Albion Rovers Season Tickets

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, BullyWeeLad said:

The thing is with Clyde we will EVENTUALLY get reasonably good again at one point :lol:

Clyde haven't played in the top division of Scottish football in 43 years. They've never played in the premier league, and the last time they were good they were effectively a different club.

There's more chance of them being overtaken by Cumbernauld Colts than of them troubling the full-time clubs ever again.

7 hours ago, GordonS said:

Clyde haven't played in the top division of Scottish football in 43 years. They've never played in the premier league, and the last time they were good they were effectively a different club.

There's more chance of them being overtaken by Cumbernauld Colts than of them troubling the full-time clubs ever again.

Think you’re getting us and rangers mixed up when you say effectively a different club. 

1 hour ago, SLClyde said:

Think you’re getting us and rangers mixed up when you say effectively a different club. 

1 hour ago, haufdaft said:

You'll have to explain that one to me.

Nobody thinks Livi and Meadowbank Thistle are really the same club, but the only difference between them and Clyde is that, when they also moved nearly 20 miles from their home city to a new town (in both sense of the term), they didn't change their name.

Nobody thinks Livi and Meadowbank Thistle are really the same club, but the only difference between them and Clyde is that, when they also moved nearly 20 miles from their home city to a new town (in both sense of the term), they didn't change their name.
Except Clyde FC have the same name, the same fans, the same club colours, the same badge, the same history and are quite simply the same club.

I've never heard anyone else suggest that we are "effectively a different club". Not even our jealous rivals.

19 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

Here we go let's look at Clyde

History : Ancient history is all you lot seem to have. More recently your history is a story of misery and failure. Our best bit of recent history was beating you lot in your own back garden to win the league after being 2-0 down. A wonderful GIRFUY moment

Wonderful facilities : yous are 3rd in line to play at your ground behind rugby and a boys club

Wealthy : do we need to go into your wonderfully managed money situation. At one point owing the council hundreds of thousands. And having one of the biggest budgets in the league for 8 years now and yous still havnt managed to get out the bottom division

Upward trajectory : in the last 11 seasons yous have finished in the bottom 2 of what ever division you play in 7/11

That includes a run of finishing bottom of 3 different divisions in 3 seasons and out the 8 seasons in the basement division finishing bottom two 4 times and having to watch 3 different teams win the league at your home ground in 3 consecutive years

Lol Scottish football doesn't need to waste it energy on you lot with pity most just ignore you.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Carling don't do P&B posts, but if they did then they'd be a poor second best to this one.  Impressive knowledge/research (delete as applicable), and quite possibly the best put-down post I've read in years. Respect!

Carling don't do P&B posts, but if they did then they'd be a poor second best to this one.  Impressive knowledge/research (delete as applicable), and quite possibly the best put-down post I've read in years. Respect!

Aye, but Carlsberg would do a better one...

7 hours ago, haufdaft said:

Except Clyde FC have the same name, the same fans, the same club colours, the same badge, the same history and are quite simply the same club.

I've never heard anyone else suggest that we are "effectively a different club". Not even our jealous rivals.

Hmm.

Meadowbank-Livi had the same fans, the same club colours, a similar badge (clubs change them all the time though), the same history and could make the same claim as you to be "quite simply the same club."

How far away can a club move and still claim to be the same? For me, unless you're in a major city, moving nearly 20 miles is too far.

How much does the name matter? We've seen names like Leith Athletic and Third Lanark revived, but are they the same clubs? Are Rangers? They've had far more continuity than Clyde.

As for the same fans, what proportion of the club's fanbase are from Rutherglen? And what proportion from in and around Cumbernauld? I'd say there's a common root but there's been a huge shift.

Clyde fans acting as though the club's former glories mean anything at all today make me laugh. Face it, Albion Rovers are your peers and there's no reason to think that's going to change.

Hmm.
Meadowbank-Livi had the same fans, the same club colours, a similar badge (clubs change them all the time though), the same history and could make the same claim as you to be "quite simply the same club."
How far away can a club move and still claim to be the same? For me, unless you're in a major city, moving nearly 20 miles is too far.
How much does the name matter? We've seen names like Leith Athletic and Third Lanark revived, but are they the same clubs? Are Rangers? They've had far more continuity than Clyde.
As for the same fans, what proportion of the club's fanbase are from Rutherglen? And what proportion from in and around Cumbernauld? I'd say there's a common root but there's been a huge shift.
Clyde fans acting as though the club's former glories mean anything at all today make me laugh. Face it, Albion Rovers are your peers and there's no reason to think that's going to change.

But the powers that be at Livingston actively tried to ignore their Meadowbank heritage and wanted to be seen as something different - not the case when Clyde moved to Cumbernauld

3 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

But the powers that be at Livingston actively tried to ignore their Meadowbank heritage and wanted to be seen as something different - not the case when Clyde moved to Cumbernauld

True, but they were prepared to sell their soul and agree to become EK Clyde until that deal fell through, so your argument is largely based on circumstance than any meritous principle on Clyde's part.

Hmm.
So if we ignore the fact that Livingston and Meadowbank Thistle badges are in reality quite different, the fact that Clyde still have many of their Shawfield fans, the fact that Livingston changed their name to retain absolutely none of their former identity, you may have a point [emoji23]

Archived