Dundee United 2018/2019

14 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

The only thing I've seen Csaba quoted as saying concerns the management team from last season, and their careless signing structure, including failure to properly evaluate the players brought in.

He should have kept his mouth tightly shut on that one, if we are all being encouraged to start afresh.

The ‘it wisnae meh fault’ defence.

I’d like him to explain:

Why he doesn’t leave players up when the opposition has a free kick/corner.

Why he had Lyng in the squad ahead of Matty Smith.

Why he brought Lyng on.

Why he waited so long in games to make subbies then make the wrong subbies.

Why go to two up front late on in games, look more dangerous, then revert to one up front the following game.

Simple questions really.

Edited by Granny Danger

1 minute ago, chazas_ said:

For me this league is all about managers getting the best from their group of players. Livi and St Mirren showed that last season. Quality wise most players and teams are all much of a muchness, and what we’ve signed I wouldn’t say is better than what we’ve had over the last two seasons. It’s all about what Csaba can get out of them and, based on what we saw last season, I’ve not got high hopes.

Spot on.  Sadly I have run out of greenies.

We've no idea how good half the signed players are, there could be some proper Lyngs, Zwicks and Taggarts in there. Actually very likely.

Still two or three very solid signings away from challenging for promotion.

We've no idea how good half the signed players are, there could be some proper Lyngs, Zwicks and Taggarts in there. Actually very likely.
Still two or three very solid signings away from challenging for promotion.

Hmmm not sure I agree with the first part of your statement. All but 3 of the signings (and two of them are goalkeepers) have played multiple seasons in either the premiership or championship and therefore are somewhat known quantities, having had at least some success at their clubs. Whether or not they are any good for us is a different matter, but there at least appears to be some consideration and rationale behind the signings, which has not consistently been the case over the last few years. I wholeheartedly agree with the second part though

11 minutes ago, dregs 83 said:

Hmmm not sure I agree with the first part of your statement. All but 3 of the signings (and two of them are goalkeepers) have played multiple seasons in either the premiership or championship and therefore are somewhat known quantities, having had at least some success at their clubs. Whether or not they are any good for us is a different matter, but there at least appears to be some consideration and rationale behind the signings, which has not consistently been the case over the last few years. I wholeheartedly agree with the second part though

The bolded bit is more what I was getting at, that until we see even the fairly known quantities in tangerine we're not going to know if they have what it takes.

A clearout and almost entire new starting lineup is definitely an exciting prospect, seeing new potential heroes. But I also get the fear that we'll be a month into the season wondering WTF we've done, again. Imagine a Lyng in goals, one at the back, one in midfield, and one up top, with two more waiting on the bench.

Edited by banana

5 hours ago, banana said:

Potentially good bit of business that, especially when it turns out he's a better keeper than any of the guys we've just signed.

You just know these foreign keepers will be pish and we'll have Neil Alexander sitting on the bench, not registered as a player.

I assume he has decided himself to give up playing, as he could have stayed at Livingston. Their fans seems very disappointed he has left.

I reckon Morris signing for you guys on Friday and Emil Lyng signing for us on Monday should see Halbeath Road thread reach DEFCON1. I recall comments on BBCRadio Scot on whether he'd actually seen a football before, so could be just right for completing the stealthy underdog side AJ is looking for. Falkirk fans will drop in to mock in their hundreds (sorry one's) and you folks will do the same. Looking forward to it.

Edited by Black and White Tragic

7 hours ago, Black and White Tragic said:

I reckon Morris signing for you guys on Friday and Emil Lyng signing for us on Monday should see Halbeath Road thread reach DEFCON1. I recall comments on BBCRadio Scot on whether he'd actually seen a football before, so could be just right for completing the stealthy underdog side AJ is looking for. Falkirk fans will drop in to mock in their hundreds (sorry one's) and you folks will do the same. Looking forward to it.

Are you serious? Please tell me thats a whoosh. I wouldnt even inflict him on The Rangers. Well, maybe...

12 hours ago, banana said:

The bolded bit is more what I was getting at, that until we see even the fairly known quantities in tangerine we're not going to know if they have what it takes.

The same could be said for literally every signing, tbf. 

14 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

The same could be said for literally every signing, tbf. 

Sure, was getting at the increased uncertainty of the starting lineup and squad being entirely new signings, not just two or three. 

Edited by banana

26 minutes ago, banana said:

Sure, was getting at the increased uncertainty of the starting lineup and squad being entirely new signings, not just two or three. 

Aye, I think the fact that most of them will have experience of the Championship will help. I'm certainly much more comfortable with the prospect of integrating Clark, Aird and Wardrop into the team than I would be if we were plucking randomly from the English lower leagues and abroad. 

3 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Aye, I think the fact that most of them will have experience of the Championship will help. I'm certainly much more comfortable with the prospect of integrating Clark, Aird and Wardrop into the team than I would be if we were plucking randomly from the English lower leagues and abroad. 

Maybe we will win the league by default with Dunfermline signing dross like Flood and Connolly and Falkirk's Glenn Hoddle-esque failed English player academy.

1 minute ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Blair is an upgrade on Aidan and that is not a compliment.

Poor wee Dunfermline.

Have two clubs in the same division ever swapped so many players between each other in the one season?