Scottish Junior Cup Final 2018

jimbaxters

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

So you reckon that playing it further away from the two clubs home villages would have got a bigger crowd?

I would guess the brilliant weather would have stopped a lot of neutrals from going as they would have been claimed by their family for a day out.

A few neutrals perhaps. 1000? I doubt it.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the guy from BBC Alba who was asking the questions to both Managers at the end of the  match was  a proper journalist, he would have asked them their thoughts on Junior Clubs joining the Lowland League, or even braver the future in Junior Football for TJ.

Should have hired David Tanner for the day or Jim White.

27 minutes ago, bravehearts dad said:

If the guy from BBC Alba who was asking the questions to both Managers at the end of the  match was  a proper journalist, he would have asked them their thoughts on Junior Clubs joining the Lowland League, or even braver the future in Junior Football for TJ.

Give yourself peace. 

40 minutes ago, bravehearts dad said:

Are you suggesting  Jim White and/or David Tanner are "proper journalists"?  :blink:

9 minutes ago, bravehearts dad said:

Naw but at least they would ask appropriate questions.

They've just won the Scottish Junior Cup ffs

Would Chick Young ask Scott Brown about the future of Scottish football 5 mins after lifting the Big Scottish.

2 minutes ago, santheman said:

They've just won the Scottish Junior Cup ffs

Would Chick Young ask Scott Brown about the future of Scottish football 5 mins after lifting the Big Scottish.

He's a consistently ridiculous poster. 

The final simply showed the poor quality of junior football now compared to 20 years ago.  There is no doubt that Talbot are the best team in this grade but I could not find one player of real quality on that awful park which used to be the best playing surface in Scotland.

The final should have been played in April or early May on a grass pitch such as Ayr or even Partick where at least they might get some neutrals.

Since this is probably the last season of truly Scottish Junior football as we know it what will happen now to save this great competition?

Log on here, barely slept after one of the most dramatic cup finals in Scottish football and.... it’s attendances, support numbers and reporters questions :lol: 

If you watch the build up both clubs were asked about the future of the juniors. It’s pretty much all reporters want to talk about that I’ve earry wigged on. Tucker would no doubt just say I’m the manager and I focus on football management if asked about that. The director on the day was the gent who does like question time and stuff so I wouldn’t imagine there was any lack of quality surrounding the questions  

Log on here, barely slept after one of the most dramatic cup finals in Scottish football and.... it’s attendances, support numbers and reporters questions :lol: 
If you watch the build up both clubs were asked about the future of the juniors. It’s pretty much all reporters want to talk about that I’ve earry wigged on. Tucker would no doubt just say I’m the manager and I focus on football management if asked about that. The director on the day was the gent who does like question time and stuff so I wouldn’t imagine there was any lack of quality surrounding the questions  

Did you do any filming, k?

12 hours ago, codofthenorth said:

Must have been a few Bot fans who left the ground in the 90th minute to make a quick get away. I was in the Hurlford end as a neutral, some finish. What happened with the Hurlford keeper? Went off down the tunnel with a team mate trying to calm him down. Next Saturdays game at Cumnock should be a good un.

The goalie had (in my opinion understandably given the lack of protection at set pieces) been going nuts from the end of the game onwards. He had booted water bottles, gloves and shin guards into the dug out.

An older guy from the Hurlford support went down and spoke to him to the left of the Hurlford dugout. It seemed that they were speaking amicably, but then the goalie became very angry and seemed to be offering the guy a square go. The guy then disappeared back up the stairs and the goalie was hustled down the tunnel.

Like you, I was sitting there as a neutral and couldn’t begin to speculate what had caused the argument.

7 hours ago, Dreghorn said:

The final simply showed the poor quality of junior football now compared to 20 years ago.  There is no doubt that Talbot are the best team in this grade but I could not find one player of real quality on that awful park which used to be the best playing surface in Scotland.

The final should have been played in April or early May on a grass pitch such as Ayr or even Partick where at least they might get some neutrals.

Since this is probably the last season of truly Scottish Junior football as we know it what will happen now to save this great competition?

IMO it should be opened up to every club in the LL, EoSL, SoSL, HFL and maybe the NCL too, and make it like the FA Trophy, a competition for non-league semi-pro clubs. Otherwise it will pretty much be a copy of the West Of Scotland Cup. But I don't think the SJFA are anywhere near ready for that.

7 hours ago, gogsy said:
7 hours ago, bravehearts dad said:

Naw but at least they would ask appropriate questions.

Here we have winning manager Tommy Sloan Tommy, why are you so good?

Dammit, you beat me to it.

22 hours ago, CopaMundials said:

Rugby Park is a horrible big empty nae atmosphere stadium which has only been full once for an Elton John concert .

If that game had been played at say Somerset yesterday you’d have got up to 7 possibly 8000 in there .

Luvly grass pitch , fans on top of the players , better atmosphere etc .

Also get the impression Kilmarnock punters cant really be doing with junior football .

Where as down in deepest darkest South Ayrshire i think what would help would be , theres more teams , fans and interest in the game .

Maybe not , but i’ve thought , moving that Ayrshire final would have helped .

Aye it's been full once. I've seen Killie play European games in it with 15,000+ there, same as games vs Rangers, Celtic, Hearts. Even seen 15,000+ against St Johsntone, Ayrshire Derby's with 12,000 on a Thursday night,  Hearts etc live on TV with 15,000 there  but it's been full once.  It's been sold out several times since the rebuild, including full internationals.

Even this season there has been some great atmosphere's at RP, even with 6k or so there.

if 5,000 fans can't make an atmosphere then I'd say it's done to the fact hat 80% of the folk there only turn out once a season for cup finals and aren't actually fans. The acoustics at RP create a good atmosphere with any decent number of fans singing. 

Most folk I know in Killie can't be fucked with Junior football, you're right there. Ayr punters are more used to watching that level of football so it might appeal to them more.

Ayr only managed to get a massive 2,400 for their promotion game though so I doubt they'd turn out to watch a junior match.

I'd quite happily let the games be played at Ayr though. Not like we make a massive amount out of hosting the games.

PS - there were more folk at Rod Stewart than Elton John!

The goalie had (in my opinion understandably given the lack of protection at set pieces) been going nuts from the end of the game onwards. He had booted water bottles, gloves and shin guards into the dug out.

An older guy from the Hurlford support went down and spoke to him to the left of the Hurlford dugout. It seemed that they were speaking amicably, but then the goalie became very angry and seemed to be offering the guy a square go. The guy then disappeared back up the stairs and the goalie was hustled down the tunnel.

Like you, I was sitting there as a neutral and couldn’t begin to speculate what had caused the argument.
Watching The replay and I think the goalie was at fault for both goals. He was too busy pushing Talbot players away from the front of him instead of concentrating on the ball.

Oh Elton or Rod , I knew it was one of the 2 . Och get off your soap box Squirrel jumper , i'm no interested in your European nights or your fabby acoustics or talking about Ayr or Killie , im talking about junior fitba .

How many did you say again you got ? Was it 15,000 , naw it was 15,000 oh wait was it no 15,000 .

Anyway , Somerset park for next seasons final should it be 2 Ayrshire teams . Get it in a gid auld traditional junior like footy stadium instead of a soulless breeze block built white elephant .

Only saw the 2nd half but I thought the picture quality from BBC Alba was bloody awful, I could hardly see a thing in certain areas of the pitch unless a pitch level camera was in use.

Archived