Time will tell if stevie made a mistake in building a squad focussed on quality and not numbers. It’s an issue just now for two reasons; injuries and poor season ticket sales affecting the remaining budget.

I think Stevie has built a good squad with exciting players; he and they need a bit of time to get to grips with the league and our expectations of them. Loy, Paton and Forbes should be standouts if given time to get fully fit and be incorporated into the team.

Wasn’t at the game yesterday, but the Forfar game looked to me like a team who thought they wouldn’t concede and that they believed they would make chances from set pieces. The players deserved the criticism for that result and IMO for yesterday’s too. Unless, unless, Dods came out with some sort of tactical master stroke.

Pitk

How long are we going to give them? Yesterday was their 9th competitive game together. The whole team needs to gel/players not being fit enough is just excuses for Aitken being completely inept at his job.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Time will tell if stevie made a mistake in building a squad focussed on quality and not numbers. It’s an issue just now for two reasons; injuries and poor season ticket sales affecting the remaining budget.

I think Stevie has built a good squad with exciting players; he and they need a bit of time to get to grips with the league and our expectations of them. Loy, Paton and Forbes should be standouts if given time to get fully fit and be incorporated into the team.

Wasn’t at the game yesterday, but the Forfar game looked to me like a team who thought they wouldn’t concede and that they believed they would make chances from set pieces. The players deserved the criticism for that result and IMO for yesterday’s too. Unless, unless, Dods came out with some sort of tactical master stroke.

Pitk

The supposed quality of the players is neither here nor there really. On paper we think they are great, in reality they arnt showing it. This is league 1, there isn't going to be too much between any of the players playing in the league. What makes the difference is the motivation and desire to win and want to win, hard work will win more plaudits in this league than tricky feet. Ours arnt showing that and I place that blame firmly at the door of the management and his team.

Patience might have been the key in the past but it's well and truly run out now. Fair play to those who want to give Stevie a chance, I reckon you are the minority now.

There is zero chance of Aitken resigning, with his stock at the lowest its ever been. Nor is there any chance we’ll sack him. Speculating about it is a waste of characters.
I'm fairly confident we'll sack if this form continues over the next 5 or 6 games. If we finish the 1st quarter at the arse end of the league he'll be gone.

I'd be surprised if the club didn't have an emergency fund or the likes to cover such scenarios. Too many of our supporters like to remind us of how skint we are when in reality we're no more or less skint than the 9 other clubs in this division and have the benefit of some very decent backing from both our stadium sponsors in the form of jobs for players and the Sonstrust with their fundraisers etc. I'd imagine our budget is in the top 3 of the teams in this league.

I have every confidence our board have their heads screwed on and have prepared fully for a bagging the gaffer scenario.

I have never been a sack the manager supporter but I am really finding it hard to see how Aitken can turn this around now. I feel if we manage to finish mid table this season he will say its a success.

I now want him to move on and have no patience left for this manager

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'm fairly confident we'll sack if this form continues over the next 5 or 6 games. If we finish the 1st quarter at the arse end of the league he'll be gone.

I'd be surprised if the club didn't have an emergency fund or the likes to cover such scenarios. Too many of our supporters like to remind us of how skint we are when in reality we're no more or less skint than the 9 other clubs in this division and have the benefit of some very decent backing from both our stadium sponsors in the form of jobs for players and the Sonstrust with their fundraisers etc. I'd imagine our budget is in the top 3 of the teams in this league.

I have every confidence our board have their heads screwed on and have prepared fully for a bagging the gaffer scenario.

You’d certainly hope they had that fund, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t.

The problem now is it’s very hard for Aitken to win the fans back. He has created a toxic environment, which is very difficult to shake. We all knew he needed to start the season well, after the way last season ended. A decent amount of fans were willing to give him that chance, based on the promise of attacking football and the signings we’d made, but the goodwill left towards him was limited. People might say ‘only 4 games in’, but that remaining goodwill has all but already evaporated.

He will have to do something pretty special to turn things around.

10 minutes ago, Wardy said:

How’s Rory Loy getting on boys? 

I don't think he's suited to this division.

Loy isnt a target man and he isnt a guy who will graft around the box. He's a penalty box striker who will score goals but only if the service is good enough. That's not really what we need in this league. We need mobile forwards who will run defenders ragged with their movement and will give them decisions to make when running against them or a target man striker who will bully defenders.

Loy has had a very good career and would probably still do a job for the likes of Alloa or somebody in the Championship but he hasn't shown that he's what we need and he hasn't really looked threatening in competitive matches.

I'm reading that there's almost no way back for Aitken and he needs to be bagged, but for me it's still a bit knee jerk that.

Don't get me wrong, I totally appreciate how difficult it was watching that yesterday and it may be a 'straw that broke the camel's back' for some folk, but for me, it's definitely able to be turned round by Aitken and the players.

I know these are all IF's, and if my auntie had baws she'd be my uncle, but if Aitken has a sudden realisation that the way we played against Morton is the way to go and you know, actually take the game to our opponents and try and outscore them, then we have a good chance.

That said, the next three games are huge. If we win all three, or at least the two league games in that period, then I'll certainly be more content. We may not play well (ok hopefully not as eye-bleedingly as we have been for most of the league games we've played so far) but it's points that'll get us out of this league, not playing pretty football.

I think the criticism of Loy is way overstated as well.

What as far as I understand is his recent injury record and not getting a full pre-season under his belt, he's not fully fit.

Hopefully he'll be at that sort of stage soon, but for me why we're not seeing the best of Loy is because we're banging balls up to him 6/7 feet in the Ayr, that's not his strength. He needs balls to feet, support and service into the box. All of that has been in pretty short supply so far.

1 minute ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

What as far as I understand is his recent injury record and not getting a full pre-season under his belt, he's not fully fit.

Hopefully he'll be at that sort of stage soon, but for me why we're not seeing the best of Loy is because we're banging balls up to him 6/7 feet in the Ayr, that's not his strength. He needs balls to feet, support and service into the box. All of that has been in pretty short supply so far.

Loy's had the exact same thing levelled at him for about the past 5 seasons. The truth is, he's just a very hard worker that had a purple patch. He's not very good and he's on his way down.

I know these are all IF's, and if my auntie had baws she'd be my uncle, but if Aitken has a sudden realisation that the way we played against Morton is the way to go and you know, actually take the game to our opponents and try and outscore them, then we have a good chance.

To be honest that was the Morton reserve team, filled out with players off form/returning from injury. Bobby Barr was up against a child and we all thought he'd become a world beater.

Loy has been shite, no two ways about it. Lazy and missing absolute sitters for fun. He doesn't even attempt to win headers when a defender is near him. He's had balls into his feet plenty of times and he's done hee haw with them.

37 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Sorry bud, but you can put a tuxedo on a goat but its still a goat.

Archived