Peterhead 2018/19

Glad its been settled now, it will be met with mixed reactions from our support, as always he will have my full support but would think he needs to get the team winning games early in the season to avoid more discontent. We need to get a balanced squad this year with cover in all positions rather than just expecting players to fill in. Jim brought in some good players last season but also had some flops that we got nothing from, suppose nobody can get everything right but Jim will under added scrutiny this season. Think he has most of the players behind him but loyalty to some has cost points before.  Hopefully the majority of the squad sign for Jim & with a few additions (should not need major surgery like last year) we had a decent side for most of last season that should have got the job done but in a few matches could not close games out & so ended up in the play-offs.

On the previous thread I posted

On 5/13/2018 at 10:12, strichener said:

Personally thought the damage was done down at Montrose when we threw away a 2 goal advantage and let the slip league out of our own hands.  No expectations in the play-offs as we have never managed to either gain promotion or avoid relegation via them.  

Thought before the Stenny game down there that we could come back with a 2 goal deficit and still come through but after exactly this scenario, and seeing how we played in the first leg, I must admit that I thought it a step too far.  No surprise yesterday TBH and once again shows that our managers policy of "quality" over quantity has once again failed.

Two defenders not available through injury and we don't have any replacements.  Can't even fill the bench even when we have players out on loan.  Shambles.

Also don't know where the players that were signed at the start of the season have gone.  Paul Cairney?     Mikael Ludovic Ngango Dikobo? Samuel Gabriel?

Anyway, rant over.  Bring on next season - new manager, new players, new enthusiasm.

With this news about Jim is is now - Same manager, same players, no enthusiasm, new activity to be found for Saturdays.

37 minutes ago, strichener said:

On the previous thread I posted

With this news about Jim is is now - Same manager, same players, no enthusiasm, new activity to be found for Saturdays.

Can understand some folk will feel this way, personally will carry on as always & get my season when they come out. It will be up to the team to make going to follow them an attractive proposition for those that need convincing. Last season was only one point & one goal away from being a success 

Edited by peternapper

59 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Can understand some folk will feel this way, personally will carry on as always & get my season when they come out. It will be up to the team to make going to follow them an attractive proposition for those that need convincing. Last season was only one point & one goal away from being a success 

We all knew at the start of the season how it was going to end. We were never going to win the league and never going to go up  - the team doesn't have the bottle for it. Nothing to do with luck it was the foundations at the start of the season (and only having 3 defenders in the squad!) that went wrong and it cost us. Will take some convincing before a ball is kicked this season for me to believe that this season will be any better.

Going close is fine but bottling play offs is getting boring now and throwing money at players that are taking signing on fees then disappearing is a joke especially when there is nothing to show at the end of the season for it. 

I don't blame Jim fully though as it is the boards choice to put all of the money into the first 11 and not have youths or reserves or any other way to develop our own players so what do they expect? The board keep saying they want us to play in the championship and then do nothing to make this seem like a realistic objective. It's baffling.

Eta - Apologies ranting over for now :)

Edited by NewBlue

1 hour ago, NewBlue said:

We all knew at the start of the season how it was going to end. We were never going to win the league and never going to go up  - the team doesn't have the bottle for it. Nothing to do with luck it was the foundations at the start of the season (and only having 3 defenders in the squad!) that went wrong and it cost us. Will take some convincing before a ball is kicked this season for me to believe that this season will be any better.

Going close is fine but bottling play offs is getting boring now and throwing money at players that are taking signing on fees then disappearing is a joke especially when there is nothing to show at the end of the season for it. 

I don't blame Jim fully though as it is the boards choice to put all of the money into the first 11 and not have youths or reserves or any other way to develop our own players so what do they expect? The board keep saying they want us to play in the championship and then do nothing to make this seem like a realistic objective. It's baffling.

Eta - Apologies ranting over for now :)

Must admit I was confident at the start of last season we would not need the play-offs & would win the league but it turned out that was not the case, think one of the things that went against was Montrose hardly having any mid-week games to play, the way it worked out we were down at Annan & Berwick early in the year mid-week & also had Clyde & Stenny to play at home these game are hard work for part-time sides & had an impact on the league.

