Jump to content

Dundee United 2018/2019


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Tin hat on (and not that I am suggesting this) but Csaba Laszlo seems to be the type of person who would probably do a better job as a Director of Football rather than as manager. I actually spent time with him on Saturday before the game as part of the club's SLG and I will be honest, he came across well. He was passionate and informative but the majority of what he said related more to the off the field matters than the team itself. He talked about the radius rule, contract structures, club standards and the management of the squad as 'professionals'. Don't get me wrong, I still think he is a terrible manager and needs to leave but I thought after the meeting that he did speak a lot of sense but more from a club management stance rather than player management.

Just because some people might be interested, here are some of the things he did mention about the club - 

 - He talked about the players all living apart from one another and that there was a separate bus load of players who arrived at training every day from the west coast. He also said that the club had previous agreements with two or three players to train in Glasgow once or twice a week so they weren't even coming to Dundee. The teambus was empty coming back from games and now that is not the case.

 - The club previously had players on contracts that awarded a bonus for a draw, this has now been removed.

 - He is passionate about a structured, solid and possession based style of football and he believes in this philosophy. Keeping people back at corners allows for one or two defensive players to remain free and act as additional cover (this was mentioned by a director who had asked him the question previous and not Laszlo).

 - The training schedule used to be three full days and one half day but it is now - Sunday de-brief and warm-down, Monday off, Tuesday - Friday (training on Friday at Tannadice if there is a home game).

 - 3 or 4 players at the club are still a disruptive influence and he wants them out but they are dragging their heels. He thinks that the majority of players have bought into the new philosophy of the training and 'professional standards' but a few are still hanging around and not giving enough effort (I'm assuming Keatings and McMullan might be in that group).

 - Some players have openly turned us down because they don't want to play at some of the venues we go to in the Championship. He said he had a meeting with Mohsni and his dad and that Bilel was keen to say and loved the club but thought he should be playing at a higher level. 

David Southern was a the meeting and suggested that Mike Martin and Laszlo had serious words about how Laszlo treated the Betfred and that it would not happen again. It only did happen because of all the changes to the training structure and new players meaning the squad were all at different levels of fitness and preparation. 

 

Not having a pop at you, Stu, but i think Csaba can (sort of) talk a good game and is an absolute blagger.

I would reply to that saying the vast majority of Clubs will have players travelling from different areas, especially when they are on 1 or 2 year deals. I personally, have no problems with that and its a shite excuse to me from Csaba.

The players should train together every day however. If they want to live in Glasgow and sign for United they should be well aware of where Dundee and St Andrews are in Scotland and be prepared to travel. Much like normal people.

Nothing about Laszlo says structured, organised and possession football. At no point after Fyvie got injured last November or something, have we looked anywhere near structured. He can be passionate about it but that dosent mean he can do it.

What are they doing while training? Why are we so poor if we are training 4 days a week? I assume its 4 half days looking at the performance levels and complete cluelessness of the players. A left back should know roughly what hes meant to do and where he should be. Same with any other professional footballer paid an excellent salary. Ours look like theyve been picked out the stand and told to go play.

I wouldnt let him near a DOF role. I wouldnt let him near a fucking sausage roll. 

Edited by mishtergrolsch
Csaba Laszlo'd a sentence
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tin hat on (and not that I am suggesting this) but Csaba Laszlo seems to be the type of person who would probably do a better job as a Director of Football rather than as manager. I actually spent time with him on Saturday before the game as part of the club's SLG and I will be honest, he came across well. He was passionate and informative but the majority of what he said related more to the off the field matters than the team itself. He talked about the radius rule, contract structures, club standards and the management of the squad as 'professionals'. Don't get me wrong, I still think he is a terrible manager and needs to leave but I thought after the meeting that he did speak a lot of sense but more from a club management stance rather than player management.
Just because some people might be interested, here are some of the things he did mention about the club - 
 - He talked about the players all living apart from one another and that there was a separate bus load of players who arrived at training every day from the west coast. He also said that the club had previous agreements with two or three players to train in Glasgow once or twice a week so they weren't even coming to Dundee. The teambus was empty coming back from games and now that is not the case.
 - The club previously had players on contracts that awarded a bonus for a draw, this has now been removed.
 - He is passionate about a structured, solid and possession based style of football and he believes in this philosophy. Keeping people back at corners allows for one or two defensive players to remain free and act as additional cover (this was mentioned by a director who had asked him the question previous and not Laszlo).
 - The training schedule used to be three full days and one half day but it is now - Sunday de-brief and warm-down, Monday off, Tuesday - Friday (training on Friday at Tannadice if there is a home game).
 - 3 or 4 players at the club are still a disruptive influence and he wants them out but they are dragging their heels. He thinks that the majority of players have bought into the new philosophy of the training and 'professional standards' but a few are still hanging around and not giving enough effort (I'm assuming Keatings and McMullan might be in that group).
 - Some players have openly turned us down because they don't want to play at some of the venues we go to in the Championship. He said he had a meeting with Mohsni and his dad and that Bilel was keen to say and loved the club but thought he should be playing at a higher level. 
David Southern was a the meeting and suggested that Mike Martin and Laszlo had serious words about how Laszlo treated the Betfred and that it would not happen again. It only did happen because of all the changes to the training structure and new players meaning the squad were all at different levels of fitness and preparation. 


