Japan/Korea two week double header 2019

Girth

8 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The portable wifi seemed the cheapest and easiest when I looked into it. Order it and pick it up at the airport when you arrive and hand it back when you leave. Sounds like there's a lot less free hotspots over there. Haven't been though.

Think the deal was unlimited data for 8 days at about 18 dollars which seemed a decent price. Also don’t have to worry about losing/breaking the portabke wifi thing or having to hand it back.

2 hours ago, boulderdomb said:

How much Japanese should you be able to speak and/or read before taking the plunge and going to Tokyo? I've been considering taking the mrs for a while but I always feel awkward not being able to speak the native language (enough to get by).

I can speak German now due to the number of times I've went :)

Going to find out as neither i or my pal speak any at all. Our other pal claims he was doing a Japanese class last year so we’ll see how much he actually learned.

How much Japanese should you be able to speak and/or read before taking the plunge and going to Tokyo? I've been considering taking the mrs for a while but I always feel awkward not being able to speak the native language (enough to get by).
I can speak German now due to the number of times I've went [emoji4]

You really don’t need any to get around. All the signs in the metro/train are in English. The only real issue may be in some more local restaurants, but still not so much of a hassle.

6 hours ago, boulderdomb said:

I can speak German now due to the number of times I've went :)

It's not the easiest to learn so depends how much time/money you want to invest in something that's a nice to have, but not essential.  I got by with nothing almost 20 years ago and things have improved since then (not my Japanese, the use of English there).  A good smartphone app and you'll be good.

• 1 year later...

Shinjuki area of Tokyo is superb for all nightlife.Osaka is pretty poor for nightlife never really found anything decent and Kyoto/Hiroshima i didnt really do any nightlife I was a serious tourist type in both cities but both wonderful to explore and found a few bars in back streets but nothing really punky.

Turns out I’m off to Japan next week.

Any bar recommendations (punk particularly) in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto or Hiroshima) would be ace.

Turns out I’m off to Japan next week.

Any bar recommendations (punk particularly) in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto or Hiroshima) would be ace.

Are you still going? Be sure to wear a completely ineffective paper mask. I’d imagine most of the places you’d want to go would be closed.

16 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Are you still going? Be sure to wear a completely ineffective paper mask. I’d imagine most of the places you’d want to go would be closed.

And make sure you pack plenty of bog roll as they've none left in the supermarkets.  Nor surprising as they must all be shiting themselves.