Dundee United 2018/2019

Guest DAVIDB69
If anyone wants to read my thoughts - here

I would agree with most of that we need to go for it from the throat next season, no settling into the season and finding out feet.

No more play offs we need to win the league , however the low goals scored tally needs to change , not confident in that part.

We also need to take all cup competitions seriously , which is something we haven’t been doing, the betfred are not preseason friendlies

Theres no point in sacking neilson. Hes too negative and hesitant but he can get a team out of the championship. As people have pointed out, results have improved dramatically since he came in, even though there's been some stinking performances.

44 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Personally, I think you guys would be mad to sack Neilson.

He took over in the October international break and you've accumulated 54 points from then which matches Ross County.  He's signed a fair few players in January but that market is quite tough as you're invariably having to gamble on players who have issues and it was pretty clear that your squad needed something to even have the chance of going up.You guys got a lot of help even getting to penalties in the first place but the truth is that you were a few kicks away from the top flight.

He's the first competent manager you've had since you've been down IMO. If he's got a full pre-season, I expect him to do much better in a summer market and have a squad that hits 70 points which no one else will get close to. Dundee will obviously be the second biggest wage bill in the league but the squad starts with zero and the new manager comes in and has to start recruitment from scratch so I would be pretty surprised if we even hit 60 points tbh. There's then no one else really obvious who looks like they could sustain a challenge with Inverness and Ayr losing key players and then Dunfermline cutting their cloth, maybe someone has a great summer.

I wish I knew how to bookmark posts.

Some absolute heads gones from people who were singing Neilson and most of the teams praises one week ago.

Remains the case that he inherited a dugshite team and won most points in the league since he came in.

I know mistakes have been made but for f**k sake these were two incredibly tight games with huge amounts on the line and massive amounts of pressure, it’s football, it happens.

If we sack the best performing manager over his tenure in the championship, who’s turned around around the atmosphere in the dressing room and brought thousands of fans back, then who do we bring in next?

Comparing the situation with that of McKinnon and Lazlo is moot, we all know he is a superior manager to both of them and is starting next season with a stronger group of players.

Again, I am not saying he is perfect, or the brand of football has been particularly good, but he’s made us a more solid, cohesive unit and provided a platform upon which we can build next season.

This nonsense about players like Harkes and Connelly being shite in every game- total garbage.

That's it over. Blown it with being too negative and possibly too nervous. The pressure got to them. On to next season.

One thing though if I hear one more person going on about us being a "Premiership club" I'm going to hunt them down!!!!

In all seriousness it's doing my head in. We are heading for our 4th Championship season. How many seasons down here does it take before we are a Championship club? We ceased to be Premiership when we were absolute crap and finished rock bottom. This whole attitude for me is an albatross round our neck.

We have signed players from higher "standard" leagues than the Championship the whole time we have been here.  The attitude of "we're a Premiership club" seems to translate into players playing within themselves as they think they are better than the opposition, treat it as a forgone conclusion and then can't up the pace when required, the opposition teams get riled up by the attitude and are absolutely determined to get one over us. It also seems to create massive pressure that ultimately causes the team to wilt.

For two seasons now we've seen League one winners compete for promotion, in one case Livi got promoted. Both cases with far, far smaller budgets. Why? Pretty much because they built a team. They had players who would give everything on the pitch, play for each other. Other than Shankland, neither had a major standout in any position, but were a sum greater than their parts rather than us who seem to be less than the sum of our parts.

The other thing for me is we need to send a team out to win. This sending them out not too lose as to stop. Give the opposition something to worry about and play with pace, rather than dicking around at the back before aimlessly launching it up the park.

One more thing Sow and Pawlett should never appear again UNTIL fit. Playing unfit players when they are not capable is bad for the team and the individuals confidence.

Edited by Tannadeechee

5 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Sow is a work in progress - let's not forget that he left Hearts in February 2016 and basically hasn't played at a high level since (until he signed for us, he had managed 68 games at 4 clubs in China, the UAE and English lower leagues).  He might well come good once he gets a pre-season done and some proper games under his belt.

How many of his other clubs thought the same? MK Dons fans thought he was part of the medical team he was in the treatment room that often. He has no pace, while I do see a player there Neilson has a major blind spot. If rumours are true we have paid a major (6 figure) fee for Sow and it shows with him played no matter what his form or fitness is. Shouldn't play again until fit. IMHO

46 minutes ago, Accent-Unknown said:

So I'm guessing since Murdoch's gone you c***s needed another boo boy and have chosen Harkes then aye?

Sow or Connolly look  more likely candidates than Harkes imo. I can't remember who said it, but someone in the match thread got it spot on when they compared Connolly to an angry charging Rhino.

As for Harkes, despite being fairly critical of him through most of the play off games, I've generally liked what I've seen in the few game I've managed to see since January. I think he's played a lot more than was expected when he was first signed. I remember reading that the idea was to let him settle into Scottish football in the second half of the season with an eye to seeing the best of him next season. I guess he's wound up playing as much as he has due to Fyvie never reaching his pre-injury state and Gomis not being up to Scottish Championship level football anymore.

Edited by captainkev

Just now, captainkev said:

Connolly looks a more likely candidate than Harkes imo. I can't remember who said it, but someone in the match thread got it spot on when they compared him to an angry charging Rhino.

As for Harkes, despite being fairly critical of him through most of the play off games, I've generally liked what I've seen in the few game I've managed to see since January. I think he's played a lot more than was expected when he was first signed. I remember reading that the idea was to let him settle into Scottish football in the second half of the season with an eye to seeing the best of him next season. I guess he's wound up playing as much as he has due to Fyvie never reaching his pre-injury state and Gomis not being up to Scottish Championship level football anymore.

My point was less about the actual quality of the player and more about fans singling some random player out for unfair criticism. Murdoch wasn't great but people treated him as the single cause of all human suffering on earth. 

18 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Squad-wise, we need ANOTHER overhaul.

There won't be. At Q&A Neilson stated he wanted 5 players, "could be 4, could be 6 depends on budget, but I want 5".

Mark Ogren, I think it was , said the investment in January was to avoid having start again and gel a brand new squad. Simply not happening at all.

39 minutes ago, Dirty Arab 83 said:

I still think Sow is a prospect, he was thrown in unfit due to other players injuries, given a good pre season I think he will do the business

As I've said can see a player there. But he hasn't been properly fit for goodness knows how long. His pace has gone, we can clearly see that, but the ability you can see in flashes. It can't be doing his confidence much help playing while unfit though, same for Pawlett. Get them fit then play them. Until then play those that are fit and showing form.

Edited by Tannadeechee

Agree with all that's been said about Neilson. Aye he's overly negative but he's done great compared to the last two and I don't think it'll do us any favours chopping and changing managers. I'd be more than happy to see him take next season in it's entirety.

If we don't get promoted next season I'll fall for his head though. 

Just now, Dee Man said:

Is it true your entire squad is contracted to at least next season apart from Safranko?

Pretty much because we released all the players who's contracts would've been up in the summer before the play-offs (Nesbitt, Fyvie, Murdoch, King etc.)

2 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

There won't be. At Q&A Neilson stated he wanted 5 players, "could be 4, could be 6 depends on budget, but I want 5".

Mark Ogren, I think it was , said the investment in January was to avoid having start again and gel a brand new squad. Simply not happening at all.

Image result for mr burns excellent gif