Great insight as it’s not something you see or hear. new signings always comment that it was the chat with CL that convinced them and MM seems a smart and experienced guy and he’s seen something in him.
It could be that CL is just one of these people who can regurgitate other peoples ideas and sound knowledgable but can’t actually put them in practice.

I’m disappointed that Sturrock doesn’t seem to have been a bit braver and raised concerns to MM about going all in.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, PartyFears2 said:

3 hours training for

Pass the ball along the back line.
Pass to CM.
He gives it back.
Pass to full back.
Hoof it at two small forwards who have no chance of winning the ball - if they're lucky enough for it to not have gone out of play.

Ftfy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dirty Arab 83 said:


Great insight, easy to see now how he blagged the interview for manager.

 

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

 

Not having a pop at you, Stu, but i think Csaba can (sort of) talk a good game and is an absolute blagger.

I would reply to that saying the vast majority of Clubs will have players travelling from different areas, especially when they are on 1 or 2 year deals. I personally, have no problems with that and its a shite excuse to me from Csaba.

The players should train together every day however. If they want to live in Glasgow and sign for United they should be well aware of where Dundee and St Andrews are in Scotland and be prepared to travel. Much like normal people.

Nothing about Laszlo says structured, organised and possession football. At no point after Fyvie got injured last November or something, have we looked anywhere near structured. He can be passionate about it but that dosent mean he can do it.

What are they doing while training? Why are we so poor if we are training 4 days a week? I assume its 4 half days looking at the performance levels and complete cluelessness of the players. A left back should know roughly what hes meant to do and where he should be. Same with any other professional footballer paid an excellent salary. Ours look like theyve been picked out the stand and told to go play.

I wouldnt let him near a DOF role. I wouldnt let him near a fucking sausage roll. 

 

1 hour ago, Cuparab said:

 


Great insight as it’s not something you see or hear. new signings always comment that it was the chat with CL that convinced them and MM seems a smart and experienced guy and he’s seen something in him.
It could be that CL is just one of these people who can regurgitate other peoples ideas and sound knowledgable but can’t actually put them in practice.

I’m disappointed that Sturrock doesn’t seem to have been a bit braver and raised concerns to MM about going all in.

 

As I said in my original post he does talk a good game and he is probably someone who, if you spend a short period of time with, comes across as engaging and passionate. In that sense he probably did blag the job based on his ability to do this and when he was appointed I remember many fans (myself included) that were taken in by his style of interview. Obviously as time has worn on his press conferences and pre/post match catch-ups on ArabZone are increasingly bizarre but he can talk a good game when he wants to. That is why I originally mentioned the DoF type role (but not for us). He has been given the same overall control that Levein had under Thompson so it is probably a case of Martin giving him too much freedom and maybe now he realises that was a mistake (but is too stubborn to do anything about it).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

:lol:

This is mental shite! Lazlo is a fucking nutter.

I can’t tell if he is a fucking nutter or if he’s actually extremely aware and manipulative. Either way, he needs to go before this supposed ‘do or die’ season is a complete write-off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Dirty Arab 83 said:


Correct it doesn't have to be a Brian Clough or Jim McLean. Just a safe pair of hands to get , what looks from the outside a decent squad of players at this level, back on track and heading in the right direction.

Even if there was a Clough or McLean kicking about there's absolutely no chance they'd be successful. It's immediate success or gtf as far as most fans are concerned so they'd both be out the door after their first season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, stumigoo said:

 Keeping people back at corners allows for one or two defensive players to remain free and act as additional cover (this was mentioned by a director who had asked him the question previous and not Laszlo).

This makes no sense. Leaving a player up means the opposition cannot commit as many players, hence less cover is required.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even if there was a Clough or McLean kicking about there's absolutely no chance they'd be successful. It's immediate success or gtf as far as most fans are concerned so they'd both be out the door after their first season. 

I’m not sure about this. Having hit such a low, if there were signs of a plan, drive,commitment and passion etc then even if it sometimes failed the majority would still be behind it.
As long as there were signs of progress and learning from mistakes while attempting new ideas or tactics, I think there would be a good level of patience and support
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

 

 

As I said in my original post he does talk a good game and he is probably someone who, if you spend a short period of time with, comes across as engaging and passionate. In that sense he probably did blag the job based on his ability to do this and when he was appointed I remember many fans (myself included) that were taken in by his style of interview. Obviously as time has worn on his press conferences and pre/post match catch-ups on ArabZone are increasingly bizarre but he can talk a good game when he wants to. That is why I originally mentioned the DoF type role (but not for us). He has been given the same overall control that Levein had under Thompson so it is probably a case of Martin giving him too much freedom and maybe now he realises that was a mistake (but is too stubborn to do anything about it).

