I fully expect Aitken will continue to play Hutton and Carswell together when the real stuff starts.

For the record, I actually don't think that's the end of the world if you are playing B. Barr, Forbes, Paton and Loy in front of them.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Indeed - quite impressed with our passing from defence last night.

Yep, Adams didn’t have much to do last night but even though he’s not a big guy he seems to command his area well, seems very vocal and seems to have a good range of kicking on him. 

If we can pass out from the back and get good at it then it will help massively come winter and the wind is getting up. 

I fully expect Aitken will continue to play Hutton and Carswell together when the real stuff starts.
For the record, I actually don't think that's the end of the world if you are playing B. Barr, Forbes, Paton and Loy in front of them.

Hutton and Carswell did actually play together during our best spell last season. The difference was in those games we pushed the full backs much higher up and let Carswell and Hutton sit deep. Aitken didn’t maintain this tactic when Wardrop and McLaughlin where injured, probably because he didn’t trust the replacements enough. This is the only way I can see them working together tbh.

Carswell was playing like Xavi in that first half last night, heel flicks and one touch pass and move stuff. He's actually decent on that left side of the diamond midfield. Still think I'd prefer him in Huttons role though if we're sticking with the diamond formation, play Thommo, Paton and Forbes in front of him with Loy and Gallagher leading the line.

How fucking nice is it to have options though, we conceivably have the players to go 3-5-2 as well, but I don't doubt many of us wouldn't fancy that. 

Yeah, I often sit near him at games. He’s a nice enough guy who clearly cares a lot about the club but he can’t control his emotions during the game and sounds like a muppet.

One thing that does my nut in is how little understanding our fans have about how football works. I was quite enjoying seeing us attempt to pass out from the back yesterday but if we didn’t go straight forwards multiple groans would sound
I agree to an extent but one thing that irks me in the world of football is that everyone wants their team to play like Barcelona. There is more than 1 way to play the game and there is an art to playing more direct. Not saying we should play long but mixing it up would be effective and keep our opponents guessing. Someone on here was asking for us to sign a young big striker in order to have a plan B.

I don’t think we should be looking for a striker at all, we already have 4 - we need a full back, and preferably a predominantly left sided one (ideally comfortable enough to cover RB); I think Dyer could be a weak spot in our side and having competition can only be a good thing. Apart from that, I’d like to see us bringing in an out-and-out winger, we only really have one.

Stephen Lynch appointed club secretary. Stephen was the Sontrust's first representative on the DFC board.
I was really pretty low at the prospect of yet another day of untrammelled sunshine on an idyllic Greek island but that news has cheered me immensely. Thanks Wilf.

Seriously, that IS very good news indeed, Stevie is a first class operator.

6 hours ago, bigmacDFC said:

I don’t think we should be looking for a striker at all, we already have 4 - we need a full back, and preferably a predominantly left sided one (ideally comfortable enough to cover RB); I think Dyer could be a weak spot in our side and having competition can only be a good thing. Apart from that, I’d like to see us bringing in an out-and-out winger, we only really have one.

The issue we have is that Loy hasn't been so fit the in the last 12 months and appears to still be struggling. We seem quite one dimensional at the moment and I think a young striker on loan who gives us a completely different option could be a very handy addition. The chances are we will bring in a couple loans at least so a full back cover, a natural wide man and a different option up front would leave us with a very decent squad with some depth to it.

The issue we have is that Loy hasn't been so fit the in the last 12 months and appears to still be struggling. We seem quite one dimensional at the moment and I think a young striker on loan who gives us a completely different option could be a very handy addition. The chances are we will bring in a couple loans at least so a full back cover, a natural wide man and a different option up front would leave us with a very decent squad with some depth to it.

Our squad is at 17 at the moment, and loans can’t be tempted by C&G, so I’d be surprised if we added one, never mind two. If we do bring in one then that man has to be a left-sided defender imo.

I’d be surprised if our budget will stretch to a further three squad additions, loanees or other. I’m pleased with how the squad is now, which on paper looks superior to last years championship squad. Make of that what you will but Atkin has done a good job over the summer imo; with some help from our railway friends.

The appointment of Stephen Lynch as Club Sec is also very welcome news. Firstly because he’s ‘one of us’ with the club at heart, but more importantly because he has the experience and competence to do a very good job. Still plenty of challenges behind the scenes but that appointment, alongside the new chairman, is at least two steps in the right direction.

Our squad is at 17 at the moment, and loans can’t be tempted by C&G, so I’d be surprised if we added one, never mind two. If we do bring in one then that man has to be a left-sided defender imo.
Aitken will add at least 1 more, I'm fairly confident of that. As it stands we don't have enough players to fill the bench without any injuries or suspensions and your likely to find that most weeks we will have someone missing so you could be looking at only having only 3 outfield subs if we have a couple of players out which quite simply isn't enough for a serious challenge.

I certainly don't think it will be anyone we've heard of, most likely a youngster from Motherwell (the Jazza connection) or the likes unless Durrant can wrangle a cheapo deal for an unknown Rangers youngster. I reckon if/when we do secure a loan it will be cover for full back.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Aitken will add at least 1 more, I'm fairly confident of that. As it stands we don't have enough players to fill the bench without any injuries or suspensions and your likely to find that most weeks we will have someone missing so you could be looking at only having only 3 outfield subs if we have a couple of players out which quite simply isn't enough for a serious challenge.

I certainly don't think it will be anyone we've heard of, most likely a youngster from Motherwell (the Jazza connection) or the likes unless Durrant can wrangle a cheapo deal for an unknown Rangers youngster. I reckon if/when we do secure a loan it will be cover for full back.

Yeah, most season we hear the same things. Last season sticks in my mind most of all though - "We will run with a tight smaller squad because of cuts etc etc etc..." but we still managed to bring in a fair amount of loans. They didn't work out last season, but that is the unknown chance you take with young loan players.

I don't think we will see them until the middle of August though.

3 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Yeah, most season we hear the same things. Last season sticks in my mind most of all though - "We will run with a tight smaller squad because of cuts etc etc etc..." but we still managed to bring in a fair amount of loans. They didn't work out last season, but that is the unknown chance you take with young loan players.

I don't think we will see them until the middle of August though.

I'm not sure we can take last seasons scatter-gun approach which was overseen by a Chairman who had complete disregard for proper process as the best barometer. The new board have been honest that they don't have wads of cash to pile in, so the club needs to spend what it brings in. If Stevie hasn't spent his allowance yet then I'm sure he'll get a loan in, if he has then we'll need to run with what we've got unless someone wants to pile in a 5 figure sum. Ultimately I think squad depth will be our undoing this year, but I don't blame Stevie for going for a quality over quantity approach this year after going through nearly 30 players last year and barely finding a coherent team between them.

Yeah, I often sit near him at games. He’s a nice enough guy who clearly cares a lot about the club but he can’t control his emotions during the game and sounds like a muppet.

One thing that does my nut in is how little understanding our fans have about how football works. I was quite enjoying seeing us attempt to pass out from the back yesterday but if we didn’t go straight forwards multiple groans would sound

Similar groans at short corners but from a far larger proportion of the crowd

20 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

I agree with you both here in regards to our fans but I do hope short corners are used to a minimum this year. With Paton and Forbes in the team it should be an absolute dream for Dowie and Mango at corners.

Short corners can get in the sea IMO. Unless the opposition have 2 massive CBs who win every single ball I think every team should be taking the opportunity to get a free ball in the box. Especially with the quality we have with potential deliveries this year. Having played CB over the years it used to infuriate me going up for corners and then the guy taking it goes short.

Archived