focus on fitness, some need extra focus on confidence, some need to learn how to be a goalkeeper, some need to learn about being more attacking etc. And the whole team need to be crystal clear on tactics and the strategy. There are a lot of guys running around looking clueless just now. My concern is that a lot of this is not being done. It’s like any form of management, you could have a team of talented people, but if there is poor direction, no inspiration and no clear strategy this will all show in the results.

8 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

thats the fear

Better believe it.

For me the Challenge Cup Final back in March was a massive opportunity for Sons & Aitken to impress the natives. I mean 2500 went to Perth, stunning.

Instead we got the usual bizarre tactical shitfest from Stevie Wonder. Just entertain us & go for it, it's a f@£king National Final, our first in 120 year. Nah..

He lost my support then. :(

I just  watched the highlights and from what i could see we were identical to the last few weeks in terms of lack of flair,disjointed and general cant be arsed attitude.We only seemed to have a bit of urgency when we were losing.It is an attitude problem no doubt.A new man at the helm could be a catalyst for positive change because right now we are going nowhere.

Just watched the highlights. Some of Loy’s misses (especially 5.07) were pretty bad. Clearly a guy low on confidence. Our defending on all the goals is really poor.
Also, no interview with Aitken?

The confidence thing is a big part of it as far as I'm concerned. His movement is decent and as we saw at Brechin yesterday, he got in several goalscoring positions. I think that his first goal could, and I emphasise could, be a turning point for him.

Loy has been shite, no two ways about it. Lazy and missing absolute sitters for fun. He doesn't even attempt to win headers when a defender is near him. He's had balls into his feet plenty of times and he's done hee haw with them.

He's missed some sitters, aye, but I don't see the lazy part and think that's harsh. I don't recall oodles of balls to feet he's had, most of the time he's chasing blasted lumps up the park to a huge radius around him.

And I get that the Morton team were largely youths, I'm not saying we were excellent. My point was that we started that game by taking it to them, giving it to Bobby Barr and getting service in from the wide areas. And now we've reverted to the same old pish since then and only Mr Aitken knows why.

Real team found

Haha, nah a Son through and through, me. I just yearn for the Championship...

Myself, I think it is a seriously shaky start for sure. The only real thing I can see lacking is passion. If we looked at the end of last season having lost 3/4 of the team and been told we were getting who we’ve got we would be delighted in fact pleasantly surprised.
Look at Celtic and Rangers for instance or Man City or Man Utd. They’ve also had a shaky start to their campaign but I can’t see Gerrard being asked to go.
Think it’s going to be one of those seasons. It would have been great to bounce straight back up but maybe that’s what the present team thought too. Now they know they’re going to have to work for it.
I would just like to see more drive and determination.
As someone already pointed out, what if they change Aitken and the next manager does no better.
I’m not saying he’s great but the players need to step up and take a bit of pride in their football.

Being a nuisance and throwing my tuppence worth in I don’t think Aitken has recruited that well to be honest. On a player by player basis he definitely has, all good players, but fitting them into and building a team is another story.

I know you think you had a shite team last season but ahead of that play off I was very worried, guys like Stirling, Froxylias and Handling put the fear into me.

This season I really think you’re missing pace and width, cannot believe Gallagher has been benched, Bobby Barr should also be playing every week.

You’ll turn it round and improve, injuries etc will be enhancing your problems. Not sure sacking Aitken would be the answer but can understand why people have that opinion, seems very negative and not keen on his attitude in interviews and that’s as an outsider.

10 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Being a nuisance and throwing my tuppence worth in I don’t think Aitken has recruited that well to be honest. On a player by player basis he definitely has, all good players, but fitting them into and building a team is another story.

I know you think you had a shite team last season but ahead of that play off I was very worried, guys like Stirling, Froxylias and Handling put the fear into me.

This season I really think you’re missing pace and width, cannot believe Gallagher has been benched, Bobby Barr should also be playing every week.

You’ll turn it round and improve, injuries etc will be enhancing your problems. Not sure sacking Aitken would be the answer but can understand why people have that opinion, seems very negative and not keen on his attitude in interviews and that’s as an outsider.

I'd agree with everything apart from the highlighted bit. Handling's injuries have absolutely destroyed him hence why he's at Edinburgh City.

Archived