• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I'd say he'd be outwith our budget - unless the prospect of a staunch handshake is enough to tempt him in.

I'm doing a bit of reading of programmes from a decade ago (there's a reason behind it, honest) and I've just found a belting fan profile of a well known P&Ber with (what looks like in black and white at least) blonde highlights :lol:

You’ve e started so you’ll finish :lol:

Stewart is no great loss.

When he was on form he was one of the best players in the team but it was clear Aitken didn't rate him and he spent a large part of the season injured/on the bench. It's also worth noting it took him a fair whack of games to get up to speed at the start of the season, he looked absolutely honking for a good month or two.

His wage can be put to far better use IMO.

7 minutes ago, Young gun said:

You’ve e started so you’ll finish :lol:

:ph34r: Actually found a second P&Ber with an equally as dodgy hairstyle. They have 24 hours to fire me money, or else it's going on the dark web.

20 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

mark stewart offski...not too bothered TBH

I guess the lack of instant reaction on here kind of sums things up.

Stewart was a really good player when he was fit, but the fact he managed just three starts after his injury in early December means that I'm nonplussed to see him go. Next season we'll (imo) need a core group of 13 or 14 regular, good quality players, and Stewart's injury record unfortunately means that this is probably a good move for us. I'd imagine he'd be on decent money too.

On a personal level I hope he goes somewhere, gets fit and gets back to scoring goals. He's one of the easiest guys I've interviewed, it basically just felt like having a chat with a guy I'd known for years. Makes a change from other players who look terrified to say anything that isn't a cliche. Good luck to him.

Over to Stevie now to find a striker who is maybe a bit more suited to the way we play.

Just now, optimistic said:

Maybe means Barr will go if it’s the same deal

Both players have the option to break their deals. Given Stewart had a torrid time with injury and then was barely picked I can understand why he'd want to leave, and I can understand why Stevie wouldn't mind him going. I'd like to think that Mango - having enjoyed his best season in years injury wise, and started every game he was available for - might be sticking around unless a really attractive offer comes in.

43 minutes ago, The West Stand said:

Mark stewart any good?

Absolutely tremendous at being injured. Pretty decent footballer for the short periods he isn't injured. A sizeable Championship wage freed up which should please Stevie, I'm not convinced he wanted to keep him. 

He did us a turn for a short period and we thank him for that. On the whole I'm happy he's moved on.

32 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Both players have the option to break their deals. Given Stewart had a torrid time with injury and then was barely picked I can understand why he'd want to leave, and I can understand why Stevie wouldn't mind him going. I'd like to think that Mango - having enjoyed his best season in years injury wise, and started every game he was available for - might be sticking around unless a really attractive offer comes in.

I think a reasonable offer from any Championship team would be enough to see him depart. He's certainly good enough to continue playing at that level.

2 minutes ago, Consolidate said:

I think a reasonable offer from any Championship team would be enough to see him depart. He's certainly good enough to continue playing at that level.

He is, aye, but he's also got his own business and (certainly in an interview earlier in the season) said that part-time training seemed to suit his body better after three serious injuries. I could be totally wrong, but I'd imagine that staying part-time would suit him.

That's not to say that he won't get a better part-time offer. But I'd take a guess that (unless he had a big relegation wage drop written into his contract) he'll probably be our best paid played next season.

Spoiler

^^^Trying to convince himself

He is, aye, but he's also got his own business and (certainly in an interview earlier in the season) said that part-time training seemed to suit his body better after three serious injuries. I could be totally wrong, but I'd imagine that staying part-time would suit him.
That's not to say that he won't get a better part-time offer. But I'd take a guess that (unless he had a big relegation wage drop written into his contract) he'll probably be our best paid played next season.
Spoiler ^^^Trying to convince himself

I would imagine he wants to remain part-time and given his injury record I doubt he would want to play on an Astro pitch all season.

Just now, cameron2000 said:

I would imagine he wants to remain part-time and given his injury record I doubt he would want to play on an Astro pitch all season.

That's another good point actually.

In other news we tried to sign Greg Fleming according to the local press in Aberdeen, but he rejected offers from ourselves and Brechin to sign a new deal at Peterhead. Not too bothered about that to be honest, he's decent enough, but the wind at the Rock would cause him serious issues. Noticed yesterday that Ryan Scully's a free agent having spent the last few years doing pretty much nothing at Thistle. He had a couple of good loan spells with Dunfermline in League One and would do a job for us I reckon.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-football/mcinally-delighted-to-secure-keeper-fleming-on-new-two-year-deal/

5 hours ago, squeezeboxson said:

He'll do well for any team in league 1 or league 2....

If he stays fit enough to play plenty of games.

Hell of a disclaimer.

Stirling will be mad if he's not on a pay-as-you-play deal.

Archived