Gaelic Gaelic

As someone with a bit of the language ; have to say, seeing lots of stuff on social media and even a few pals doing it is brilliant.

Sure, 99% of folk won't go any further or will get bored in a week , but for someone who supports the language and last few years has been (or maybe just the bits I've seen) a wave of negativity aimed at it. Even heid bawbag, Wings over Scotland hates it.

It'll surely have more learners on Duolingo more than native-speakers.

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

I was wondering, when people say "cheery bye" is that something that's come from Tíoraidh meaning bye in Gaelic?

I think tìoraidh comes was adopted from English mid 20th centurt but I could be wrong

Lots of Scots/English words phrases are Gaelic in origin though.

Polis, smashin ( 's math sin = that is good) etc

Apart from that you already have loads more Gaelic than you think.

Loch, glen, ben, whisky, sgian dubh, quaich, etc

After only three days there is now more duolingo learners than people who speak it. Its great

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

I was wondering, when people say "cheery bye" is that something that's come from Tíoraidh meaning bye in Gaelic?

No, it’s just ‘cheery’ using Gaelic spelling orthodoxy. Some older Gaels hate it as it is seen by some as lazy Anglicisation. 

it would more properly be “Slàn leat” (“health to you”) or ”Soraidh leat” (farewell to you) to which the reply would be “mar sin leat” (same to you), but “mar sin leat / mar sin leibh” has become fairly standard as the first thing said as you’ll notice in Duolingo.

Leat / leibh work the same way as the french tu / vouz eg sibh to more than one person or more formally to an older person or someone you don’t know.

23 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Chan eil Moonster beag agus snog, tha Moonster mòr agus dona.

Tha Mixufixit sgoinneil emoji3.png

I've not got to the point where it teaches you the phrases I need to tell you to f**k off yet :P

On another note, I love that they get the key phrases that you'll need the most out early:

IMG-20191202-WA0016.jpeg

36 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I've not got to the point where it teaches you the phrases I need to tell you to f**k off yet :P

On another note, I love that they get the key phrases that you'll need the most out early:

IMG-20191202-WA0016.jpeg

Gaelic swearing is pretty mild.

*****h Iain Grot ort. Literally John o Groats house on you or figuratively get yourself to John o Groats  is about as strong as it gets

FFS T a i g h is blocked on here.

Edited by invergowrie arab

Gaelic swearing is pretty mild.
*****h Iain Grot ort. Literally John o Groats house on you or figuratively get yourself to John o Groats  is about as strong as it gets
FFS T a i g h is blocked on here.

Am I right in thinking that because original Gaelic speakers were so fiercely religious, they didn’t actually have words for proper swearing?