2018/19 Dutch football

Marten

Some shocks in the Dutch Cup last 32 this week. PSV lost 2-3 at home to RKC Waalwijk, who are struggling in the 2nd tier. Third tier AFC & Kozakken Boys beat 2nd tier opposition (TOP Oss & Almere City) and 4th tier ODIN '59 won 1-3 away at top flight FC Emmen. In total, 9 Eredivisie teams, 4 2nd tier, 2 3rd tier and 1 4h tier made the last 16.

Draw for the round of 16 (level of the club between brackets):

Willem II (1) v AFC (3)
ODIN '59 (4) v SC Heerenveen (1)
FC Twente (2) v RKC Waalwijk (2)
Feyenoord (1) v FC Utrecht (1)
AZ (1) v PEC Zwolle (1)
Roda JC (2) v Ajax (1)
Fortuna Sittard (1) v SC Cambuur (2)
Kozakken Boys (3) v Vitesse (1)

Edited by Marten

12 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Bizzare one as Feyenoord VVV-Venlo abadoned 35 seconds in after the floodlights chuck it at De Kuip

Considering abandoned matches in the Dutch league (just like nearly anywhere outside of the British Isles) are generally finished at a later moment from the moment of abandonment and not replayed, they will only have to come back for 89 minutes and 25 seconds. ;) 

• 2 months later...

up to the 'winterstop' ajax had conceded eight goals in their first seventeen games; first game after the resumption they drew 4-4 with Heerenveen, then - this:

http://yfl.matchat.online/player/html/rYbbUqRi4W?popup=yes&autoplay=0

:lol:

(de graafschap bottom and heading for inevitable relegation, obviously, even after stuffing five past fortuna sittard last week...)

53 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

PSV winning 5-0 luuk De Jong with three of them.

PSV were always gonna win but that sending off shouldn't have been.

Right from kick off Sittard's defending was terrible.

Good to see Freesports showing some live Eredivisie games.

What a cracking late strike, for Excelsior to win 2-1 v Feyenoord.

Amazing this and 3 vital points for us. There is no better moment to play Feyenoord than just after them humping Ajax. They rarely keep the momentum going.

1 minute ago, Marten said:
3 hours ago, Silverton End said:
What a cracking late strike, for Excelsior to win 2-1 v Feyenoord.

Amazing this and 3 vital points for us. There is no better moment to play Feyenoord than just after them humping Ajax. They rarely keep the momentum going.

Lifts Excelsior out of the bottom 3, it really is a 2-horse race for the title though.

Enjoyed the comeback by Excelsior today, great banner too "Few but Loyal"

15 hours ago, Silverton End said:

Lifts Excelsior out of the bottom 3, it really is a 2-horse race for the title though.

Enjoyed the comeback by Excelsior today, great banner too "Few but Loyal"

I love that banner too and it's quite accurate imo. We've got a very small following for this level, but most of the ones we do have are very loyal. If we stay up this season we'll set a new club record of 6 consecutive seasons in the top flight. The old record that has now been equalled was from the 1980's. That's quite impressive for a small club that so called "experts" keep saying will go down every season. I've heard us being called the "Dutch Accies" and I think that's pretty much correct.

In terms of the title race, I can't see past PSV winning it. Ajax are just not consistent enough.

1 hour ago, Marten said:

I love that banner too and it's quite accurate imo. We've got a very small following for this level, but most of the ones we do have are very loyal. If we stay up this season we'll set a new club record of 6 consecutive seasons in the top flight. The old record that has now been equalled was from the 1980's. That's quite impressive for a small club that so called "experts" keep saying will go down every season. I've heard us being called the "Dutch Accies" and I think that's pretty much correct.

In terms of the title race, I can't see past PSV winning it. Ajax are just not consistent enough.

Fingers crossed you stay up & match that record.

Dutch Accies, Dumbarton just had 6 seasons in The Championship, we are maybe the Scottish Excelsior then. :lol:

On 04/02/2019 at 07:39, Marten said:

Good victory for Excelsior today

:thumsup2

1 hour ago, Silverton End said:

Good victory for Excelsior today

:thumsup2

Yep, very important. We looked like messing it up, but as soon as we got behind, we actually started playing football and scored 2 quick ones to win it. :)