Jim has had his fingers burnt a few times with signings cant even mind the guy a couple seasons back that took his signing on fee & ran off after a couple months, last year Gabriel was quickly found out, then the defender that we waited weeks for his international clearance turned up unfit & did not stay long enough to see if his cv was made up or not. Cairney was the most disappointing although he came with a warning about weight problems he never seemed to knuckle down to fight what was meant to be a medical problem he could have been a very important player for us. We have some very good young players that should be a bit more match savvy for the coming season. Someone mentioned Marc Lawrence it was unfortunate that he had a medical problem around the time he was getting a place on the bench & did got get back into things, think Norris will get more chances in the coming season.

4 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Must admit I was confident at the start of last season we would not need the play-offs & would win the league but it turned out that was not the case, think one of the things that went against was Montrose hardly having any mid-week games to play, the way it worked out we were down at Annan & Berwick early in the year mid-week & also had Clyde & Stenny to play at home these game are hard work for part-time sides & had an impact on the league.

Jim has had his fingers burnt a few times with signings cant even mind the guy a couple seasons back that took his signing on fee & ran off after a couple months, last year Gabriel was quickly found out, then the defender that we waited weeks for his international clearance turned up unfit & did not stay long enough to see if his cv was made up or not. Cairney was the most disappointing although he came with a warning about weight problems he never seemed to knuckle down to fight what was meant to be a medical problem he could have been a very important player for us. We have some very good young players that should be a bit more match savvy for the coming season. Someone mentioned Marc Lawrence it was unfortunate that he had a medical problem around the time he was getting a place on the bench & did got get back into things, think Norris will get more chances in the coming season.

Regarding Marc, he did get back into things.  He was pulled back from Ellon United for a Tuesday (?) mid-week game when we were short of players and was then playing for Fraserburgh 2 days later after we once again punted him out on loan.

Remember the game wondered what had happened, I was told & have no reason to disbelieve it that his loan to Ellon did not run out until midnight that night so he could not turn out for us after Jim phoning him telling to take his boots, was not aware he went to the Broch after that. Has been unfortunate that a couple times when he has been getting into the squad his growth has held him back.

Edited by peternapper

Ross Kavanagh signed from Stirling Albion look decent against us so happy with the signing

Good signing if true. I’m not going to pretend that Kavanagh is the finished article, he’s not, he’s raaw, but he is someone that will run through brick walls for you, give you everything he has and I’m sure Peterhead fans will take to him.

I saw him more as a “through the middle” striker but Dave Mackay liked to play him out wide. He’ll certainly give you the legs up front that you miss with McAllister and McLean, but has their physicality.

4 hours ago, cabbage74 said:

Rumour is he's been given a healthier budget for next season, up to £ 2,000,000!

1 hour ago, strichener said:

If true, this would actually be a 90% reduction.

And if that's true, McInally should have been sacked :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:

The Sun today saying that Montrose, Clyde and Dumbarton are sniffing around Russell McLean. Hopefully we manage to keep him.

Take it he's decent?

I'd imagine you guys will be able to offer him more dough than we could cough up (that's no dig by the way, our budget just isn't great by all accounts), but the chance of being a regular starter a division up might swing it. Says online that he's from Stenhousemuir so I suppose location could play a role too.

Last season we badly, badly needed an actual striker capable of doing strikery things like scoring goals, winning headers and holding play up. On paper at least McLean looks like he could do the scoring bit.

He was pretty dire at the start of the season but has improved immeasurably since then. His hold up play and positioning is very good, although he could score more headers than he does. I can understand why Montrose are after him to try to replace Templeman.

19 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

He was pretty dire at the start of the season but has improved immeasurably since then. His hold up play and positioning is very good, although he could score more headers than he does. I can understand why Montrose are after him to try to replace Templeman.

Having not seen him play he's reminding me a bit of Robert Thomson, who seemed to get tangled up in his own legs in front of goal for the first six months of his DFC career, and then became a clinical big cult-hero. They look similar as well - well they're both young, blonde and lanky.

A striker who can hold the ball up would be a great acquisition given the way we usually play.

22 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:

The Sun today saying that Montrose, Clyde and Dumbarton are sniffing around Russell McLean. Hopefully we manage to keep him.

Not going to Montrose apparently and appears he could stay with us unless he gets a full time offer.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/uncategorized/1480100/russell-mclean-rules-out-montrose-move-as-he-mulls-over-peterhead-future/

3 hours ago, blueone said:

Not going to Montrose apparently and appears he could stay with us unless he gets a full time offer.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/uncategorized/1480100/russell-mclean-rules-out-montrose-move-as-he-mulls-over-peterhead-future/

Russell has signed for another year - 

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-football/more-to-come-from-mclean-after-signing-new-blue-toon-deal/