I'd take Forbes but he doesn't strike me as an Aitken signing.

I'm hoping Aitken will chill out a bit with his policy of signing 99% grafters. It was clear last season that we lacked some creative spark and those creative types don't tend to be grafters. If he is willing to play players who aren't of the 'run through a brick wall' ilk then someone like Forbes would be ideal.
Where were these players that would 'run through a brick wall' at the end of last season? Think they got subbed for the ones that 'couldn't give a flying f**k'

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where were these players that would 'run through a brick wall' at the end of last season? Think they got subbed for the ones that 'couldn't give a flying f**k'
The more I think back on it, everything was actually hidden in plain sight in the hour or so following the Falkirk game.

We had simply run out of stamina and ideas and let's be honest, collective belief.

A new chapter beckons, so let's get on with it.

Interesting to hear the thoughts of commentators today on Sportsound. They came to a consensus that Ray McKinnon faced a race against time to assemble a squad for next season as Morton only have four signed players.

At this time Dumbarton have three signed players.

Interesting to hear the thoughts of commentators today on Sportsound. They came to a consensus that Ray McKinnon faced a race against time to assemble a squad for next season as Morton only have four signed players.
Technically speaking we have four, mango is still under contract.

Just now, albundy said:
6 minutes ago, Howlin said:

Technically speaking we have four, mango is still under contract.

OK, I was going by the official website.

Farewell to the championship forum. I think the last six years are probably the best I've had following this team of ours. Hopefully it won't be sixteen years until we return like the last time we were relegated from this division.

5 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Ok I know there are pre contracts flying about but did nobody point out its still 7 days till the window even opens?

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=3636

DUMBARTON FC is delighted to announce that Turnberry Homes have signed up to remain as shirt sponsors for the Club for the coming two seasons.

The well-known building and property company and estate agents are investing in Dumbarton's future in terms of both local development and sport.

Elaine Mooney at Turnberry Homes said: "We are really pleased to be continuing our relationship with the Sons, who are an important part of the local community to which we are also deeply committed."

Dumbarton FC commercial and Trust director Alan Findlay added: "We're very pleased that Turnberry Homes have committed to us as shirt sponsors for this season and next season. It's fantastic news and another boost ahead of the new season

"Our aim in the coming campaign is to fight hard for promotion. Like us, Turnberry are ambitious for Dumbarton, and the continued association will help the Club aim high."

Turnberry Homes pride themselves as 'a builder who cares'.

"We care about your new home, they way you will too. You are making a big investment and therefore we like to invest our time and experience to help you enjoy the experience with the minimum stress," says Elaine Mooney.

51 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

That's good news, in amongst the excitment of planning being refused at Dalmoak, being relegated and losing all of our players I forgot the Turnberry deal was up. Good to have them back on board, their logo looks good on the kits - quite clean and subtle.

22 hours ago, microdave said:

Farewell to the championship forum. I think the last six years are probably the best I've had following this team of ours. Hopefully it won't be sixteen years until we return like the last time we were relegated from this division.

My best six years were 1972 -1978 but on a much smaller scale the last six have been not bad at times. It's worth pointing out that following reconstruction in 1975, Sons maintained their place in the second tier for fourteen years. I may be wrong but I think that might be a record.

My best six years were 1972 -1978 but on a much smaller scale the last six have been not bad at times. It's worth pointing out that following reconstruction in 1975, Sons maintained their place in the second tier for fourteen years. I may be wrong but I think that might be a record.
It's certainly a record since that particular reconstruction and of course we had one season in the premier too.

Derek Lyle had a offer from Dumbarton wants to go part time.
Andy Stirling would like to resign as well but the problem is he has another year left of  his deal at Queens.
Stirling would be a ripper of a signing for League 1 but I can't imagine he'll be joining unless Queens are happy to release him/loan him for a smaller percentage of his wages. Even if he is released he'll be looking at a hefty pay cut to join ourselves.

I'd welcome Lyle, although at 37 (38 come February) I do wonder how effective he'll be. I'm not sure we could depend on him being our main striker, even the fittest of guys will start to struggle at that age.

42 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Andy Stirling would like to resign as well but the problem is he has another year left of  his deal at Queens.

Lyle could be a gamechanger of a signing at this level. His experience and knack of scoring striker's goals could be invaluable.

Or he could be 38 year old striker. Bit of a risk. but given he at least has recent history of scoring plenty, one I'd be more than happy to see us take. Certainly less of a risk (imo) than punting on Greg Morrison and Kevin Nisbet-esque youth guys with a handful of senior goals between them.

Stirling would be the best winger in the league imho.

Would the compensation be that much to let a player out of an unhappy contract, especially when their not likely to be in the same division?

@skylinedrifter

Archived