Rangers 2018/19 European Extravaganza!

KnightswoodBear

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only Scottish team to get a positive result in Europe AGAIN.  8)

Absolutely coasted it too never looked like losing the tie at any point last night.

What a signing McGregor will turn out to be. Already has even! He seems better than when we left or maybe I just can't believe that he was actually this good.

Seems to be a lot of confidence and togetherness with the players at the moment. Long may it continue.

22 hours ago, kingjoey said:

So disappointing.

You are so desperate for us to go out :lol:

Maybe you shouldn't post on this thread then as it always seems to coincide with us marching on to the next round.

Let me break it down for you:

You've been in the EL 5 years in a row under McInnes. You've never (not even once) reached the Playoff round we just reached. 

Only won one game in the 3rd round out of 8 total games as well. 

You actually thought you were good in Europe just because you were better than St Johnstone :lol:

I kniw its from the daily rag, but apparently rangers might go through without kicking a ball.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ufa-could-forced-forfeit-rangers-13104366.amp?__twitter_impression=true

The basic jist of the artical is that UFA are unable to get visas for thursdays match on time. This is due to the problems politically between the UK and russia that have tighend up the visa rules.

A russian athlet was not allowed to enter the Glasgow euro championships this month and Spartac moscow were not allowed to play in the milk cup this summer in Northern Ireland.

Basically it will take a minimum of 5 days to get the visa completed, which would be too late to  actually play the game.

By monday we will find out if UFA have to forfit thr tie and allow rangers to go through automatically.

So if Ufa can't play at Ibrox, would that mean a 3-0 win for Rangers going into the 2nd leg or do Ufa get thrown out of the tournament without either of the games taking place?

Confident Rangers can get through anyway but one or two less games during a hectic schedule would be ideal.

18 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

I kniw its from the daily rag, but apparently rangers might go through without kicking a ball.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ufa-could-forced-forfeit-rangers-13104366.amp?__twitter_impression=true

The basic jist of the artical is that UFA are unable to get visas for thursdays match on time. This is due to the problems politically between the UK and russia that have tighend up the visa rules.

A russian athlet was not allowed to enter the Glasgow euro championships this month and Spartac moscow were not allowed to play in the milk cup this summer in Northern Ireland.

Basically it will take a minimum of 5 days to get the visa completed, which would be too late to  actually play the game.

By monday we will find out if UFA have to forfit thr tie and allow rangers to go through automatically.

Seems fairer that UFA should be awarded the tie 3-0.  It's the home team's association/country blocking the visitors' entry.  Take the original logic a step further and you could just deny the visitors access to the stadium - guaranteed 3-0 win every home game.

Exactly , this is why they do the draws in advance, was the draw not done 2 weeks ago today.

When we went to Belarus it was only the players and 3 club officials who were able to go as the club applied the day of the draw, just in case we got through and were to go to Minsk.  Despite the fact we were playing Rosenborg and Minsk were tied with a team from Malta if memory serves me right the club had to go through the process as a back up. I am sure if we did not complete the process by the day after the draw we could not have played the tie and hence why no Saints fan ended up at the game.

It's some years ago now but what were the circumstances behind Rangers v Anzhi Makhachkala being played over 1 leg at a neutral venue in the early 2000s? Travel issues or security issues?

As noted if Ufa have screwed-up here (and UEFA don't regard the visa rules as excessive) it would seem more reasonable to default the leg 3-0 than forfeit the whole tie? After all couldn't the Russian authorities hold-up visas in the return and you've just got tit-for-tat.

In the early 1960s Linfield had to scratch v Vorwarts Berlin in the European Cup when they weren't allowed into Northern Ireland. Glenavon had to do the same the previous season, in the same competition, when Wismut Karl Marx Stadt were denied entry to the United Kingdom.

4 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It's some years ago now but what were the circumstances behind Rangers v Anzhi Makhachkala being played over 1 leg at a neutral venue in the early 2000s? Travel issues or security issues?

Where they were from shared a border with Chechnya, which was a bit nawty at the time. 

As for the Russians holding up visas, I don't think that would be possible as Rangers have, I assume, filed the paperwork required by Uefa at the start of the season, which Ufa supposedly haven't.  I'd imagine if the Russians decided to with hold visas vindictively, all that would happen is Russian sides would all be locked out of European competition? 

It sounds like it's all been sorted now, anyway. 

12 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Where they were from shared a border with Chechnya, which was a bit nawty at the time. 

As for the Russians holding up visas, I don't think that would be possible as Rangers have, I assume, filed the paperwork required by Uefa at the start of the season, which Ufa supposedly haven't.  I'd imagine if the Russians decided to with hold visas vindictively, all that would happen is Russian sides would all be locked out of European competition? 

It sounds like it's all been sorted now, anyway. 

As in their Visas have been fast-tracked by UEFA/Home Office and they can play on Thursday?

No Coulibaly tomorrow, which is a shame.  Murphy out for the rest of the season.  Borna is cup-tied.  I'd guess we'll go with:

McGregor

Tavernier
Goldson
Katic
Flanagan

Jack
Arfield
Ejaria

Kent
Alfie
Candeias

A conservative 2-0 win would be ideal.

2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

No Coulibaly tomorrow, which is a shame.  Murphy out for the rest of the season.  Borna is cup-tied.  I'd guess we'll go with:

McGregor

Tavernier
Goldson
Katic
Flanagan

Jack
Arfield
Ejaria

Kent
Alfie
Candeias

A conservative 2-0 win would be ideal.