Scottish Junior Cup Final 2018

jimbaxters

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a sport football is! I was in front of the telly depressed at 90 minutes. Not only because of the scoreline but also because, frankly, the quality had been poor.

Then, it all happened. Resolute mental strength from Talbot, combined with the antithesis of this and ridiculous defending by Hurlford gave Talbot, arguably, their most famous victory yet. Incredible!

Watching the coverage of the celebrations and awarding of the trophy, I was impressed by how everyone conducted themselves. It must have been absolutely hellish for Hurlford, but Taz still spoke to TV in an honest and forthright way, Mr Henderson also put himself in front of the camera and spoke with as much grace and honour as he could muster under the circumstances. This is only to be admired. For some people to come on here with petty jibes about money and time wasting is unfair. They were playing the best side in the grade in the final of the National competition and held  a one goal lead over them twice, deservedly might I add.  Of course they would waste time! That happens everywhere, at every level. In short, the boys have been kicked enough. Take the plaudits and show some respect. If you want an example, look at the Auchinleck Talbot thread. The Hurlford boy "ex-german exile" has showed more balls in that one, short post than a lot of my own team's fans.

Let this not detract from what was achieved yesterday, and over the last four decades by Auchinleck Talbot Football Club. They are, to coin Shankly's phrase, a bastion of invinciblilty.  This is not just on the pitch, it's around the whole club. Sean McIlroy's interview at half time was telling when he said that when he came back to Talbot it was like coming home. All the same people were there, still working for the club. Auchinleck hasn't got a lot going for it, let's be honest. The late seventies/early eighties saw to that. This is why the institution of Talbot is so important to the community. It has united people in a cause worth working for. Yes, they make the odd mistake. That's human nature. However, taking  a step back from the small faux pas', the people of Auchinleck Talbot Club deserve all the success they have had/ will have, whichever grade they operate in. It's a story which never ceases to warm my heart. I sat in front of the telly on my knees like a wee boy yesterday, drinking it all in. 

Congratulations to you all. You should be so proud!

What a sport football is! I was in front of the telly depressed at 90 minutes. Not only because of the scoreline but also because, frankly, the quality had been poor.
Then, it all happened. Resolute mental strength from Talbot, combined with the antithesis of this and ridiculous defending by Hurlford gave Talbot, arguably, their most famous victory yet. Incredible!
Watching the coverage of the celebrations and awarding of the trophy, I was impressed by how everyone conducted themselves. It must have been absolutely hellish for Hurlford, but Taz still spoke to TV in an honest and forthright way, Mr Henderson also put himself in front of the camera and spoke with as much grace and honour as he could muster under the circumstances. This is only to be admired. For some people to come on here with petty jibes about money and time wasting is unfair. They were playing the best side in the grade in the final of the National competition and held  a one goal lead over them twice, deservedly might I add.  Of course they would waste time! That happens everywhere, at every level. In short, the boys have been kicked enough. Take the plaudits and show some respect. If you want an example, look at the Auchinleck Talbot thread. The Hurlford boy has showed more balls in that one, short post than a lot of my own team's fans.
Let this not detract from what was achieved yesterday, and over the last four decades by Auchinleck Talbot Football Club. They are, to coin Shankly's phrase, a bastion of invinciblilty.  This is not just on the pitch, it's around the whole club. Sean McIlroy's interview at half time was telling when he said that when he came back to Talbot it was like coming home. All the same people were there, still working for the club. Auchinleck hasn't got a lot going for it, let's be honest. The late seventies/early eighties saw to that. This is why the institution of Talbot is so important to the community. It has united people in a cause worth working for. Yes, they make the odd mistake. That's human nature. However, taking  a step back from the small faux pas', the people of Auchinleck Talbot Club deserve all the success they have had/ will have, whichever grade they operate in. It's a story which never ceases to warm my heart. I sat in front of the telly on my knees like a wee boy yesterday, drinking it all in. 
Congratulations to you all. You should be so proud!

Fair play to you for being magnanimous about it, glad you enjoyed your day.

Talbot will continue to thrive for many years , even decades, yet. Just look at the number of youngsters who witnessed  another cup win yesterday. They are the future of the club and will  be around in thirty, forty years with these memories as the next generation of committee members. There is no other club in any grade of Scottish football who have anything like that kind of support.

In my own club we had plenty of young supporters when I was growing up in the 1950's and 60's and they were the backbone of the club during the latter part of the 20th century and the beginning of the 21st. It is only the last few of these people who are still around and working to keep the club afloat. We do have some younger committee  but they are not coming through in sufficient numbers to provide a challenge to tthe likes of Auchinleck.

