Dundee United 2018/2019

Accepting defeat and the heads going down when we are up against it has been a part of our fabric for years now. It is seriously pissing me off.

Last night Fyvie, when substituted, slowly walked off the park without so much as a whimper to his teammates. He is club captain. He should have been running off (given we were behind) and whilst doing it he should have been trying to lift the players left on the park. We have none of that. We have nobody who organises, shouts, berates and drags the players up. Someone like a Barry Robson or a Lee Wilkie or Darren Dods is much needed and to be honest we need four or five guys like that who will take no shit and actually play with genuine conviction. Our defensive play is so weak and feeble which allows teams to overrun us and put us under pressure. Regardless of who has been in charge in recent years the same issues are still here.

Guest DAVIDB69

I think last night reminded me very much of the semi final 2nd leg play off last year against Livingston , the promotion hopes were ending yet the players were strolling around like it was no big deal .

I got the impression last night the same , the key games in the championship over the last few years especially the play off ones , we don’t seem to recognise the significant games and we don’t seem to treat them any differently .

Perhaps as the poster about says we need a few boot arse type players and we have none of them , we are a small lightweight team with no backbone

Until that changes we are in this leagues for a long time .

It’s all very well to say that we have improved under Neilson, but that performance was as bad as I have ever seen from United. The number of times we put a simple 5 yard pass off the pitch or straight to an Ayr player was ridiculous. The wind was strong but that’s not an excuse for a simple pass on the deck going miles offline.

It took us about 20 minutes to get anywhere close enough to them that we could even attempt a proper tackle, and we were second to just about every loose ball. As others have said, there is no fight in the team, and no leadership. The captains armband got handed around about 5 guys when Fyvie went off before Gomis finally accepted the poisoned chalice.

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Our defenders were awful last night but who determined the policy of hoof ball?  Bad enough in normal times, crazy in strong swirling winds.

Our players’ inability to adapt to conditions is terrible.

It was actually laughable. Somehow we seemed disadvantaged by the wind in both halfs. 2nd half their strikers were just dropping off, waiting for the high ball to hold up in the wind then taking it in completely unchallenged.

Unless we start moving the ball quicker, get two forwards on from the start, press teams and win second balls we are going to bumble about for ages nearly making the playoff finals.

Say what you want but Levien and Houston's Utd teams would never ever have played like that.

Theres no style of play, patterns or any sort of visible idea of whats going on.  We need to be more direct and start hassling teams from the front. This tippy tappy pish with an isolated forward is really fucking useless.

Starting to wonder if i was right and it was all Levien at Hertz after all. Hope im not.

Finger oot, Robbie. Pronto.

What's the story with Fraser Aird?

Not heard any links or that but I just find it peculiar that he seems to have such a good assist contribution on paper and was player of the month for the league in November and now seems to be frozen out. He's always been quite a good player when I've seen him.

57 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Stu's review of the game should be read to the players every day at training this week. 

And then whack them about the heid with paper copies of it until it fucking sinks in that they are wee mice and need to grow a set. 

Haha, cheers. I had a shit week last week and then spent 9 hours of my day travelling and watching United on Friday which meant when I wrote it I wasn't in the best of moods!

It is here for anyone who wants a read.

6 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Haha, cheers. I had a shit week last week and then spent 9 hours of my day travelling and watching United on Friday which meant when I wrote it I wasn't in the best of moods!

Having read your stuff recently it's been good to see a more critical approach. The players need to be reading something like that and then to watch their performances where that mentality has been evident. 

Afterwards they can then get on top of it and move forwards more effectively. 

Get me in for team psychology :lol:

42 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Not critical enough of Neilson, too critical of Safranko.  I don’t think the latter could have done anything more with the complete lack of service; forced to drop back and try to create things for himself.  A complete waste of our biggest goal threat.

Other than that a very well observed piece.

1 hour ago, Loemba90 said:

Aird is available for loan.

Is he actually available for loan or are you suggesting that he should be available for loan? I'd be very disappointed if Neilson has given up on him. He's got his limitations as a winger in that he's not particularly fast and doesn't have a trick to beat his man but he can put in a more dangerous cross from pretty much anywhere in the opposition half than anyone else in the squad can manage from the byline. With Aird and Safranko in the team there's the possibility of a goal out of virtually nothing at any time.

