2018/19 Dutch football

Marten

5 hours ago, DutchBorderer said:

I grew up rather close to Deventer, and I can't name a single fan of Go Ahead who isn't a complete and utter twat (and I am fully aware of the irony encompassed by that statement). The fanbase in general also has a propensity for shitty behaviour, but then that may be my local bias.

Sparta is artificially kept alive by a handful of businessmen and the club and fans alike have the worst entitlement issues in world football, in addition to being ridiculously arrogant. There is no equivalent to them in Scottish football, but if I had to give an example, Sparta would be like Dumbarton if the Sons demanded a fixed spot in the Premiership based on their century old league titles and called every team outside of West Dunbartonshire useless diddy farmers.

The stunned silence that engulfed De Adelaarshorst at the final whistle last night was rather amusing,  especially after Langedijks goal celebration, the RKC fans enjoyed it though.

An amazing game!

20 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

I wish there was a more comprehensive set of highlights out there, but this will do for now. Some game;

A screamer of a goal, in front of the away end, for the equaliser to 4-4. Scenes, as they say!

8 hours ago, DutchBorderer said:

I grew up rather close to Deventer, and I can't name a single fan of Go Ahead who isn't a complete and utter twat (and I am fully aware of the irony encompassed by that statement). The fanbase in general also has a propensity for shitty behaviour, but then that may be my local bias.

Sparta is artificially kept alive by a handful of businessmen and the club and fans alike have the worst entitlement issues in world football, in addition to being ridiculously arrogant. There is no equivalent to them in Scottish football, but if I had to give an example, Sparta would be like Dumbarton if the Sons demanded a fixed spot in the Premiership based on their century old league titles and called every team outside of West Dunbartonshire useless diddy farmers.

:lol: fair enough.

Always liked Go Ahead because of their colours. Maybe “liked” is a bit strong but I’ll always cheer on the red & yellow team in a totally neutral situation...

Great highlights package for that game. Some excellent scenes in both ends.

Have a soft spot for Sparta due to their history (oldest Dutch team) and cool ground. Also Villa won the European Cup in Rotterdam; admittedly at Feyenoord's ground.

Pedantic git checking in but they are not the oldest team but rather oldest professional team. Oldest club overall is Koninklijke HFC from Haarlem who were founded 1879 & started out as a rugby club before switching to football in 1883 (5 years before Sparta were founded). They currently play in the 3rd tier Tweede Divisie which is top tier of semi-pro/amateur football.

Could any of the Dutch posters (or anyone else) tell me the best place to find a comprehensive list of Dutch pre season games? I know there won't be many announced yet though.

I'm in Amsterdam from 5th-7th July so a game in Sat 6th would be ideal. Got the bus/train to IJmuiden last year to see Telstar v some local amateur side.

3 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Could any of the Dutch posters (or anyone else) tell me the best place to find a comprehensive list of Dutch pre season games? I know there won't be many announced yet though.

I'm in Amsterdam from 5th-7th July so a game in Sat 6th would be ideal. Got the bus/train to IJmuiden last year to see Telstar v some local amateur side.

Not too many scheduled yet, comprehensive lists will be published in the coming weeks so will keep an eye out for you. Telstar are a good shout again, and same for ADO Den Haag; both tend to play amateur sides in their local area.

Edited by DutchBorderer

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/06/2019 at 10:27, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Thanks. Much appreciated.

@Am Featha *****h Nan Clach

ADO Den Haag is playing HVV Laakkwartier on the 6th, in The Hague (which is close enough to Amsterdam not to be bothersome).

That same day AZ plays Club Brugge, albeit in Garderen (about 80 minutes by car).

Feyenoord is playing FC Dordrecht in Dordrecht (not sure how long that will take by car)

I would say ADO is your best bet here, the other Eredivisie clubs play their matches too far from Amsterdam (either in NL or abroad) or on different days.

12 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

@Am Featha *****h Nan Clach

ADO Den Haag is playing HVV Laakkwartier on the 6th, in The Hague (which is close enough to Amsterdam not to be bothersome).

That same day AZ plays Club Brugge, albeit in Garderen (about 80 minutes by car).

Feyenoord is playing FC Dordrecht in Dordrecht (not sure how long that will take by car)

I would say ADO is your best bet here, the other Eredivisie clubs play their matches too far from Amsterdam (either in NL or abroad) or on different days.

Akshually, that same day SC Telstar's Open Day is taking place; it starts at 14:00 with a 17:00 kick-off for Telstar - VV IJmuiden in Telstar's home stadium (30 minutes from A'dam city centre). Free entry, and you can go onto the pitch before the match, sit in the players' coach, get autographs, and tour the changing rooms, physio chamber, and the offices if you ask nicely; new shirts will be on sale, and matchworn tops will be sold off for cheap*.

