-Grand Theft Premiership V- (Hamilton Academical 2018/2019 thread.)

3 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Actually hope we get relegated. One step closer to the board actually ousting the clown and the football MIGHT not be turgid dog shit in the championship and we MIGHT register more than an average of 2 shots on target each game.Be 

Be careful what we wish for as we go down and the end result will be us in The Seaside Leagues with 300 fans,part-time and that will be the end.

This is actually worse than the homeless years as it is a problem that can be easily rectified but, like under Watson,we have a set of goons who care not a jot for the fans.

It is so,so depressing.

14 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Actually hope we get relegated. One step closer to the board actually ousting the clown and the football MIGHT not be turgid dog shit in the championship and we MIGHT register more than an average of 2 shots on target each game.

I certainly don't want to go back to the championship. I enjoy being in the premier, I along with the vast majority now feel that we are destined to go down. However, as stated by the Board at the last fan meeting, they will NOT sack Canning if relegated.  So we could potentially end up in a lower league, playing shit football still and with Canning getting 'praise' for keeping us at championship level. 

I think that's going to be my last visit to NDP for a long time. I've attended games for 30 years and this has to be some of the worst and most toxic atmospheres since the division 3 days. 

Alex Neil helped capture hundreds of young support by playing expansive and aggressive football, Canning has taken multiple seasons to undo AN' revolution. Some of the photos of the crowd last night show that  apathy is the dish of the day now. I full expect the Celtic game to be the lowest away attendance of the year, It's impossible to get behind a manager whose ethos is ''we are not judged on these games''. 

I fully fans to bring feather dusters last night due to the dusting down patter, opportunity missed. Marcus Nash' work with the media team whilst definitely appreciated, only highlights the serious flaws in Martin Canning with these sort of interviews. 

Edited by JudgeFlash
typo

Apathy was the order of the day last night. My mates and I couldn't even be bothered abusing Canning any more as we are actually past the stage where he is to blame. It's time to direct the abuse at the board as their stubborn refusal to sack the manager is driving fans away. An organised show of strength is perhaps the only way to let them know in no uncertain terms how the fans feel. Although in saying that, I have no idea what form that would take to be effective. 

Has anyone thought of singing "You're NOT getting sacked in the morning"?

Having seen the TV footage, I would guess we had no more than 600 home fans. The crowd was actually 98 more than the second midweek win over them in 16/17 but maybe their support was less or more likely, the club are at it!

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 19:44, Poet of the Macabre said:

Would one of the several eloquent Accies fans post a detailed response as to why Canning is wrong to say he's been a success or why the club should be doing better? I genuinely have no idea about how Hamilton are doing other than the fans seem to have wanted him punted for a long time.

It won't be popular but I'll give you a slightly alternative view of Canning's managerial career. 

The level of hate directed to Canning by some Accies supporters has always been a source of bemusement to me, it genuinely seems to be unprecedented. This is a player who played over 200 times for Accies and was playing at Easter Road during the play-offs which ranks with most Accies fans as their best moment in following the team. This is a man who has kept a quiet dignity throughout, not once having a dig at the support or responding to the abuse directed at him. Even recently during "da gate" he was pretty much the only one that came out with any credit, playing the incident down when the media seemed desperate for him to milk it.  I think there is a decent comparison to be had between Canning at Accies and Archibald at Thistle but whereas when Archibald finally got sacked after taking PT down and lingering at the bottom of the Championship there was a quiet regret and appreciation from Thistle fans Canning who has kept Accies up is subject to constant abuse.

He did have a terrible start and there has been some really poor results like Annan and Celtic but there has also been some tremendous results. Going to Ibrox and winning 2 nil, a first win there since the cup win in 1987 and first league win there in living memory for most. An achievement which has largely been forgotten or dismissed despite being done with Darren Lyon in the team (and scoring). Maybe an equal achievement was the draw at Ibrox on the opening day of the season after their promotion. Accies had their usual shambolic pre-season, our centre halfs had met each other the night before and we had as usual our August quota of 1 fit striker but with the going for 55 flags flying and the best player in Scotland - Joey Barton - playing Accies and Canning ruined the party. We'll never know for sure but I often wonder if Accies had lost 4-0 that day if things would have been different and we would have missed the hilarity of Warburton, Caixinha etc...……. 

