Dundee United 2018/2019

20 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Surely Safranko and Clark up front together at home makes sense. Even if Sow is brought on in the second half for either of them I wouldn't complain as he can hold the play up top fairly well. 

He's not gonna score this season so having him on from the start is pointless

This 100%

We saw the difference Clark made when he came on yesterday and must start with Pav on Friday, as Caley really struggled to deal with him.

Mcmullan on the right gave their left back a torrid time, and Pawlett on the left, with Pav and Clark through the middle has to be the way forward.

Robbie has faith in Sow but strong as he is he just looks too slow at the moment and lacks confidence, and banging in a few against Brechin in the Beftfred next season could be the cure for this.

The pressure of having to score in the playoffs definitely is not.

Thought Sow was decent last night and had the beating of Donaldson for the most part, particularly in the first half. 

Neilson is a very cautious and defensive oriented manager, possibly stemming from the fact he was a defender himself.

He sets us up well and letting the ICT centre backs have the ball a lot in the first half was actually quite a good strategy as they have no ball playing quality there so were liable to just boot the ball straight out the park a lot of the time.

He makes us hard to beat which is reflected in the fact we only lost two league games after the January window shut but I think in the second half we probably had the chance to go for it a bit more and try to kill the tie off.

I’m slightly worried that he might set us up too defensively on Friday when a goal in the first 10/15 minutes would almost definitely put it to bed, especially if key players are going to be missing. 

Sow might come good if he stays with us, I hope he does, but as things stand it’s as if Neilson feels he needs to justify bringing him to Tannadice.

Surely there must be other folk at the club who are looking at what Neilson’s doing with regards to Safranko and questioning it.

Agree to an extent with Granny Danger, in that I don't have blind faith in Robbie Neilson. He's clearly had better results than recent managerial choices, yet that's not really a comparison I want to be making. Some of the players he has brought in have been abject failures, and for others the jury is out.

He's also, like many Scottish managers, stuck in a tactical vacuum, and further, can appear very stubborn when his tactics aren't working.

Through desperation, football fans often view any sort of an improvement as a great leap forward, but we aren't in any shape or form close to being a good side presently.

Best option with Sow at the moment is bringing him on with 20-25 to go to hold the ball up. Games slow down by that point and he may be gifted some opportunities.

Until next season we should go with Pav and Clark. After a good pre season I think Sow will be good for us.

Agree with the points made about Sow. There's definitely a very decent Scot Prem level player there. A good pre season and some goals early doors will do wonders for him regardless of which league United are in next season. 

Tbh to have 3 strikers of different types at the club of the level we've got, we should be scoring more it's as others have said the more overly defensive tactics used by Neilson that is hindering the team a bit. 

Still though, after the last few managers we can't complain about improvement so much and I think Neilson deserves a bit more praise for what he's done. Aye there's better out there but fans of United need to be a bit more realistic about the level the team is operating at all things told. 

1 hour ago, NEFarab said:

Thought Sow was decent last night and had the beating of Donaldson for the most part, particularly in the first half. 

Neilson is a very cautious and defensive oriented manager, possibly stemming from the fact he was a defender himself.

He sets us up well and letting the ICT centre backs have the ball a lot in the first half was actually quite a good strategy as they have no ball playing quality there so were liable to just boot the ball straight out the park a lot of the time.

He makes us hard to beat which is reflected in the fact we only lost two league games after the January window shut but I think in the second half we probably had the chance to go for it a bit more and try to kill the tie off.

I’m slightly worried that he might set us up too defensively on Friday when a goal in the first 10/15 minutes would almost definitely put it to bed, especially if key players are going to be missing. 

Even then one was the meaningless final game at Morton where neither team had anything to play for and changes was made to the line up as a result. 

2 minutes ago, CaspianChris said:

Even then one was the meaningless final game at Morton where neither team had anything to play for and changes was made to the line up as a result. 

It was three games, tbf. Partick, Queens and then that final game at Morton.

9 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Wanted to forget that Queens game at Tannadice, their first win in eight games as well how embarrassing. 

9 minutes ago, CaspianChris said:

Wanted to forget that Queens game at Tannadice, their first win in eight games as well how embarrassing. 

If we hadn't lost that game, Falkirk wouldn't have been relegated automatically.

It was definitely for the greater good

3 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Sorry, that’s my bad. 

Even though I was there I’d erased the memory of the Morton game.

Edited by NEFarab