*I will be there myself a few hours early to buy every single matchworn shirt but can reserve one for you if that's your thing and you decide to go.

Edited by DutchBorderer

I'll be in Amsterdam 26-27 October for a gig, looking for a game or two over the weekend. Has to be close enough to Amsterdam to get back in time for the flight at 9ish on Sunday.

Ajax v Feyenoord obviously is appealing but I expect tickets will be scarce.

This picture looks like my choices in top league on Sunday daytime, so guessing Rotterdam or Eindhoven are the best bets?

Second league is on Saturday evening so will clash with gig. Anything likely to be on around Saturday daytime?

Any tips on where to head? Screenshot_20190620_223514_com.android.chrome.jpg

Akshually, that same day SC Telstar's Open Day is taking place; it starts at 14:00 with a 17:00 kick-off for Telstar - VV IJmuiden in Telstar's home stadium (30 minutes from A'dam city centre). Free entry, and you can go onto the pitch before the match, sit in the players' coach, get autographs, and tour the changing rooms, physio chamber, and the offices if you ask nicely; new shirts will be on sale, and matchworn tops will be sold off for cheap*.

*I will be there myself a few hours early to buy every single matchworn shirt but can reserve one for you if that's your thing and you decide to go.
Thanks for that. I knew about the Telstar open day and match. I went to the same fixture last year so will head to Den Haag for their game.

I'm presuming it's at the Kyocera stadium. Are the opposition a local amateur team?

2 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Thanks for that. I knew about the Telstar open day and match. I went to the same fixture last year so will head to Den Haag for their game.

I'm presuming it's at the Kyocera stadium. Are the opposition a local amateur team?

No, it's at HVV's ground, kick-off at 5 PM. Tickets at the gate, cash and card accepted. The address is;

Jan van Beersstraat 69 

2523 JS

Den Haag

The ground is called Terrein Laakkwartier, rather cozy. It's not too far from ADO's freshly renamed Cars Jeans Stadion so your travel time won't be impacted.

HVV is an amateur side from Den Haag and traditionally ADO's first opposition in pre-season. There is zero animosity between fans because anyone from the Laakkwartier neighbourhood is an ADO fan anyway. Home team will get a spanking but it probably won't be by double digits.

ADO players to look out for are cult hero defender Tommie Beugelsdijk, local boy Lex Immers, and Erik Falkenburg, journeyman extraordinaire and holder of the Dutch record, having played in the Eredivisie for 7 different clubs.

Edited by DutchBorderer

No, it's at HVV's ground, kick-off at 5 PM. Tickets at the gate, cash and card accepted. The address is;
Jan van Beersstraat 69 
2523 JS
Den Haag
The ground is called Terrein Laakkwartier, rather cozy. It's not too far from ADO's freshly renamed Cars Jeans Stadion so your travel time won't be impacted.
HVV is an amateur side from Den Haag and traditionally ADO's first opposition in pre-season. There is zero animosity between fans because anyone from the Laakkwartier neighbourhood is an ADO fan anyway. Home team will get a spanking but it probably won't be by double digits.
ADO players to look out for are cult hero defender Tommie Beugelsdijk, local boy Lex Immers, and Erik Falkenburg, journeyman extraordinaire and holder of the Dutch record, having played in the Eredivisie for 7 different clubs.
I'm torn between Telstar and Laakkwartier.

I had a google search of Laakwartier's ground and it looks like a glorified sports complex. Is it worth visiting?

I've never been to Den Haag so might go just to do some sightseeing during the day pre match. By sight seeing I mean drinking beer in a park.

12 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I had a google search of Laakwartier's ground and it looks like a glorified sports complex. Is it worth visiting?

Even the word glorified is doing it a wee bit too much justice (I played a tournament there as a youth once), the atmosphere and football should be great but the ground itself not so much. Ever been to K-Park in East Kilbride? Bit like that.

Den Haag is a lovely city though, so you could do much worse.

Even the word glorified is doing it a wee bit too much justice (I played a tournament there as a youth once), the atmosphere and football should be great but the ground itself not so much. Ever been to K-Park in East Kilbride? Bit like that.
Den Haag is a lovely city though, so you could do much worse.
Thanks.

Think we'll go to Den Haag then. Supporting Stenhousemuir, I'm no stranger to lower league grounds.

• 3 months later...

Hallo Vrienden!

My next trip to Amsterdam is upon me. I am looking for a game on Saturday 26th which I can access relatively easily in order to get back to the city centre for a gig at 7pm.

I have found a safe bet of Ajax Amateurs v FC Lisse at De Toekomst to fall back on. But I wondered whether I was missing a trick here. Is there a better game to aim for?

Also open to a game on Sunday, my flight back that night is quite late so reasonably flexible.

All tips appreciated! I can see the fixture lists for the top four leagues but my geography re proximity to Amsterdam isn't great.