That is a terrifying thing to think about. Genuinely baffling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Tin hat on (and not that I am suggesting this) but Csaba Laszlo seems to be the type of person who would probably do a better job as a Director of Football rather than as manager. I actually spent time with him on Saturday before the game as part of the club's SLG and I will be honest, he came across well. He was passionate and informative but the majority of what he said related more to the off the field matters than the team itself. He talked about the radius rule, contract structures, club standards and the management of the squad as 'professionals'. Don't get me wrong, I still think he is a terrible manager and needs to leave but I thought after the meeting that he did speak a lot of sense but more from a club management stance rather than player management.

Just because some people might be interested, here are some of the things he did mention about the club - 

 - He talked about the players all living apart from one another and that there was a separate bus load of players who arrived at training every day from the west coast. He also said that the club had previous agreements with two or three players to train in Glasgow once or twice a week so they weren't even coming to Dundee. The teambus was empty coming back from games and now that is not the case.

 - The club previously had players on contracts that awarded a bonus for a draw, this has now been removed.

 - He is passionate about a structured, solid and possession based style of football and he believes in this philosophy. Keeping people back at corners allows for one or two defensive players to remain free and act as additional cover (this was mentioned by a director who had asked him the question previous and not Laszlo).

 - The training schedule used to be three full days and one half day but it is now - Sunday de-brief and warm-down, Monday off, Tuesday - Friday (training on Friday at Tannadice if there is a home game).

 - 3 or 4 players at the club are still a disruptive influence and he wants them out but they are dragging their heels. He thinks that the majority of players have bought into the new philosophy of the training and 'professional standards' but a few are still hanging around and not giving enough effort (I'm assuming Keatings and McMullan might be in that group).

 - Some players have openly turned us down because they don't want to play at some of the venues we go to in the Championship. He said he had a meeting with Mohsni and his dad and that Bilel was keen to say and loved the club but thought he should be playing at a higher level. 

David Southern was a the meeting and suggested that Mike Martin and Laszlo had serious words about how Laszlo treated the Betfred and that it would not happen again. It only did happen because of all the changes to the training structure and new players meaning the squad were all at different levels of fitness and preparation. 

You see, that's what I find odd. This all makes sense. It's very hard to reconcile all of this with the drooling idiot we are subjected to in every post match interview.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, banana said:

This makes no sense. Leaving a player up means the opposition cannot commit as many players, hence less cover is required.

Agreed. The same director then said something about Laszlo explaining the odds of breaking away and scoring from a corner are less likely than conceding from the set-piece (or something along those lines)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Buccanarab said:

Even if there was a Clough or McLean kicking about there's absolutely no chance they'd be successful. It's immediate success or gtf as far as most fans are concerned so they'd both be out the door after their first season. 

I’m not sure I’m picking you up right, but are you suggesting that Laszlo has not been given enough of a chance to prove himself?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, stumigoo said:

Agreed. The same director then said something about Laszlo explaining the odds of breaking away and scoring from a corner are less likely than conceding from the set-piece (or something along those lines)

All from a guy who didnt know what team we were playing a couple of weeks ago...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

That is a terrifying thing to think about. Genuinely baffling.

Maybe because there are no 'football people' on the board and Laszlo talks a good game it was a case of "do what you need to do". Certainly the contract structure, radius rule and training regime have all been put in place or co-ordinated by Laszlo.

Edited by stumigoo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

You see, that's what I find odd. This all makes sense. It's very hard to reconcile all of this with the drooling idiot we are subjected to in every post match interview.

That's what I thought at the time. He seemed like a totally different person but maybe he was just playing the audience and talking the talk. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

That's what I thought at the time. He seemed like a totally different person but maybe he was just playing the audience and talking the talk. 

Maybe he’s schizophrenic!  

 

 

 

 

If so we should get rid of both of him.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Buccanarab said:

Even if there was a Clough or McLean kicking about there's absolutely no chance they'd be successful. It's immediate success or gtf as far as most fans are concerned so they'd both be out the door after their first season. 

Unfortunately the position we are in doesn't allow for time. In an ideal world the board would bin Laszlo, bring someone competent in and publicly back them to do a job over a sustained period of time without fear of the club being plunged into serious financial meltdown. If that mythical situation did occur and the board were open and honest then the fans would at least back a "project" led by someone who can do that properly. Unfortunately we need someone who can quickly deliver promotion otherwise we are potentially fucked (who that might be I have no idea). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...