Confirmed Transfers - Winter '19

Just now, Diamond Oracle said:

Has Aitken confirmed he will be staying with Dumbarton next season?

I'm not sure it's been officially confirmed anywhere, but he will be, aye. He's under contract, we won't be getting rid of him, and (unless a bigger club comes in) he won't be going anywhere.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/16/2018 at 11:52, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Is there anything official about that yet?

Just Wiki'd this guy. 6'1" forward, 25 years old, scored 8 from 21 appearances for Arbroath.

Hope it's the same guy!!

1 hour ago, BigDi@mond said:

Daryl Duffy signs for Airdrie!

Fancy leaving some players for those of us who like to, erm, take our time over our business?

Really impressed by how quickly you guys have gone about your business.

Fancy leaving some players for those of us who like to, erm, take our time over our business?
Really impressed by how quickly you guys have gone about your business.

I'd like us to get half a dozen signed up quick-smart as much as the next Sons fan, but although Airdrie have flown out of the traps, I wouldn't say any of their signings are hugely impressive. Solid or dependable maybe, but nothing that makes me particularly envious.

I don't want that to sound like I'm shitting on their cornflakes or anything, I'd just rather we took our time and got the right signings (i.e. if it takes a few weeks or so to get Dowie, Barr, Gallagher etc to sign then I'd be happier with that than if we went out and signed another half-dozen Darren Miller's or the likes).

If we end up with Dowie and Barr again it'll be down to us offering more money than currently I imagine.  Dowser and Barr should've been first men to sign based on their performance levels and that should have been relatively easy.  Scott Gal would not have moved to Airdrie for less money surely.

If we end up with Dowie and Barr again it'll be down to us offering more money than currently I imagine.  Dowser and Barr should've been first men to sign based on their performance levels and that should have been relatively easy.  Scott Gal would not have moved to Airdrie for less money surely.

I thought Barr had signed a 2 yr deal last summer?

I’d take him back in a heartbeat if given the choice.

9 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

I'd like us to get half a dozen signed up quick-smart as much as the next Sons fan, but although Airdrie have flown out of the traps, I wouldn't say any of their signings are hugely impressive. Solid or dependable maybe, but nothing that makes me particularly envious.

I don't want that to sound like I'm shitting on their cornflakes or anything, I'd just rather we took our time and got the right signings (i.e. if it takes a few weeks or so to get Dowie, Barr, Gallagher etc to sign then I'd be happier with that than if we went out and signed another half-dozen Darren Miller's or the likes).

I don't disagree with that, but with the budget down by 50% (according to Stevie in the Reporter article posted earlier) I reckon Airdrie will be shopping in a similar market to us. They've had the advantage of knowing what division they'll be in advance mind you, so that'll help identify targets.

1 hour ago, sonsanorak said:

I have nothing to back this up, but there's no chance that we'll offer either player more than they're currently on. Mango's two-year deal will likely mean he's on the same as last year, and I reckon Dowie will get a cut.

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

We’ve signed a keeper Darren Jamieson. No idea what he’s like but surely an improvement on Hutton.

A keeper?

Lucky b*****ds!  jealous as f**k!

The article in the (I think) Reporter (apologies if it's not) states that Mango and Stewart have clauses which might involve a cut given we've now been relegated. And as Sonsteam suggests below, I too would be flabbergasted if anyone who re-signs is on more this coming season than they have been.

Scott Gallagher might have been told he's going to be No.1 at Airdrie and that motivated the move. Maybe he'd been told by Stevie that he would face competition for the starting role he's occupied this season?

There could be a number of reasons for him knocking back our offer to move to Airdrie, but at the end of the day, whatever the motive, he was a decent at best all-round goalkeeper for us. No more. Good shot-stopper but little else. And while I'd have been content for us to retain him but have someone else challenging him, if we don't believe there's better out there for us then we really are fucked.

I thought Barr had signed a 2 yr deal last summer?

I’d take him back in a heartbeat if given the choice.

He did but as above, there's scope for it being cut and I imagine if it were to be, he'd be available to other teams?

I have nothing to back this up, but there's no chance that we'll offer either player more than they're currently on. Mango's two-year deal will likely mean he's on the same as last year, and I reckon Dowie will get a cut.

1 hour ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

He did but as above, there's scope for it being cut and I imagine if it were to be, he'd be available to other teams?

Barr and Stewart's wages must be honoured, they won't be cut. Both players do however have a period of "grace" where they can find themselves a deal elsewhere if it suits. That period is now.  Stevie in the paper saying he hopes to keep both but I don't doubt they'll both be weighing up their options, Barr must have suitors anyway - despite being relegated from the Championship the last 2 years he's more than capable of playing at that level. If we could throw more money at him I would be advocating it, sadly we have none to throw about.

If we could find someone to take Stewart I'd let him go and use his (rather sizeable) wage on someone who won't sit on their arse for 6 months of the season. 

That sarcasm or is he actually decent haha?

From what I remember in his Livi days, he was decent anyway. He also used to save pretty much every penalty against him as well. Not sure if he’ll still be the same as he’s been sitting on Hamilton’s bench for a while now.

Last season we had to watch a mix between Graeme “The Flapper” Smith and Aaron “The Cripple” Lennox so I’d have taken him in a heart beat as I would think he’d be excellent in this league. Better than David Hutton anyway.

Archived