Patience turned out not to be the key last season. I've no reason to think it'll be any different this time round.

I reckon players will be starting to return from holidays over the next week and that's when we'll see some more activity.

I'll be extremely disappointed if we go into the League Cup games with half a team mind you. I'm wanting to go to Spartans away and I point blank refuse to spend the cash if we're treating these games like friendlies again. They should be used as a way of building a bit of confidence heading into the league campaign, not the opposite.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon players will be starting to return from holidays over the next week and that's when we'll see some more activity.

I'll be extremely disappointed if we go into the League Cup games with half a team mind you. I'm wanting to go to Spartans away and I point blank refuse to spend the cash if we're treating these games like friendlies again. They should be used as a way of building a bit of confidence heading into the league campaign, not the opposite.
We will be treating them as friendlies. 3 weeks until the game kicks off and we don't even have half a team yet. It will be used as a chance to blood the team together. We can't use trialists in the betfred can we?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Pie and Bovril mobile app

We will be treating them as friendlies. 3 weeks until the game kicks off and we don't even have half a team yet. It will be used as a chance to blood the team together. We can't use trialists in the betfred can we?

The first cup game is the 14th of July (5 weeks away) with 4 friendlies arranged prior to that. That's plenty of time to get a squad together and decide on a favoured formation/starting 11. I'm not expecting us to come out the blocks flying or anything, I'm just wanting us to be semi competitive as the last two years have been a complete waste of time and money.

It is the exact same every year... everyone seems to hit the panic button and for some reason everyone also seems to think every other team in the league has 20 players signed up. In reality, we're probably at average right now for players signed up. There are only 2 teams who have come from the league above and to be honest, as much as Brechin will have a clear out, their team last year was full of League 1 standard players (no disrespect) so they are less likely to have a complete/mass turnaround.

We are the only team in our situation where we have had a significantly bigger budget for a good few years and now have to adapt to working with things. I think we are making progress at a reasonable level, for now. Yeah, if by this time in 3  weeks we have 5/6 signed up I'll be slightly concerned that we are going to be making desperation signings. As BBPF states, a lot of the guys are on holidays and things just now so with the team returning for pre season training in the next 7 days we should hopefully see some new faces come in.

The first cup game is the 14th of July (5 weeks away) with 4 friendlies arranged prior to that. That's plenty of time to get a squad together and decide on a favoured formation/starting 11. I'm not expecting us to come out the blocks flying or anything, I'm just wanting us to be semi competitive as the last two years have been a complete waste of time and money.

That's partly because the league have made an arse of the tournament by starting it so early. It was conceived to replace friendlies but of course in reality it has nt worked out like that. If we treat them as friendlies I have no quibble with that. We arnt going to qualify anyway so may as well use the games as best we can

8 hours ago, UnitedLoon63 said:

Froxylias any good

Bags of ability.

Zero application.

If you can afford to carry him in the knowledge that he'll do nothing for big bits of a game in the hope that he'll give you one or two moments of magic then he's potentially very useful to have. Just don't expect any graft. He's not mentally strong either - a hammer thrower can get a few hard tackles in early and effectively put him out of the game . Not through injury but more through convincing him that he doesn't really fancy a battle.

33 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Bags of ability.

Zero application.

If you can afford to carry him in the knowledge that he'll do nothing for big bits of a game in the hope that he'll give you one or two moments of magic then he's potentially very useful to have. Just don't expect any graft. He's not mentally strong either - a hammer thrower can get a few hard tackles in early and effectively put him out of the game . Not through injury but more through convincing him that he doesn't really fancy a battle.

Don't agree with the hard tackles bit but the rest I do. Great talent, no fitness, attitude can be poor. Complete luxury.

9 hours ago, UnitedLoon63 said:

Froxylias any good

I could write about 5,000 words on Dimitris Froxylias. He ticked every single cult-hero box, which unfortunately means that, despite his talent, he's probably unlikely to get a bigger club than you guys.

I'll start right back at the beginning. We looked seriously poor going forward as the window started to creek shut in August, and so on the final two days Stevie brought in Greg Morrison on loan from Ross County, and Froxy. I think most of us were pretty sceptical about signing a 24 year old nicknamed 'Jimmy the Greek' who is neither Greek nor called Jimmy, but given how rank we looked going forward (and given how handsome he was) it was worth a shot.

He made his debut a few days later against Connah's Quay and was the best player on the pitch by some distance. He took all our set-pieces, created loads of openings with cute wee passes and then scored the winner with a free-kick in the final minute of extra-time. 

The next week he produced another MOTM showing at Tannadice, and we all started to wonder how on earth we'd ended up with this guy!

A winner against Brechin and then an absolutely red-hot showing against Inverness - where he scored another really classy goal, and then cracked a free-kick off the bar that Sam Wardrop tapped in for the winner pretty much cemented his place as our best player.

Our performances started to dip after that and, although he was still our most exciting player, opponents started to learn more about him - and we started trying to play him wide rather than through the middle. Massive mistake for a guy who can't really run.

He rejcted an offer from Livingston to sign a new deal with us, before getting injured at the end of October. That was the last time he really put together a strong run of consistent starts.

When he came back at the end of November he immediately scored an absolute screamer against Dunfermline, set up the winner against St Mirren and then got injured again. It took him until the defeat at Tannadice in April to play his next full 90 minutes for the club...

In that time we went from being pretty poor going forward to being absolutely horrendous every time we tried to cross the halfway line. In his time on the pitch he showed plenty of wee flashes (and more than Danny Handling...) but nobody was doing anything of note for us going forward. He hit a wee purple patch after the free-kick against TNS, effectively setting up three and scoring one of our four goals in a week against Brechin, but (as pointed out on here) Stevie only seemed to play him when Sam Wardrop was fit, and preferred Danny Handling as a No.10.

He got his first international cap on the Friday of the Challenge Cup final, and then dashed to Perth to come on as a sub. Massive credit to him for that commitment, but I think Cristiano Ronaldo would struggle with playing two games in 24 hours either side of a couple of flights, so for a guy who isn't the fittest naturally, and who is very susceptible to hamstring injuries it was a mistake in hindsight.

That was in mid-March and he only made four more appearances for us (being hooked at HT in one). Now when you consider that, without his goals and assists, we'd have won just two league games all season (Brechin in November, United in April) that says to me that something else must've been going on behind the scenes. I don't know if it's application in training, or attitude or simply a clash in personalities between him and Stevie/Durrant, but clearly something wasn't right. 

Get him fit and playing with confidence and you'll wonder why he's playing in the Scottish Championship. Unfortunately we couldn't do that and, judging by his career to date, neither could any of his other clubs.

All the best to him though. He'll always be an absolute cult-hero in my eyes for making small chunks of last season memorable. Not very many DFC players have scored 40 yard free-kick winners in Cup semi-finals and then been called up to their national team either!

1 minute ago, optimistic said:

Hopefully they’ll bring the dug outs back to the stand side, where they’re supposed to be

Whilst I tend to agree that building your stadium with two alcoves made for dug-outs and then not using them is stupid, I don't think there'll be any rush from the management team to move themselves over to the stand side. 

Archived