Reinstate Elgin as Highland League champions 1992-93

Alex

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elgin won the league by four points so if the Forres game was their final match it didn't have any impact on them finishing top of the league.

John Teasdale moved to the USA after the debacle where he formed a relationship with Linda Blair, of Exorcist fame.

38 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Elgin won the league by four points so if the Forres game was their final match it didn't have any impact on them finishing top of the league.

John Teasdale moved to the USA after the debacle where he formed a relationship with Linda Blair, of Exorcist fame.

I can't find the final day results but Elgin playing a day early meant that Cove were playing for nothing on the Saturday. If Elgin had lost with the 2 key players suspended on the Saturday and Cove won rather than losing on the last day (if that's what happened), then Cove would have been Champions. All very hypothetical I know. Sounds like Forres were awful that season and Elgin would have won with half their team out.

12 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Would seem a bit weird that the Highland league gave them permission to move the game and then punished them for doing so

This is what I'm not getting. Surely there was a reason given for the moving of the fixture in the first place that the Highland League accepted?

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

This is what I'm not getting. Surely there was a reason given for the moving of the fixture in the first place that the Highland League accepted?

They claimed it was to give the players a longer rest period before a friendly with Dundee. When the League found out about the suspended players they thought they'd been lied to, along with the 6-0 bet. 

Just now, welshbairn said:

They claimed it was to give the players a longer rest period before a friendly with Dundee. When the League found out about the suspended players they thought they'd been lied to, along with the 6-0 bet. 

I'm amazed the league let them move a match for a friendly.  I'm even more amazed that the league weren't already aware of the suspended players and when it was due to kick in. Just seems like complete madness all round.

Just now, The Moonster said:

I'm amazed the league let them move a match for a friendly.  I'm even more amazed that the league weren't already aware of the suspended players and when it was due to kick in. Just seems like complete madness all round.

You have to remember that admin in the HL is just one guy working from home. Agree about your first bit, especially for the last game of the season, although the HL is generally fairly relaxed about fixtures being moved if both sides agree.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Given that the SPFL lets clubs postpone league games in order to play friendlies its maybe not that amazing

Were suspensions still administered by leagues then or was it SFA? Also no internet back in 1993 so presumably coming out by post. Whatever the system it wouldn't be as quick-n-easy as today.

Also an obvious question: it seems one party who definitely did know in advance were Elgin - so if it was all about recovery for friendly v Dundee, and not getting an advantage, why not leave-out the otherwise suspended pair?

48 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Were suspensions still administered by leagues then or was it SFA? Also no internet back in 1993 so presumably coming out by post. Whatever the system it wouldn't be as quick-n-easy as today.

Also an obvious question: it seems one party who definitely did know in advance were Elgin - so if it was all about recovery for friendly v Dundee, and not getting an advantage, why not leave-out the otherwise suspended pair?

Had to get a 0-6 scoreline presumably.

• 1 month later...

Now, I think Elgin City are a joke as much as the next guy.  But it was an extremely harsh punishment.  The game should've just been replayed with the suspended player still not able to play.

44 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Now, I think Elgin City are a joke as much as the next guy.  But it was an extremely harsh punishment.  The game should've just been replayed with the suspended player still not able to play.

It was more the allegation that they successfully fixed the result at 6-0 for gambling purposes. The manager apparently admitted it on MFR.

Archived