Hibernian European Tour 2018/2019

Lyle Lanley

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strong, solid performance and the only major frustration is not having scored. There wasn't much between the teams but Hibs had more pressure and possession and carried more of a threat. Molde did have spells of threat but never really got shots on target other than from some defensive mistakes, scrambled clearances and long range efforts. Hitting the bar in 1st half may have been the closest we came but several top saves were also forced from the Molde 'keeper including a great catch from a rocket header at a corner that most of the ground thought had gone in.

Nowadays 0-0 in a home 1st leg is a decent score - and if the attack can show a little more polish and the defence a little more rigidity in possession then there is a great chance of progression.

Thought we missed McGinn massively tonight, we don't have anyone else in midfield capable of driving past players and taking them out the game.  Didn't really give them a sniff in the 2nd half though and could've won it ourselves. Still well in the tie and should be looking to progress now.

I'm not sure how to feel about that. On one hand, I'm happy about a good performance which made a potentially pretty strong team look second best against us. Molde are much better than Asteras, imo. They didn't cause us much problems tonight but you could tell there was a classy team in there. Loads of big units all over the park but they could still zip it out from the back and move us around pretty easily. Despite this, we were really solid it at the back and had pretty much all of the chances. 

The frustration is the possibility that tonight was our chance to win the tie. Feels like a clearly unfit Kamberi and a stormer from their keeper might've cost us. Definitely all to play for though and there's no reason we can't score over there.

I've said this since Lennon played that wee crop of youngsters in the cup group stages last year but barring some horrific injury, Porteous is going for a huge amount one day. Most exciting prospect we've had in a long time. 

Only saw last 15of first half, thought Molde looked tidy with no threat whilst Hibs countered with pace. Who's the guy down the right, fucking rapid. Obviously, I can't speak for the rest of the game but seems a decent result.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Only saw last 15of first half, thought Molde looked tidy with no threat whilst Hibs countered with pace. Who's the guy down the right, fucking rapid. Obviously, I can't speak for the rest of the game but seems a decent result.

I'm guessing you mean Martin Boyle. He was playing up front today for presumably sound tactical reasons, but still finds the time to wander over to the wings where he really belongs.

10 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Strong, solid performance and the only major frustration is not having scored. There wasn't much between the teams but Hibs had more pressure and possession and carried more of a threat. Molde did have spells of threat but never really got shots on target other than from some defensive mistakes, scrambled clearances and long range efforts. Hitting the bar in 1st half may have been the closest we came but several top saves were also forced from the Molde 'keeper including a great catch from a rocket header at a corner that most of the ground thought had gone in.

Nowadays 0-0 in a home 1st leg is a decent score - and if the attack can show a little more polish and the defence a little more rigidity in possession then there is a great chance of progression.

That one from mallan that hit the bar I'm convinced the keeper got his finger tips on it as well as molde players were giving him high 5s.

The pony tail lad despite getting subbed looked a player. Gonnae have t watch him next week .Credit to the lad porteous who at 19 certainly didnt look out of place though.

Different game over there but agree if hibs score they have a chance. 

Looked comfortable yesterday against what is a very good side - especially in life post McGinn.  Still think we will strengthen further, so all-in-all very encouraging.  

Agreed with the Ponytail boy up front, he is absolutely brilliant at turning players...makes it look so easy, we have to watch him. 

If anyone wants a laugh, pop over to Jambos Kickback for a level-headed view of the game, how awful both teams are, how this season will be a walk in a park for them, and how a year ago they lost to minnows from Malta in the 1st round (oops forgot that bit didn't they).  Weirdos. 

That one from mallan that hit the bar I'm convinced the keeper got his finger tips on it as well as molde players were giving him high 5s.
The pony tail lad despite getting subbed looked a player. Gonnae have t watch him next week .Credit to the lad porteous who at 19 certainly didnt look out of place though.
Different game over there but agree if hibs score they have a chance. 
The keeper definitely got a touch on the Mallan one.

3 hours ago, AberdeenHibee said:

Looked comfortable yesterday against what is a very good side - especially in life post McGinn.  Still think we will strengthen further, so all-in-all very encouraging.  

Agreed with the Ponytail boy up front, he is absolutely brilliant at turning players...makes it look so easy, we have to watch him. 

If anyone wants a laugh, pop over to Jambos Kickback for a level-headed view of the game, how awful both teams are, how this season will be a walk in a park for them, and how a year ago they lost to minnows from Malta in the 1st round (oops forgot that bit didn't they).  Weirdos. 

Oddly enough, I think he was only playing because the wonderkid Haaland was away talking to RB Salzburg.

3 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

3.  Jesus they look a lot more clinical at home.  Or Brann are pish

Molde beat them 4-0 away just before the Norwegian summer break (late June / early July). Brann are still top of the league despite these two pumpings, although Rosenborg would overtake them today with a win in their game. I'm thinking that Brann maybe over-commit to the attack against Molde and keep getting done on the counter.

The other interesting thing is that Haaland is back in the Molde team today (he scored the first from a penalty) and the pony-tail lad is nowhere to be seen.

Archived