Dundee United 2018/2019

28 minutes ago, Twinkle said:
1 hour ago, banana said:
He didn't shit it, he tried to nick the ball past the Dunfermline player. He looks cumbersome, but is clearly talented.

He had the perfect opportunity to take the ball and cement the Pars player at the same time. Putting in those sort of tackles sets a standard that his teammates should follow. Be aggressive, stronger and hungry. Instead he thought he was a football player, lost it and they scored from it. Looking at both Aberdeen and Sevco today, their players were hammering into 50/50s yet we have a midfield that is shit scared to get involved with the dirty work

If it's the incident that Banana's referring to then it wasn't a 50:50. He had possession of the ball and looked to beat his man. Nothing to do with shiting out of a challenge.

In the event that Laszlo is sacked (and, given the sheer level of the hatred - the likes of which I have never seen after one game of a season...), does anyone really believe that we have the boardroom to choose someone better?

Since Craig Levein (and, by extension, his assistant and successor Peter Houston) we haven't been able to pick a decent manager.  Looking further back, since Jim McLean left we have only had 3 managers who lasted 100 games... my point being: whilst Laszlo is awful; the chances of us improving upon him are frighteningly low.  And sacking him may cost us another fortune in severance (especially as we will likely get rid of the backroom staff at this stage - keeping Ellis etc. on when McKinnon left does not seem to have been a smart move) and it doesn't take an accountant to confirm that we haven't cash lying around to waste.

People suggesting Jim McIntyre seem to have forgotten that he isn't an amazing manager, and that as a former player he will almost certainly be an abject disappointment (see Brewster, Mixu, McKinnon etc. at United and dozens of other examples at other clubs).  For whatever reason, it just doesn't seem to work where the manager has a history as a player.

I dont buy into the ex player to manager thing. I think weve just picked shite managers who have been players. For example, would you turn Neilson or McInnes down as manager if they were available? Ex players with decent management reputations. 

I think McIntyre would do well, id see him getting us promoted and settling us in the top league. Decent experience, talks reasonably well and isnt Csaba Laszlo or John Hughes. 

I dont buy into the ex player to manager thing. I think weve just picked shite managers who have been players. For example, would you turn Neilson or McInnes down as manager if they were available? Ex players with decent management reputations. 
I think McIntyre would do well, id see him getting us promoted and settling us in the top league. Decent experience, talks reasonably well and isnt Csaba Laszlo or John Hughes. 

Agree with this.
Alan Irvine or Billy McKinlay could be an option - a huge drop from the EPL but would think their options would be limited

4 hours ago, arab_joe said:

In the event that Laszlo is sacked (and, given the sheer level of the hatred - the likes of which I have never seen after one game of a season...), does anyone really believe that we have the boardroom to choose someone better?

Since Craig Levein (and, by extension, his assistant and successor Peter Houston) we haven't been able to pick a decent manager.  Looking further back, since Jim McLean left we have only had 3 managers who lasted 100 games... my point being: whilst Laszlo is awful; the chances of us improving upon him are frighteningly low.  And sacking him may cost us another fortune in severance (especially as we will likely get rid of the backroom staff at this stage - keeping Ellis etc. on when McKinnon left does not seem to have been a smart move) and it doesn't take an accountant to confirm that we haven't cash lying around to waste.

People suggesting Jim McIntyre seem to have forgotten that he isn't an amazing manager, and that as a former player he will almost certainly be an abject disappointment (see Brewster, Mixu, McKinnon etc. at United and dozens of other examples at other clubs).  For whatever reason, it just doesn't seem to work where the manager has a history as a player.

Nope, not having that bit in bold. There's a world of difference between struggling to achieve the required level of success (McKinnon for example) and falling-down-the-stairs, arse-over-tit, abject failure (Laszlo). We may not be able to find someone who can win the league this season but there must be dozens of out of work, competent jobbers who could steady the ship and put us back in the pack of teams with a decent chance of promotion.

Nope, not having that bit in bold. There's a world of difference between struggling to achieve the required level of success (McKinnon for example) and falling-down-the-stairs, arse-over-tit, abject failure (Laszlo). We may not be able to find someone who can win the league this season but there must be dozens of out of work, competent jobbers who could steady the ship and put us back in the pack of teams with a decent chance of promotion.

Correct it doesn't have to be a Brian Clough or Jim McLean. Just a safe pair of hands to get , what looks from the outside a decent squad of players at this level, back on track and heading in the right direction.

10 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

There are loads of managers that would improve us literally overnight. Ive never seen such a joke of a team and management performance before. Honestly, does anyone think we wouldnt improve with McIntyre, McCall or Neilsen? f**k, even Ian McCall looks like Marcello Lippi compared to Laszlo.

Not saying id want him back.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

Tin hat on (and not that I am suggesting this) but Csaba Laszlo seems to be the type of person who would probably do a better job as a Director of Football rather than as manager. I actually spent time with him on Saturday before the game as part of the club's SLG and I will be honest, he came across well. He was passionate and informative but the majority of what he said related more to the off the field matters than the team itself. He talked about the radius rule, contract structures, club standards and the management of the squad as 'professionals'. Don't get me wrong, I still think he is a terrible manager and needs to leave but I thought after the meeting that he did speak a lot of sense but more from a club management stance rather than player management.

Just because some people might be interested, here are some of the things he did mention about the club - 

- He talked about the players all living apart from one another and that there was a separate bus load of players who arrived at training every day from the west coast. He also said that the club had previous agreements with two or three players to train in Glasgow once or twice a week so they weren't even coming to Dundee. The teambus was empty coming back from games and now that is not the case.

- The club previously had players on contracts that awarded a bonus for a draw, this has now been removed.

- He is passionate about a structured, solid and possession based style of football and he believes in this philosophy. Keeping people back at corners allows for one or two defensive players to remain free and act as additional cover (this was mentioned by a director who had asked him the question previous and not Laszlo).

- The training schedule used to be three full days and one half day but it is now - Sunday de-brief and warm-down, Monday off, Tuesday - Friday (training on Friday at Tannadice if there is a home game).

- 3 or 4 players at the club are still a disruptive influence and he wants them out but they are dragging their heels. He thinks that the majority of players have bought into the new philosophy of the training and 'professional standards' but a few are still hanging around and not giving enough effort (I'm assuming Keatings and McMullan might be in that group).

- Some players have openly turned us down because they don't want to play at some of the venues we go to in the Championship. He said he had a meeting with Mohsni and his dad and that Bilel was keen to say and loved the club but thought he should be playing at a higher level. 

David Southern was a the meeting and suggested that Mike Martin and Laszlo had serious words about how Laszlo treated the Betfred and that it would not happen again. It only did happen because of all the changes to the training structure and new players meaning the squad were all at different levels of fitness and preparation. 

30 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Back to work tomorrow stu so no more daytime drinking.

As I said I don't think Laszlo is for us in any capacity, I was just saying that from how he spoke he sounded more like a Director of Football rather than a manager. 

Still a week to go... (no daytime drinking for me anyway, I'm a responsible parent now).

1 minute ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I'll give that six months... 

It's been nine months and I'm still holding strong! It is more not having the energy to drink (or much else) that is holding me back to be honest.