Mobile issues

Last couple of days, my mobile has dropped connection to my provider signal - can still use WhatsApp , but obviously only when linked to Wifi.  Normal mobile calls and texts are a no-no.

Initial googling suggested that there may be a problem with my SIM card, so I have ordered a replacement.  

BUT, since then, I have tried using my fitness app (Endomondo), and it tells me that it can't link the GPS either, so maybe it's not a SIM issue but something else?  If I use my Maps app however, the app pinpoints my location exactly, so surely they would either both work, or neither.

Any suggestions on what might be wrong, and a solution?*  Phone is an iPhone, and network provider is GiffGaff (so O2), if that help provide a solution.

*yeah yeah, windows down etc.

17 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Last couple of days, my mobile has dropped connection to my provider signal - can still use WhatsApp , but obviously only when linked to Wifi.  Normal mobile calls and texts are a no-no.

Initial googling suggested that there may be a problem with my SIM card, so I have ordered a replacement.  

BUT, since then, I have tried using my fitness app (Endomondo), and it tells me that it can't link the GPS either, so maybe it's not a SIM issue but something else?  If I use my Maps app however, the app pinpoints my location exactly, so surely they would either both work, or neither.

Any suggestions on what might be wrong, and a solution?*  Phone is an iPhone, and network provider is GiffGaff (so O2), if that help provide a solution.

*yeah yeah, windows down etc.

Does your maps app work when you don't have a wifi signal? Apparently maps uses wifi and phone signal instead of GPS but your fitness app uses GPS. Anyway, it sounds like a software problem that the new sim might fix, otherwise your phone's fucked.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Does your maps app work when you don't have a wifi signal? Apparently maps uses wifi and phone signal instead of GPS but your fitness app uses GPS. Anyway, it sounds like a software problem that the new sim might fix, otherwise your phone's fucked.

Will test maps later when I'm out doing Dads Taxi.

Forgot to add in original post, I swapped sims between my phone and my daughters phone - my sim in her phone gets a signal, her sim in my phone doesn't, so pretty much a phone issue.

5 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Forgot to add in original post, I swapped sims between my phone and my daughters phone - my sim in her phone gets a signal, her sim in my phone doesn't, so pretty much a phone issue.

I'd check with Giff Gaff.

8 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Nope, can't separate the battery. Not that I know how to anyway. 

If I was you I'd wait and try the new sim and if that doesn't work do a factory set. And if that doesn't work call GiffGaff.

On 22/05/2018 at 18:35, Boghead ranter said:

Be a Ware.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/6350188/sim-swap-scam-tsb-customers/

Got a call from an Apple Expert on Wednesday, explained in full what was wrong, and what I had established so far.  Apple Expert lassie advises me to open up iTunes on my laptop, and connect my phone, then tells me to click a couple of options.  Up comes a window with six boxes, asking for a code.

me : Where do I get that code?

her : I've just texted it to your phone

me : well I can't enter the code then

her : why not?

me : do you want to take a second to re-read the notes you've just taken when I explained the issue?

her : oh.

:lol:

Got a different expert yesterday, who sent me a link to access, which would completely reset the software in the phone.  2 hours to run this last night.......and the phone is no different after.

Got a call scheduled with a 3rd expert today, but I think I'll end up down at Larbert's excellent Technology Repair Centre instead.

Archived