His win percentage is poor but no other Accies manager has managed exclusively in the top league, no other Accies manager has kept us there for 5 seasons.

The football can often be sore on the eyes but swept under the carpet was last season when Accies were the top scorers in the bottom 6, in fact outside the ugly sisters there was more goals to be seen at Accies than anywhere else. Going back to season 2017/18 pre Christmas Accies had went to Dundee, Motherwell, Hibs and Rangers and won, we were playing good football and were actually looking up rather than down and then the fraud scandal happened - game changer. Docherty was sold, players who had always played a part like Redmond, Gillespie and Longridge were trimmed off the wage bill (all of whom have flourished since going to play for a "better manager"? Actually all who are hardly ripping up trees in a league a level or 2 below Accies). The poor but experienced Donati was freed (another who hardly flourished under a "better manager"). Our only out and out right back walked out in Feb to go back to Greece leaving us without a replacement. Crawford and MacKinnon got long term injury meaning our entire midfield was gone - despite all this we avoided relegation, a tremendous achievement!

However, although I can happily try to defend his overall record even I can't defend the in defendable which is this season. Admittedly it was always going to be difficult to rebuild an entire squad and stay in the premiership (Billy Reid tried and failed) but the failure to be anyway competitive so often, the lack of goals or chances and the complete loss of the aggression and physicality which was our hallmark has left many spending their Saturdays elsewhere. Canning looks a broken man with any confidence in his own abilities lost. It is thoroughly depressing with no end in sight to the toxic atmosphere around the club as it seems to me that the more our fanbase crank up the rhetoric the more the board dig their heels in their determination to stick with Canning.

To say that Canning is doing a good job right now has no credibility and quite simply we should be doing better, however to write off the last 5 seasons as failure and to paint Canning as a clown equally has no credibility.

9 hours ago, yummy fur said:

It won't be popular but I'll give you a slightly alternative view of Canning's managerial career. 

The level of hate directed to Canning by some Accies supporters has always been a source of bemusement to me, it genuinely seems to be unprecedented. This is a player who played over 200 times for Accies and was playing at Easter Road during the play-offs which ranks with most Accies fans as their best moment in following the team. This is a man who has kept a quiet dignity throughout, not once having a dig at the support or responding to the abuse directed at him. Even recently during "da gate" he was pretty much the only one that came out with any credit, playing the incident down when the media seemed desperate for him to milk it.  I think there is a decent comparison to be had between Canning at Accies and Archibald at Thistle but whereas when Archibald finally got sacked after taking PT down and lingering at the bottom of the Championship there was a quiet regret and appreciation from Thistle fans Canning who has kept Accies up is subject to constant abuse.

He did have a terrible start and there has been some really poor results like Annan and Celtic but there has also been some tremendous results. Going to Ibrox and winning 2 nil, a first win there since the cup win in 1987 and first league win there in living memory for most. An achievement which has largely been forgotten or dismissed despite being done with Darren Lyon in the team (and scoring). Maybe an equal achievement was the draw at Ibrox on the opening day of the season after their promotion. Accies had their usual shambolic pre-season, our centre halfs had met each other the night before and we had as usual our August quota of 1 fit striker but with the going for 55 flags flying and the best player in Scotland - Joey Barton - playing Accies and Canning ruined the party. We'll never know for sure but I often wonder if Accies had lost 4-0 that day if things would have been different and we would have missed the hilarity of Warburton, Caixinha etc...……. 

His win percentage is poor but no other Accies manager has managed exclusively in the top league, no other Accies manager has kept us there for 5 seasons.

