Dundee United 2018/2019

13 hours ago, Accent-Unknown said:

Can't believe I'm saying this and maybe emotions are just running high but Robbie Neilson can f**k right off.

I’ve lost faith in Neilson.

I have nothing against 4-2-3-1 but he persists with it even when it’s not working; he won’t make attacking changes during a game even when it’s obvious that we need to do so; he’s too willing to make defensive changes when we’re just holding on to a narrow lead and when there’s no need to do so.

I think we have a very decent squad of players for this level but the formation and tactics is not getting the most out of them.

21 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’ve lost faith in Neilson.

I have nothing against 4-2-3-1 but he persists with it even when it’s not working; he won’t make attacking changes during a game even when it’s obvious that we need to do so; he’s too willing to make defensive changes when we’re just holding on to a narrow lead and when there’s no need to do so.

I think we have a very decent squad of players for this level but the formation and tactics is not getting the most out of them.

I'd love to see the stats on goals conceded when Gomis is on the pitch

The tactics were fine yesterday for 75 minutes or so, the problem came (as far as I can work out) from wasteful finishing and defensive substitutions. United played very well for the bulk of that game. It's not the first time United have lost a late goal when trying to protect a lead, and that's the real concern, because we all know it's going to happen again in the playoffs.

27 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'd love to see the stats on goals conceded when Gomis is on the pitch

Since his encouraging debut vs Montrose in the cup, Gomis has been involved in 7 games:

Away vs Ayr - started, conceded goal, sent off, lost 1-0

Away vs St Mirren (cup) - subbed on, conceded, held on for 2-1 win

Away vs QoS - started, won 1-0

Away vs Falkirk - subbed on, conceded equaliser, drew 1-1

Home vs ICT - subbed on, held on to win 1-0

Home vs ICT (cup) - subbed on at 0-1 down, lost 2-1

Away vs Ross Co - subbed on, conceded equaliser, drew 1-1

That doesn't look too good for him, but it's possibly as much down the change of tactics normally associated with bringing him on and our general inability to see games out defensively as a team. 

16 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

That doesn't look too good for him, but it's possibly as much down the change of tactics normally associated with bringing him on and our general inability to see games out defensively as a team. 

It’s easy to scapegoat individual players.  Whatever Gomis’ failings he shouldn’t be carrying the can for Neilson’s ineptitude.

Depending on the performances in the remaining games and then our form in the playoffs you might find Ogren asking Tony Asghar if he believes Neilson is the right man. My instinct is that the manager will be given time and will still be here when the 19/20 season starts regardless of whether or not we are in the Premiership or the Championship. We are better than we were but Neilson's failings are costing us important points. 

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

Depending on the performances in the remaining games and then our form in the playoffs you might find Ogren asking Tony Asghar if he believes Neilson is the right man. My instinct is that the manager will be given time and will still be here when the 19/20 season starts regardless of whether or not we are in the Premiership or the Championship. We are better than we were but Neilson's failings are costing us important points. 

If we get promoted Neilson deserves the job.  If not he should be punted.

He doesn’t seem to realise his formation, lack of willingness to tweak that formation when required and tactics are costing us points.  If he doesn’t realise by now he’s never going to realise it.

Neilson is the best manager we’ve had for quite some time, he’s just pigheaded and myopic.

I hope Ogren is results driven; if so Neilson will be gone if we’re not promoted.

Interesting comment above about Neilson only taking credit for the positives. It could be argued that there are those who can only see the negatives. As disappointing and frustrating as last night was we did go away to the best team in the division and utterly dominate them for almost the entire game. If the disappointing end was down to Neilson then so was the 90 minutes which preceded it. He's surely not responsible for missing all those chances which would have put the game to bed (although there's clearly something which needs to change in that regard). 

Unless we go backwards from here then I think he deserves a full season to have another crack at it. For the record I said the same about  McKinnon, although that was a marginal call.  I'd have shot Laszlo into the sun after the horsing at Falkirk.

2 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Interesting comment above about Neilson only taking credit for the positives. It could be argued that there are those who can only see the negatives. As disappointing and frustrating as last night was we did go away to the best team in the division and utterly dominate them for almost the entire game. If the disappointing end was down to Neilson then so was the 90 minutes which preceded it. He's surely not responsible for missing all those chances which would have put the game to bed (although there's clearly something which needs to change in that regard). 

Unless we go backwards from here then I think he deserves a full season to have another crack at it. For the record I said the same about  McKinnon, although that was a marginal call.  I'd have shot Laszlo into the sun after the horsing at Falkirk.

We've had a number of games recently where we have created multiple chances but only scored once.

Questions need to be asked of the striker coach tbh.

3 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Weren’t you against Laszlo being binned?  I’m pretty sure there was a lively debate on here and you were one of the few defending him.

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Weren’t you against Laszlo being binned?  I’m pretty sure there was a lively debate on here and you were one of the few defending him.

No. I was against the hysterical reaction to not sacking him but then I'm against vilifying people generally. I think I defended Martin, for not sacking him, or at least offered the counter viewpoint. It's easy to throw your hands in the air and say 'f**k it, start again'. There's been definite improvement under Neilson and I'm not convinced we'll be able to find a better replacement.

26 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

We've had a number of games recently where we have created multiple chances but only scored once.

Aye. It's been absolutely infuriating. God knows what the answer is. My instinct is to persevere and hope that it will come good. Surely the hard part is making the chances?

Why on earth would you question the coach? How about questioning the guys who couldn't hit a coo in the erse we a banjo? You think McCulloch teaches them to miss?