Gaelic Gaelic

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Ceart gu leòr tapadh leat.

Wish I had more vocab but I like trying to get a chat going as it is handy to figure out what I'm likely to need to use so I can go and learn emoji16.png

To that end please correct as I go off piste here:

Tha mi toilichte, seo Nollaig cha mhòr.

Sin agad e, Micsu.

A bheil thu a' bhotadh? Bhòtadh mi PNA (Partaidh Nàiseanta Na h-Alba).

50 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I'm rattling through the app at a fair ol' rate but as well as, hopefully, speaking it at some point I kinda want to "get ma ear in". Are there any good programmes on Radio nan Gaidheil I could listen to via the BBC Sounds app that'd be good for a beginner tae get intae?

Spors Na Seachdain is quite good. It's a sports program and you'll hear a fair bit of English plus topics if you are sports fan, will know a bit about. Tend to USE Dundee United ; Aberdeen rather their Gaelic names, and often you'll hear quite a few English words in there. 

Beag air Bheag is good too. A learners program with a mixture of listening to interviews from other Radio Nan Gaidheal programs and then breaking down some of the phrases in the sentence. The presenter also speaks slowly throughout the whole program too which is great, especially for morale/learning. Thinking ''Yas, I just listened to a whole program and understand 90% of it," They speak to a learner of the week too and whilst for some it might be a bit too niché with the ''what's your favourite song?" etc type questions, but its a great wee to get the language in your ear and also hear other accents too. 

Edited by Kejan

Purely for learning, Beag air Bheag is good. As Kejan says, it’s mainly Gaelic but quite accessible. You can download as a podcast.

Highly recommend Litir do Luchd Ionnsachaidh (a letter to learners) as well. You can access via learngaelic.scot and download pdf transcript, explanation of points of grammar and audio. He speaks slowly and clearly and you’ll get loads of idiomatic phrases, quickly expand your grammar, learn a lot of interesting history, and there’s over 1000 and counting to listen to. Also available on BBC Sounds or podcast

On 21/05/2018 at 22:44, Hillonearth said:

I did think it was somebody having a joke. Like I say, my local station (Kirkhill) was up as Cnoc Mhoire (more hill?) for ages...they changed it to something else that escapes me, but it's still not Cnoc Eaglaise which I think is the right translation.

Some bump for this but i went back to the start of the thread for....reasons...

Co-dhiù, Cnoc Mhoire would be the Hill of Mary (as in the mother of Jesus).

Màiri is the name you would give a child. Moire is the name given to the Virgin Mary only and is always at sites of religious dedication. So, Kirkhill is probably a post-reformation rendering of the original name.

Tobermory - Tobar Mhoire - would be the Well of Mary as would Tibbermore in Perthshire 

Its now Cnoc na Cille or hill of the cell (as in a relgious cell). Thats were we get the Kil prefix from in Scots.

Kilmarnock - Cille Mhàrnaig - Church of St Marnock

Kilbride - Cille Bhrìghde - Church of St Bridget 

Kilpatrick- Cille Phàdraig - Church of St Patrick 

Edited by invergowrie arab

On 22/05/2018 at 22:55, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Is there a single book of any significance that was first published in Gaelic?

Some bump for this too.

If you mean before english then the Bible.

If you mean a book then prose writing was not highly valued in Gaelic culture whereas the Bardic traditions are.

If you mean literature more widely  then Somhairle MacGill-Eain's Hallaig and Moladh Beinn Dòbhrain (In Praise of Ben Dorain) by Donnachadh Bàn Mac an t-Saoir are considered some of the finest works of poetry written in any language.

Ian Lom, Dughall Bochanan and Iain Crichton Smith are among other hugely important Gaelic poets.

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:36, Snobot said:

Purely for learning, Beag air Bheag is good. As Kejan says, it’s mainly Gaelic but quite accessible. You can download as a podcast.

Firstly I meant to quote Kejan here but this is all the same. Cheers for the shout. I managed about five minutes before I lost it. All the welcomes and stuff at the start were easy enough to follow then it was just catching the odd word here and there and trying to decipher a meaning but got too difficult. Early days but quite encouraging as well.

1 minute ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Firstly I meant to quote Kejan here but this is all the same. Cheers for the shout. I managed about five minutes before I lost it. All the welcomes and stuff at the start were easy enough to follow then it was just catching the odd word here and there and trying to decipher a meaning but got too difficult. Early days but quite encouraging as well.

I meant to say beag air bheag has a wee side show called Blasad Beag (a little taste) which is more for beginners https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/9wKsrkLJNfFrJsY1WNnFHY/blasad-beag

On 16/12/2019 at 00:26, invergowrie arab said:

Some bump for this too.

If you mean before english then the Bible.

If you mean a book then prose writing was not highly valued in Gaelic culture whereas the Bardic traditions are.

If you mean literature more widely  then Somhairle MacGill-Eain's Hallaig and Moladh Beinn Dòbhrain (In Praise of Ben Dorain) by Donnachadh Bàn Mac an t-Saoir are considered some of the finest works of poetry written in any language.

Ian Lom, Dughall Bochanan and Iain Crichton Smith are among other hugely important Gaelic poets.

Or in other words "No"

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)