The football can often be sore on the eyes but swept under the carpet was last season when Accies were the top scorers in the bottom 6, in fact outside the ugly sisters there was more goals to be seen at Accies than anywhere else. Going back to season 2017/18 pre Christmas Accies had went to Dundee, Motherwell, Hibs and Rangers and won, we were playing good football and were actually looking up rather than down and then the fraud scandal happened - game changer. Docherty was sold, players who had always played a part like Redmond, Gillespie and Longridge were trimmed off the wage bill (all of whom have flourished since going to play for a "better manager"? Actually all who are hardly ripping up trees in a league a level or 2 below Accies). The poor but experienced Donati was freed (another who hardly flourished under a "better manager"). Our only out and out right back walked out in Feb to go back to Greece leaving us without a replacement. Crawford and MacKinnon got long term injury meaning our entire midfield was gone - despite all this we avoided relegation, a tremendous achievement!

However, although I can happily try to defend his overall record even I can't defend the in defendable which is this season. Admittedly it was always going to be difficult to rebuild an entire squad and stay in the premiership (Billy Reid tried and failed) but the failure to be anyway competitive so often, the lack of goals or chances and the complete loss of the aggression and physicality which was our hallmark has left many spending their Saturdays elsewhere. Canning looks a broken man with any confidence in his own abilities lost. It is thoroughly depressing with no end in sight to the toxic atmosphere around the club as it seems to me that the more our fanbase crank up the rhetoric the more the board dig their heels in their determination to stick with Canning.

To say that Canning is doing a good job right now has no credibility and quite simply we should be doing better, however to write off the last 5 seasons as failure and to paint Canning as a clown equally has no credibility.

You have just summed up the ONLY good things that have happened in 5 seasons, he has gave us 2 or 3 good results in that time, a good manager would give us a lot more in my opinion.

This season has been the worst yet,  i can't see us winning another game as things are that bad, i really hope i am wrong.

Martin Canning is a nice guy, there is no disputing that, but maybe that is part of the problem. 

Yummy Fur - I understand your post but in making your point you seem to have encapsulated the issue supporters have with Canning - in roughly 170 games we have played under him the games which we have enjoyed can be counted on the fingers of one hand. Rangers away twice, Hibs away when we were on a different planet. Maybe, maybe, a couple more. He has gone backwards year on year and while I think we have some good players and should be doing much better, we aren't because the manager now approaches most games like a coward, looking to keep the score down in defeat, rather than trying to win. People say we should accept what we are watching because we are in the top flight, but so what? The football is rubbish, any atmosphere at NDP is negative, we are watching highlights from behind the couch they are so scary and fewer fans are turning up each week. I will be amazed if we take more than 50 to Celtic Park tomorrow and fully expect us to get pumped, but for Canning to trot out his usual p!sh when we play anyone except Dundee or St Mirren. The players generally looked to have given up on Wednesday and if Aberdeen had been bothered they could have scored many more.

I genuinely cannot see us being even close to survival come the end of the season and expect us to be bottom after this weekend. Canning is now being questioned by some in the media but unfortunately most just see us once or twice and think that we must be not all that bad because we seem to survive each year, when the truth is that we sh!tfest our way through seasons and hope to be 3rd worse. Canning should be moved aside, but wont be as there is no real ambition at the club, with the BoD accepting survival as the total of their ambitions each year as it gives them the opportunity to ply Championship manager in real life. Its so bad it is laughable.

Our club is the Emperors New Clothes that the Scottish media is too stupid and self-serving to see. Aaaaaaagh !

Yummy Fur - Annan twice. And he's kept us up for three seasons not five. You can't count our first season as Neil's side accumulated such a points total as to make relegation virtually impossible. He might keep us up for his fourth season in a row...might.

Some of the abuse has been OTT but his record since last January is indefensible and any other club would have made a change. But I don't want Imrie anywhere near the job. Jim Goodwin or Stewart Petrie for me but that would mean behaving like a normal football club so I can't see that happening.