Of course football, and society, is changing very rapidly and it might work out very differently, who knows. But meantime we can only look on and admire what  they have achieved over the past forty years.

7 hours ago, WitsTheGoalieDain? said:

Around 8,000 at rugby park in 2009 when we played them. All 4 stands used. IMG_0953.jpgIMG_0372.jpg

i remember the day well,its a fact you need both teams to bring a support to generate a decent crowd attendance,Talbot always bring about 5K,if that stand holds 6 thousand as im told by a killie fan then i can assure anyone it was close to being full.Talbot have carried the burden of recent cup finals with paltry attendances from Glens,Hurlford twice Musselburgh and Shotts,only Liinlithgow and as you say Clydebank matched Talbots fans and  both attendances in those games were close to 10K.

17 minutes ago, hate cheats said:

who put these photos up..8 thousand my ass and both ends behind the goal only had 1 person in them..here we have fake fucking football now

What you slevering about? Those photos are from Clydebank game.

who put these photos up..8 thousand my ass and both ends behind the goal only had 1 person in them..here we have fake fucking football now

The 2009 Scottish Junior cup final between Clydebank and Auchinleck had around 8,000. A good 3/4K brought by both us and the talbot. Shame the result didn’t go our way but an excellent day out regardless, there hasn’t been a crowd like that in any other Junior Cup final since that day without a doubt. Only pictures I could find of the stands -

IMG_1150.jpg.10b3698055f0c8d978c79c7344edf709.jpgIMG_1152.jpg.6335990bd3060a5c20fa2c6d25ff2cda.jpgIMG_1154.jpg.12ad40f291996c19fcdbbeaef42198bc.jpgIMG_1155.jpg.3373ec5a609cb0035ed27e0267ed0442.jpg

Must have been a few Bot fans who left the ground in the 90th minute to make a quick get away. I was in the Hurlford end as a neutral, some finish. What happened with the Hurlford keeper? Went off down the tunnel with a team mate trying to calm him down. Next Saturdays game at Cumnock should be a good un.

49 minutes ago, WitsTheGoalieDain? said:

The 2009 Scottish Junior cup final between Clydebank and Auchinleck had around 8,000. A good 3/4K brought by both us and the talbot. Shame the result didn’t go our way but an excellent day out regardless, there hasn’t been a crowd like that in any other Junior Cup final since that day without a doubt. Only pictures I could find of the stands -

IMG_1150.jpg.10b3698055f0c8d978c79c7344edf709.jpgIMG_1152.jpg.6335990bd3060a5c20fa2c6d25ff2cda.jpgIMG_1154.jpg.12ad40f291996c19fcdbbeaef42198bc.jpgIMG_1155.jpg.3373ec5a609cb0035ed27e0267ed0442.jpg

I'd have said somewhere in the region of 10-11k personally. Was a tremendous turn out. Just wish I'd picked a seat in the shade, was gubbed with sunburn for a week after!

Some end to the game and winning any match like that is some feeling Talbot fans must have had a cracking night.  As for the football on show worst I've seen and not a great advert for the grade,  those last few minutes should quite rightly cover it up. The bot just don't know when there beat.

53 minutes ago, WitsTheGoalieDain? said:

The attendance at the 2013 final between Talbot and Linlithgow at Almondvale was certainly in the region of 8,000. 

Rugby Park is a horrible big empty nae atmosphere stadium which has only been full once for an Elton John concert .

If that game had been played at say Somerset yesterday you’d have got up to 7 possibly 8000 in there .

Luvly grass pitch , fans on top of the players , better atmosphere etc .

Also get the impression Kilmarnock punters cant really be doing with junior football .

Where as down in deepest darkest South Ayrshire i think what would help would be , theres more teams , fans and interest in the game .

Maybe not , but i’ve thought , moving that Ayrshire final would have helped .

Rugby Park is a horrible big empty nae atmosphere stadium which has only been full once for an Elton John concert .

If that game had been played at say Somerset yesterday you’d have got up to 7 possibly 8000 in there .

Luvly grass pitch , fans on top of the players , better atmosphere etc .

Also get the impression Kilmarnock punters cant really be doing with junior football .

Where as down in deepest darkest South Ayrshire i think what would help would be , theres more teams , fans and interest in the game .

Maybe not , but i’ve thought , moving that Ayrshire final would have helped .
So you reckon that playing it further away from the two clubs home villages would have got a bigger crowd?

I would guess the brilliant weather would have stopped a lot of neutrals from going as they would have been claimed by their family for a day out.

Archived