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

What's the story with Fraser Aird?

Not heard any links or that but I just find it peculiar that he seems to have such a good assist contribution on paper and was player of the month for the league in November and now seems to be frozen out. He's always been quite a good player when I've seen him.

Excellent crosser of a ball whether from open play or set pieces but is a lazy player who offers his own full back very little help when the opposing full back gets forward.  Last couple of games he has looked like he doesn't care and has put in even less effort than usual, suspect Neilson has had a pop at him re efforts and instead of proving the manager wrong and fighting for his place he has simply gave up. It's a pity as McMillan, King, etc can't cross a fucking road but the fact they run about a bit has them getting more game time. 

18 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

Excellent crosser of a ball whether from open play or set pieces but is a lazy player who offers his own full back very little help when the opposing full back gets forward.  Last couple of games he has looked like he doesn't care and has put in even less effort than usual, suspect Neilson has had a pop at him re efforts and instead of proving the manager wrong and fighting for his place he has simply gave up. It's a pity as McMillan, King, etc can't cross a fucking road but the fact they run about a bit has them getting more game time. 

After watching the Ayr game i think he's not the only one who can be accused of not caring.

Id be playing Aird simply for the odd cross and free kick. Its massively more than the combined contributions of McMullan and King. 

Id also suggest that all the wingers in the squad offer little to no protection either and id go as far to say almost all midfield players have offered f**k all in the last while.

Also, on a more general note, the fact Neilson rifled into the squad wouldnt have helped morale much. Its not a group of players who have coped well under pressure and this sort of attitude is what hes now left with.

Im not saying he was factually inaccurate but it looks like its backfired big time with a good lot of the squad barely turning up. Aird being a prime example.

2 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

After watching the Ayr game i think he's not the only one who can be accused of not caring.

Id be playing Aird simply for the odd cross and free kick. Its massively more than the combined contributions of McMullan and King. 

Id also suggest that all the wingers in the squad offer little to no protection either and id go as far to say almost all midfield players have offered f**k all in the last while.

Also, on a more general note, the fact Neilson rifled into the squad wouldnt have helped morale much. Its not a group of players who have coped well under pressure and this sort of attitude is what hes now left with.

Im not saying he was factually inaccurate but it looks like its backfired big time with a good lot of the squad barely turning up. Aird being a prime example.

McMullan definitely offers more than Aird tracking back, so does King to a lesser degree.  Saying that they are all as bad as each other is just incorrect.

SA is spot on, Aird is as lazy as f**k.  If he won’t work on that the Neilson is right to drop him.  On this the player is 100% to blame and that’s unfortunate as he has a lot to offer.

Not critical enough of Neilson, too critical of Safranko.  I don’t think the latter could have done anything more with the complete lack of service; forced to drop back and try to create things for himself.  A complete waste of our biggest goal threat.
Other than that a very well observed piece.

I think he’s actually bang on for both. I’m Safrankos biggest fan but the other night there were a few times he tried to be overly cute with one touch flicks and rushed passes when he needed to hold the ball up.he also didn’t win as many balls as he usually does.
That said, obviously the formation and performance of the players behind him did him no favours and it was a baffling decision to take him off.

8 minutes ago, dregs 83 said:

I think he’s actually bang on for both. I’m Safrankos biggest fan but the other night there were a few times he tried to be overly cute with one touch flicks and rushed passes when he needed to hold the ball up.he also didn’t win as many balls as he usually does.
That said, obviously the formation and performance of the players behind him did him no favours and it was a baffling decision to take him off.

Wrong decisions borne of frustration; frustration that will grow in future games if he’s starved of service.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

Is he actually available for loan or are you suggesting that he should be available for loan? I'd be very disappointed if Neilson has given up on him. He's got his limitations as a winger in that he's not particularly fast and doesn't have a trick to beat his man but he can put in a more dangerous cross from pretty much anywhere in the opposition half than anyone else in the squad can manage from the byline. With Aird and Safranko in the team there's the possibility of a goal out of virtually nothing at any time.

He’s available for loan.  Been offered to other clubs on loan.  Falkirk are keen.