Confirmed Transfers - Winter '19

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Standard.

I appreciate fans of other clubs say these things all the time when players move on, but Grant Gallagher spent 2 years injured and Scott Gallacher spent the first 6 months of the season trying to come up with new, hilarious ways of losing goals.  Calum has hardly been prolific for us, but he can play a few positions and showed that he can score goals against lower league opposition when played in his preferred position.  He'll be the most useful to us going forward - that's not to say that Grant or Scott won't be useful to Airdrie.

1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Standard.

Scott finished the season well enough - but a lot of that is down to his improvement from the start of the season. If you directly compare him to either of Alan Martin or Danny Rogers then he was okay. The general consensus from most is that he would have been a decent enough 2nd choice but I don't think many wanted him as our number 1 this season.

Grant was awful in his first season, despite playing most games. He was played in a more offensive position in the centre of midfield and offered very little. The following season, he started playing in his more natural holding midfield position and looked decent enough. He picked up a bad injury and missed the whole season. Then pre season last year he was looking okay again in the holding midfield role but again picked up a bad injury. This season though, he returned with a couple of months to spare. Everyone was willing him to do well, but he just didn't. He looked like a player who had missed 2 entire seasons through injury. Passing was awful, he didn't tackle, he couldn't dribble without losing the ball and his marking was dreadful (cost us a couple of goals directly).

Everyone at Dumbarton wish them both well, but we won't miss them too much - even if they do well.

10 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Grant was awful in his first season, despite playing most games. He was played in a more offensive position in the centre of midfield and offered very little.

I can't agree.  Grant's first few games for us were his best IMO.  St Mirren away when we won 2-1 in particular, he absolutely ran the midfield.  Injury seems to have ruined him though.

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I can't agree.  Grant's first few games for us were his best IMO.  St Mirren away when we won 2-1 in particular, he absolutely ran the midfield.  Injury seems to have ruined him though.

The Falkirk 0-5 game at home in October 2015 sticks out in my mind as the day it started to go downhill. I remember being delighted with him at first, we played Partick Thistle at the Science Park and he looked like the complete midfielder - his main attributes were physical though; he was about as strong a guy as you would find, he was aggressive, relatively quick and genuinely didn't stop running for the whole game. Technically he was ok, but he was never going to be the sort of player who relied solely on his ability to spray passes around and see things nobody else could (Stevenson, R/Froxylias, D etc).

He's been unlucky though. I reckon he would've played every week in CDM in his first season if we hadn't picked up Jon Routledge later in the window who was obviously superb in that role. That meant he was left looking hopelessly uncomfortable on the wing or up front, then when he finally got a solid run in that role he was ruled out for near enough two years.

He probably needs to get a full season under his belt before anyone can judge him again, but he certainly looked to have lost a lot of his physical edge when he came back in April. 

Jonny Court joins East Fife following his release from Raith...Much like Chris Duggan's move in the opposite direction I'm sure we've known about that for at least six weeks now, but at least it's finally official.

Ryan McCord signed for ourselves again. I was told at the time of his release that there was a deal there for him if he could get his fitness sorted out before pre season, signed tonight and we start back Monday so looks like he might’ve been putting the work in.

Regardless of his fitness still a good player at this level, 9 goals last season when he didn’t get too much game time.

If he gets himself fighting fit I’ve no doubt that he’d be one of the best players in the league.

Wow Dumbarton 8 players signed another 2 and you can train 5 a side. Still early tho your season in div 2 doesn't start till August 2019 so you still got time. Just kidding 8 good players signed so far for this level so you should be ok for playoffs this year. Depends who you add for what playoffs tho. [emoji6]
Your trying too hard m9

Archived