18/19 kits thread

5 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Whit?

Are you seriously suggesting it's unusual or inappropriate to celebrate the club's centenary? Nobody is "wanking", nor claiming any great seniority. In fact, in the scheme of Scotland's 42 senior clubs we're among the youngest. It's not necessary for you to leap to the defence of your pal who make a complete arse of himself in equating our new away kit to a Motherwell one.

Quite possibly. Not sure what the relevance of that is though?

In fairness, I didn't think he was criticising the idea of marking a centenary.

I think instead that he was responding to your line about Motherwell last having sported a kit like our away one, over seventy years before his club was founded.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Why are Queen of the South called Queen of the South? 

They are quite young in Scottish Football teams I suppose. Who's younger? 

Town nickname (given by some poet I think).

Ayr United

Stirling Albion

Ross County

Annan Athletic

Edinburgh City

Livingston

Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Airdrie

Sevco

27 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Why are Queen of the South called Queen of the South? 

They are quite young in Scottish Football teams I suppose. Who's younger? 

'Queen of the South' is a nickname for the town of Dumfries, coined by the poet David Dunbar when he stood for parliament in 1857 which stuck. The club was formed from a merger of supposedly three older club in the immediate post World War 1 era: Arrol Johnston Motor Works, 5th KOSB and Dumfries FC, though apparently it's now been concluded that Dumfries FC never actually joined the merger and only the first two clubs were involved. The name came about from suggestions at a public meeting (Supposedly it was originally going to be 'Queen of the South United' but fortunately the last word disappeared along the way). There was previously a Queen of the South Wanderers club which disbanded in 1894 but it is not directly related.

We are quite young because it came from the remnants of post WW1 clubs rather than those clubs restarting by themselves. No idea how far back those clubs can trace their roots.

Who is younger in current SPFL depends to a large extent on your opinion of phoenix clubs I suppose. The present ICT were formed in 1994 though the constituent clubs Caley and Thistle can both trace their origins to 1885. Livingston are definitely younger wherever you start them. Formed as Ferranti Thistle in 1943 though not changing to their current name and location until 1995. Ross County were apparently founded in 1929. Stirling Albion were formed in 1945 (like us as a result of another club folding at the end of the War - King's Park in their case). Annan Athletic were founded in 1942 so are much younger. Edinburgh City are younger regardless of where you count them as starting. There was an Edinburgh City founded in 1928 which ceased playing in 1955 and the present club didn't come into being until 1966. However I believe the Social Club continued in the interim and the club actually claims the original club's history so take your pick? Either way they are younger.

And then there's the whole Airdrieonians debate! Original Airdrie were formed in 1878 but went bankrupt in 2002. The current club is legally the Clydebank club formed in 1964.

There are also those of course who would claim Rangers are younger but I'm not going there...........

20 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Town nickname (given by some poet I think).

Ayr United

Stirling Albion

Ross County

Annan Athletic

Edinburgh City

Livingston

Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Airdrie

Sevco

Shorter form of my answer which appeared whilst I was typing!

Don't think Ayr United should be there though. 1910 according to their own website.

11 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Shorter form of my answer which appeared whilst I was typing!

Don't think Ayr United should be there though. 1910 according to their own website.

Yep 1910 for us.

We had a centenary strip!

The horror!!!!

Aye, sexist as f**k so it is.

YDGHitL.jpg

Nothing like a pair of tits to get the bedwetters up in arms on behalf of someone else.

Topless models in modelling topless shocker.

Sex being an effective tool for marketing and sales shocker.

Spoiler

Sometimes they even model in no clothes at all :o

Nothing like a pair of tits to get the bedwetters up in arms on behalf of someone else.

Someone else? No I just think it makes Scottish football look backward, old fashioned and quite frankly creepy. It only appeals to yer da types

Topless models in modelling topless shocker.

I’m not going to tell that woman or man what to do to earn their money I just don’t think its right the a ‘community’ club use topless models to promote their products (or allow a sponsor to use their badge in this way) as this alienates a penguin all customer base. it’s also a sexist advert as she has a thong on and he has football shorts [emoji23]

Sex being an effective tool for marketing and sales shocker.

Is it effective? I would doubt it is maybe in the 70’s. the work Motherwell in particular are doing in the marketing department is far more effective and has a good news story.

Spoiler Sometimes they even model in no clothes at all [emoji33]

Top notch quoting there Adam :blink:

Assuming you're still not understanding the whole part where that is entirely the work of Calvin Ayre, not of Ayr United (they both sound really similar tbf so easy mistake to make)

Considering he has done the same thing every kit launch for that past few years and nobody has particularly cared, meanwhile Ayr have grown and developed as a community club, I'd see it's people getting their knickers in a twist over nothing, as usual.

Top notch quoting there Adam :blink:
Assuming you're still not understanding the whole part where that is entirely the work of Calvin Ayre, not of Ayr United (they both sound really similar tbf so easy mistake to make)
Considering he has done the same thing every kit launch for that past few years and nobody has particularly cared, meanwhile Ayr have grown and developed as a community club, I'd see it's people getting their knickers in a twist over nothing, as usual.

Quoting is harder on my phone - sorry about that.

I know it’s the sponsor who is doing this the club still hold the licence for its badge and presumably it’s kit and Adidas hold the copy right for their logo neither can be used without permission. Ayr may of grown up as a community club but these crap ‘stunts’ drag them a few steps back most well run clubs wouldn’t allow the sponsor to do that in afraid.

Well the club have been fined every time that it’s been done so folk have minded, but still.

Can the season start soon this is getting boring

7 hours ago, Adam101 said:

Quoting is harder on my phone - sorry about that.

I know it’s the sponsor who is doing this the club still hold the licence for its badge and presumably it’s kit and Adidas hold the copy right for their logo neither can be used without permission. Ayr may of grown up as a community club but these crap ‘stunts’ drag them a few steps back most well run clubs wouldn’t allow the sponsor to do that in afraid.

Well the club have been fined every time that it’s been done so folk have minded, but still.

Can the season start soon this is getting boring

Not seen anything about them being fined every season for the past 7/8 years, please link me up.

Also, if they have, seems worth it for how much money they get from Ayre.

Not seen any other way it has actually negatively impacted the club at all, all I've seen is a general consensus of not really giving a shit with some free publicity from the red tops every season.

On 31/05/2018 at 15:22, TheMessiah said:

Not seen anything about them being fined every season for the past 7/8 years, please link me up.

Also, if they have, seems worth it for how much money they get from Ayre.

Not seen any other way it has actually negatively impacted the club at all, all I've seen is a general consensus of not really giving a shit with some free publicity from the red tops every season.

Sorry I can't find anything to support my argument , the ayr fans talked last season of the sponsor paying a fine but nothing in the press to confirm. Anyway, every newspaper covered the story in a negative light, as well as just about every reply on twitter being negative/ taking the piss out the good folk at Ayr. So there is plenty bad publicity, I'm going back to my pint now.

Archived