Gaelic Gaelic

I know a little- eileanach relatives - but I've never felt the need to properly learn it, as I reckon its use would be pretty minimal living in the Lowlands as I do.
I'm all for preserving it in its traditional heartland, but it seems a wee bit daft to make the likes of train station signs bilingual in areas that have never been Gaelic-speaking...our local one had the wrong Gaelic translation up for about a year before anyone bothered to complain.
It 's interesting that the translation of Kilwinning also happens to be the mindset of some of the locals:

JgGJClt.jpg.0b10cb07b6f71012639017495c447857.jpg

Soldiers church... Interesting...

1 minute ago, Peppino Impastato said:

No they don't

They do, unless they're not from Scotland. Stop arguing because you've been found out as a slaver, again.

Re signs in the central belt: there's plenty of places in the Highlands where the Gaelic name and the English name are totally different. See, Beauly or Dingwall as two examples.

1 minute ago, yoda said:

They do, unless they're not from Scotland. Stop arguing because you've been found out as a slaver, again.

Re signs in the central belt: there's plenty of places in the Highlands where the Gaelic name and the English name are totally different. See, Beauly or Dingwall as two examples.

That's not true.  Lots of people from Scotland don't know that.

Just now, John Lambies Doos said:

Soldiers church... Interesting...

I did think it was somebody having a joke. Like I say, my local station (Kirkhill) was up as Cnoc Mhoire (more hill?) for ages...they changed it to something else that escapes me, but it's still not Cnoc Eaglaise which I think is the right translation.

21 minutes ago, bud1876 said:

Theres an area here in Nova Scotia called Cape Breton where they have a lot of Gaelic speakers and its taught in some schools there.
Also some road signs are in English and Gaelic.
From what i hear people say.... theres more people speak Gaelic there than the whole of Scotland.
Not sure how they know that though.

There may have been more Gaelic speakers in Canada at one point but from the last census the number of Gaelic speakers was around about 3,000.  7,000 if you included Irish Gaelic.  Fairly certain there's about 70,000 Gaelic speakers in Scotland. 

9 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

I did think it was somebody having a joke. Like I say, my local station (Kirkhill) was up as Cnoc Mhoire (more hill?) for ages...they changed it to something else that escapes me, but it's still not Cnoc Eaglaise which I think is the right translation.

Won't pretend to be in anyway an expert but sometimes the 'kirk' bit is an anglicised version of the Welsh/ ancient British term rather than church.  

Eg Kirkintilloch is actually from the Welsh for "fort on end of the hill" rather than church on the hill as youd expect. 

Anyway. My brother has the Gaelic yet I can barely say more than a few greetings. 

9 minutes ago, PWL said:

Won't pretend to be in anyway an expert but sometimes the 'kirk' bit is an anglicised version of the Welsh/ ancient British term rather than church.  

Eg Kirkintilloch is actually from the Welsh for "fort on end of the hill" rather than church on the hill as youd expect. 

Anyway. My brother has the Gaelic yet I can barely say more than a few greetings. 

'S feàrr Gàidhlig bhriste na Gàidhlig idir (I might have wrote that wrong though,  but broken Gaelic is better than none at all)

My sister-in-law is a native Gaelic speaker.  I used to be very cynical about the promotion of it, the cost etc but there are far bigger wastes of money aren't there?   I'd rather the government wasted money on Gaelic than plenty of other stuff.  I do think that we should have signs in Old Norse, to reflect my Scandinavian heritage.  If this isn't enacted I will jump into a longship and start burning down coastal monastries.  Again. 

Howling at Frank McAvennie having an opinion on this though.  

Work with a fella who speaks it fluently, not that it comes in for much use in London. 

Can remember when we were choosing our languages for secondary school, if you asked for Gaelic you got sent on a little day course to make sure you liked it. Can remember singing some song about Abriachan which was quite a catchy number. 

Bar the bloke in question above, don't think I know anyone who speaks it, doesn't bother me either way. 

I think it should be taught intensively at school.

People in North Wales are brought up to learn Welsh and I think it’s brilliant. I remember being in awe at a couple of welsh lassies on holiday who were having a conversation in Welsh.

I think it’s an important part of our cultural heritage, and it should be taught in school from a young age. Kids can get the choice at secondary school whether they wish to continue or not.

1 minute ago, jamamafegan said:

I think it should be taught intensively at school.

People in North Wales are brought up to learn Welsh and I think it’s brilliant. I remember being in awe at a couple of welsh lassies on holiday who were having a conversation in Welsh.

I think it’s an important part of our cultural heritage, and it should be taught in school from a young age. Kids can get the choice at secondary school whether they wish to continue or not.

Gaelic is not part of my cultural heritage, its not part of my parents cultural heritage either, that logic doesn't stack up. If its something that's important to parents then they should make the effort rather than trying to get the education system to foist a dying language on kids.

I'm not against people wanting to keep it going, good luck to them but I'd rather the kids got taught first aid than Gaelic at school.