Gaelic Gaelic

• 2 months later...

https://speakgaelic.scot/

"The BBC together with MGAlba (the company running the BBC’s Gaelic medium TV channel BBC Alba), Bord na Gàidhlig, the Scottish Government, and the Gaelic language college based on Skye, Sabhal Mòr Os***** have funded and developed a £4 million major new initiative to promote learning Gaelic. This involves the release of a wealth of new materials for online learning. These will be more extensive and in-depth than the highly popular and excellent Gaelic Duolingo course and will provide structured learning of the language in four levels, from absolute beginners to advanced learners."

Looking forward to this. Hitting a bit of a wall on duolingo/learngaelic and every little helps. 

18 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

https://speakgaelic.scot/

"The BBC together with MGAlba (the company running the BBC’s Gaelic medium TV channel BBC Alba), Bord na Gàidhlig, the Scottish Government, and the Gaelic language college based on Skye, Sabhal Mòr Os***** have funded and developed a £4 million major new initiative to promote learning Gaelic. This involves the release of a wealth of new materials for online learning. These will be more extensive and in-depth than the highly popular and excellent Gaelic Duolingo course and will provide structured learning of the language in four levels, from absolute beginners to advanced learners."

Looking forward to this. Hitting a bit of a wall on duolingo/learngaelic and every little helps. 

I'd be interested to know how folk get on as it's a different pedagogical approach to what has been tried before.

I was involved in some of the early trials and it's very much about communication and speaking rather than learning grammar and tables of prepositional pronouns.

8 hours ago, supermik said:

If nippy is pushing this, is she fluent?

Because every politician trying to promote science or engineering must be highly proficient in physics, chemistry and biology, having put modern studies on the back-burner.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 01/10/2022 at 21:02, welshbairn said:

Sorry Gaelic learners, but I laughed.

There's a tidal island up on the north coast called Eilean Dubh, which translates to 'Black Island', pictured below.

You'll struggle to find a paler coloured island in Scotland.  Maybe they named it at night.

image.png.0bb37616635b6e688402e9e958430ead.png

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

There's a tidal island up on the north coast called Eilean Dubh, which translates to 'Black Island', pictured below.

You'll struggle to find a paler coloured island in Scotland.  Maybe they named it at night.

image.png.0bb37616635b6e688402e9e958430ead.png

Was told that although dubh is gaelic for black, when used in sgian dubh it means hidden knife. Maybe this is hidden island.

37 minutes ago, MacDuffman said:

Was told that although dubh is gaelic for black, when used in sgian dubh it means hidden knife. Maybe this is hidden island.

It literally means black knife ie a knife hidden in the dark. Dubh doesn't mean hidden.

As for Eilean Dubh I can see loads of black on the rocks in that photo. It's maybe Dubh compared to other nearby islands or its black when seen from a distance.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

As for Eilean Dubh I can see loads of black on the rocks in that photo. It's maybe Dubh compared to other nearby islands or its black when seen from a distance.

I did consider that, although that's the intertidal zone, which you can only see when the tide's out and it doesn't look like an island.   Given that you don't know if it's an island or not unless you have a tide table, I'd be all for Eilean Schrodinger.

I think Gaelic provides a roadmap for how the Scots language (historically a much more widespread language) can develop in the coming decades.

Was it only back in the 80s Gaelic was deemed a language as opposed to a dialect offshoot of Irish Gaelic?

Meanwhile, Scots could be a considered a language. Although not mutually incomprehensible with English that didn't stop Norwegian, Danish and Swedish being considered separate language.

Scandalous that Scots isn't taught in schools and we are the only nation in the UK lacking a primary indigenous language (Gaelic only ever being confined to a small part of the country).