Having a wee look at the out of contract players this summer as I assume this is where the majority if not all our business comes from until the 'big' teams decide on loaning out the youngsters. A few interesting names in there that would get the rumour mill going

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:

Having a wee look at the out of contract players this summer as I assume this is where the majority if not all our business comes from until the 'big' teams decide on loaning out the youngsters. A few interesting names in there that would get the rumour mill going

Where's the list? 

1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:

We'll be supping on the leftovers, the unwanted, hopefully a gem may be uncovered, but our budget has halved (maybe even 3/4ered)

Any half decent players will be funded by generous DFC related sponsors or benefactors or loan deals, highly likely the latter.

The amount of ca$h lost by dropping down a League should not be underestimated, seriously.

If we were to win League 1 next season , we'd earn around half of what we earned for finishing 8th in The Championship :blink:

Season ticket sales have been slow too.

Cannae wait for Methil, Forfar or Montrose in January :1eye

Apparently (your manager talking to P&J) Boomer McLaughlin is set to re-join County. 

How did he do for you?

Liked him whenever I saw him in Dev games and had high hopes, surprised he was released at the time. Ketts will know him very well so trust his judgement. 

9 minutes ago, StuartTaylor said:

Apparently (your manager talking to P&J) Boomer McLaughlin is set to re-join County. 

How did he do for you?

Liked him whenever I saw him in Dev games and had high hopes, surprised he was released at the time. Ketts will know him very well so trust his judgement. 

Good player, got a pretty nasty injury which kept him out for much of the second half of the season. Was probably rushed back as we were so short of bodies and looked off the pace but if he has his injury problems behind him he'll do fine in the Championship.

36 minutes ago, StuartTaylor said:

How did he do for you?

That's a good move for both parties I reckon. He'll have a management team who know how to get the best out of him, whilst he proved himself in the first-half of the season to be (one of the all too few players we had last season with genuine) Championship quality.

It'll be interesting to see who goes on to have the better career out of him and Sam Wardrop (just signed for United). Both were a big part of the way we attacked, and it was no surprise that the wheels fell off our season when they both picked up bad injuries at the same time. Wardrop's a better natural athlete, but I'd say Boomer's a better technical player. Considering he was a full-back for a team at the bottom of the league his distribution was excellent most of the time, and the fitter he got the more often he was able to swing glorious crosses into the area for us to have nobody on the end of.

All the best to him.

How did he do for you?

Good player but prone to a bit of a lunge now and again. Should’ve been sent off against Falkirk in December and should’ve been sent off in the cup final but if he recovers ok from his injury he should be a good signing.

20 hours ago, Consolidate said:

I think a reasonable offer from any Championship team would be enough to see him depart. He's certainly good enough to continue playing at that level.

Not quite. I think we can safely say he wouldn't sign for Queen of the South again if it was the last thing he did. He's not hidden his bitterness about the way his spell here ended and recently tweeted about losing a tribunal against us.

4 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

That's a good move for both parties I reckon. He'll have a management team who know how to get the best out of him, whilst he proved himself in the first-half of the season to be (one of the all too few players we had last season with genuine) Championship quality.

It'll be interesting to see who goes on to have the better career out of him and Sam Wardrop (just signed for United). Both were a big part of the way we attacked, and it was no surprise that the wheels fell off our season when they both picked up bad injuries at the same time. Wardrop's a better natural athlete, but I'd say Boomer's a better technical player. Considering he was a full-back for a team at the bottom of the league his distribution was excellent most of the time, and the fitter he got the more often he was able to swing glorious crosses into the area for us to have nobody on the end of.

All the best to him.

Excellent distribution and glorious crosses would be handy.

Cheers.

Ross Forbes released by us. Wouldn't be surprised if we dropped down a league. Would be a good signing for you guys. 
I'd take Forbes but he doesn't strike me as an Aitken signing.

I'm hoping Aitken will chill out a bit with his policy of signing 99% grafters. It was clear last season that we lacked some creative spark and those creative types don't tend to be grafters. If he is willing to play players who aren't of the 'run through a brick wall' ilk then someone like Forbes would be ideal.

7 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'd take Forbes but he doesn't strike me as an Aitken signing.

I'm hoping Aitken will chill out a bit with his policy of signing 99% grafters. It was clear last season that we lacked some creative spark and those creative types don't tend to be grafters. If he is willing to play players who aren't of the 'run through a brick wall' ilk then someone like Forbes would be ideal.

See also : players who are willing to cross the half way line into the opposition half.

2 hours ago, mcintyre_gmfc said:

Ross Forbes released by us. Wouldn't be surprised if he dropped down a league. Would be a good signing for you guys. 

Forbes played the single worst trialist game I've ever witnessed when he played for us vs Partick Thistle. Amazingly, a couple of days later he signed for the Jags and went on to do well enough as they got promoted.

53 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Forbes played the single worst trialist game I've ever witnessed when he played for us vs Partick Thistle. Amazingly, a couple of days later he signed for the Jags and went on to do well enough as they got promoted.

You weren't at the Clydebank friendly in July last year, were you? Saheed Mustapha put in a trialist performance that I don't think will ever be topped - his first touch bounced about five yards in front of him almost straight from kick off, and he genuinely looked neither footed. Well apart from when he tackled, where he was totally two-footed.

If you'd told me after the game that he was actually a Sons fan and was only playing to make up the numbers I wouldn't have been surprised :lol:

30 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

You weren't at the Clydebank friendly in July last year, were you? Saheed Mustapha put in a trialist performance that I don't think will ever be topped - his first touch bounced about five yards in front of him almost straight from kick off, and he genuinely looked neither footed. Well apart from when he tackled, where he was totally two-footed.

If you'd told me after the game that he was actually a Sons fan and was only playing to make up the numbers I wouldn't have been surprised :lol:

I missed that game in fairness, but Forbes was just awful in the aforementioned match. Passing was shocking, didn't tackle, his first touch and ability to touch the ball were both none existent. Iirc he was subbed not too far into the 2nd half and at the time most Sons fans were probably glad and didn't want to see him again.

Archived