-Grand Theft Premiership V- (Hamilton Academical 2018/2019 thread.)

18 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I think folk are being incredibly harsh on Ziggy here.

Also don't understand the McGowan hate.

Agree we need a competent left back.

Theres a fair chance Brian Easton will be free this Summer...

3 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Would love Sheena back but is he not pretty much finished after his injury as well.

No idea, hes not played for us since December 2017. Last full 90 minutes he played was October of the same year.

1 minute ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

So probably then, thanks for that.

Aye, think he'll play a part in the final game, FWIW.

4 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Have I missed Dougie Imrie announcing his retirement? I just assumed he was, but they said on Sportscene that it's official. 

Said he was hanging the boots up on the alba coverage.

17 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Of course.

I guess I just believe that McGowan and Ziggy would/could be decent parts to an upgraded back four/five and goalkeeper. Bearing in mind our standing as a club in the top flight/Championship and our budget.

If we can attract better in the summer then of course I'd take that.

I agree with this, but I feel that both players deserve to have some criticism thrown their way and told that we need more from them next season.

Of course.
I guess I just believe that McGowan and Ziggy would/could be decent parts to an upgraded back four/five and goalkeeper. Bearing in mind our standing as a club in the top flight/Championship and our budget.
If we can attract better in the summer then of course I'd take that.
When playing in a two, Ziggy's just too erratic to be relied upon. A back three allows him to do some sillier things, but Rice hasn't really fancied that. I also think his distribution is all over the place.
However, I think if you looked at every win this season - maybe barring St Mirren (A) - then he'll have been excellent. I don't really know what that says, other than he perhaps lifts others in the team.
It will be really hard to replace his character and playing style, but in terms of being a reliable defender, we could probably find better... until someone else comes in and offers that player 2x the money.
McGowan's excellent in the air but that's his only attribute defensively. He's weird going forward: the aforementioned aerial ability allows him to cause real problems as he tends to go up against a left-back or winger, he's great at releasing pressure due to how he drives up the park, and he's shown in the last couple of games that he can beat a defender too. I just don't think his final ball is good enough.
With the right coaching, his defensive faults can be ironed out though, which I'd rather see than us trying to find another bloody right-back.
Said he was hanging the boots up on the alba coverage.
Cheers. He'll be missed as a means of winning fouls and winding up opposition/Motherwell fans, but he's probably been done for two or three seasons now. I wouldn't be surprised to see him closer to Rice in the coaching staff as well as u18s manager.

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

With the right coaching, his defensive faults can be ironed out though, which I'd rather see than us trying to find another bloody right-back.Cheers. He'll be missed as a means of winning fouls and winding up opposition/Motherwell fans, but he's probably been done for two or three seasons now. I wouldn't be surprised to see him closer to Rice in the coaching staff as well as u18s manager.

He did both to excellent effect at NDP in Saints first visit there this season - 'won' a penalty that made it 2-0, and did his usual repertoire with the Saints crowd throughout.

People say about folk like him "He's a nightmare to play against but great when in your team" - sadly, when he played for Saints that must have been his worst period of form in his whole career - and we paid more for him than we'd played for a player in the previous 20 years :lol:!

So who thinks we’ll :-

A - Break our record 33 point total of staying up by obtaining less than said amount.

B - Equal our record 33 point total of staying up.

C - Obtain more than 33 points.

So who thinks we’ll :-

A - Break our record 33 point total of staying up by obtaining less than said amount.

B - Equal our record 33 point total of staying up.

C - Obtain more than 33 points.
Not getting carried away. We've still got a job to do to stay in the Premiership. I'll stay hopeful that we'll get the point we need on Monday, 🤞then lose to St Johnstone.

Someone on WAH saying we're signing top scorer from the EoS league Kieran Anderson.
Les Gray said at a forum a couple of years ago that we take folk from this level all the time but they seldom end up signing, so I'd imagine this is just to see how he does in pre-season.

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

Someone on WAH saying we're signing top scorer from the EoS league Kieran Anderson.
Les Gray said at a forum a couple of years ago that we take folk from this level all the time but they seldom end up signing, so I'd imagine this is just to see how he does in pre-season.

He is nowhere near good enough for this level.

One of the papers reporting we want Blair Alston.

11 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

We've apparently offered Alston a deal aswell. No idea what he would choose, hes clearly not a starter for us.

Might depend on if you stay up.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Just now, tree house tam said:

We haven't offered him a deal, we are going to speak to him. Big difference. 

Ah that's better news then, cant imagine he'll be cheap, and hes effectively 6th choice in his favoured position now.

I'll take your word for it but no real harm in giving him a shot training with us. We'll probably be looking to sign at least two strikers this window given Davies and McMillan won't be here - and I'm sure Marios isn't signed either - although I'm not sure if Rice is playing with a 4-4-2 diamond because it's the formation he likes or because his hands are tied with the players he has.
I'd guess the former which means we could probably get away with just signing one striker (providing Marios stays).
Ah that's better news then, cant imagine he'll be cheap, and hes effectively 6th choice in his favoured position now.
Could he do a job for a Championship/lowly Premiership side?

2 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Could he do a job for a Championship/lowly Premiership side?

If you could find his best position, I think so. He plays best in the centre, but cant be trusted to track runners.