Dundee United 2018/2019

As a general rule of thumb my own instinct is to give a manager 18 months or so unless it is an absolute disaster. So far Neilson has been very frustrating at times and it has cost us points but his overall record stands up (at the moment). I am willing to let things play out to see if further improvements can be made (and of course we still have a shot at promotion) but we cannot predict what the owner might think.

19 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

No. I was against the hysterical reaction to not sacking him but then I'm against vilifying people generally. I think I defended Martin, for not sacking him, or at least offered the counter viewpoint. It's easy to throw your hands in the air and say 'f**k it, start again'. There's been definite improvement under Neilson and I'm not convinced we'll be able to find a better replacement.

You said you were in favour of sacking Laszlo now you’re saying you were against the “hysterical reaction” of not sacking him.

Laszlo should have been sacked far earlier than he was and you defended him on here at that time.

There is no indication that Neilson can see what he’s doing wrong.  If we don’t go up and if he’s kept on he will be gone before Christmas.  By then you’ll probably agree he’s not the right guy.

17 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You said you were in favour of sacking Laszlo now you’re saying you were against the “hysterical reaction” of not sacking him.

Laszlo should have been sacked far earlier than he was and you defended him on here at that time.

There is no indication that Neilson can see what he’s doing wrong.  If we don’t go up and if he’s kept on he will be gone before Christmas.  By then you’ll probably agree he’s not the right guy.

Have to agree.

If Laszlo had been punted by this time last year or even earlier, he could’ve had little to no complaints. 

15 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

What?  I said that I disagreed with the hysterical reaction to not sacking him. Hard though it may be to understand but I can accept that some people just have a different opinion to mine. They're not necessarily wrong and neither of us are necessarily idiots (that's Martin and I, incidentally).

2 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

What?  I said that I disagreed with the hysterical reaction to not sacking him. Hard though it may be to understand but I can accept that some people just have a different opinion to mine. They're not necessarily wrong and neither of us are necessarily idiots (that's Martin and I, incidentally).

You don’t appear to be but Martin certainly is. 

Although he is long gone, some of the blame would land at his doorstep if this season doesn’t end in promotion. 

10 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

You’re good at twisting words, I’ll give you that.  The things you say bear no relation to your earlier statement that I corrected you on.

You couldn’t understand why Lazslo had to go when most on here could.

You can’t seem to understand that Neilson has flaws as a manager that he’s had time to address but fails to do so.

Nonetheless this is getting tedious so feel free to have the last word.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You’re good at twisting words, I’ll give you that.  The things you say bear no relation to your earlier statement that I corrected you on.

You couldn’t understand why Lazslo had to go when most on here could.

You can’t seem to understand that Neilson has flaws as a manager that he’s had time to address but fails to do so.

Nonetheless this is getting tedious so feel free to have the last word.

Christ, Granny, you can't even paraphrase me accurately. Rest assured I'll let you have the last word if you ever manage to correct me on something.

I think as united fans you need to accept that while living within your means you’re going to be a top of the championship/lower half of the Premiership outfit. Some seasons you’ll excel and maybe get a top 6 finish, other seasons you’ll do poorly and fail in the play-offs. Your glory days are gone, I’m afraid.

I’m looking forward to next seaon’s derbies [emoji7][emoji7]

39 minutes ago, Daydream said:

I think as united fans you need to accept that while living within your means you’re going to be a top of the championship/lower half of the Premiership outfit. Some seasons you’ll excel and maybe get a top 6 finish, other seasons you’ll do poorly and fail in the play-offs. Your glory days are gone, I’m afraid.

I’m looking forward to next seaon’s derbies emoji7.pngemoji7.png

Not sure I agree with that. We've no divine right to be in the top six each year if we were in the Premiership. However, run properly and living within our means, then we should be capable of challenging for it consistently and potentially looking to be competing to finish best of the rest on particularly good years.

Both the Dundee clubs should be capable of that given our fanbases, but we're seriously underperforming. In our case, the direction behind the scenes has grown gradually more shambolic in the years since Levein's departure and the early Houston seasons. 

Edited by captainkev

3 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

No. I was against the hysterical reaction to not sacking him but then I'm against vilifying people generally. I think I defended Martin, for not sacking him, or at least offered the counter viewpoint. It's easy to throw your hands in the air and say 'f**k it, start again'. There's been definite improvement under Neilson and I'm not convinced we'll be able to find a better replacement.

You definitely weren't alone in that. I think I tried to argue along a similar line in the summer; that I respected where Martin was coming from in trying to bring a bit of stability on the managerial side of things by not sacking another manager so soon.

While the intention was fine for me, like most I was concerned that Lazslo really was not the right man to be offering that extra time to.

Unfortunately that quickly proved to be the case, but I at least tried to be on board and supportive over the summer in the hope Lazslo would prove me wrong.

On 4/4/2019 at 18:39, stumigoo said:

The form of Reynolds has been a bit up and down but the entire team are guilty of that. I am pleased we have signed him though, he is an experienced player and we need stability at the back. I'm very surprised with a three-year deal though, I thought 2 years would have been a maximum.

3 years is crazy at this stage of his career; I hope there is provision for us ending it earlier if he does not play...

On 4/5/2019 at 18:19, stewartyftd1 said:

Sow injured again...

I know that Neilson knows him well from his times at Hearts and MK Dons, and must rate him highly, but surely his level of absence was predictable when he was signed in January?  I don't think that we have the squad in place to afford to carry a potential "star" who plays 1 game a month...

15 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

If we get promoted Neilson deserves the job.  If not he should be punted.

As I did a month ago, I still disagree with this. 

If we lose in the playoffs, we have more chance of being promoted next season with Neilson in charge than: (i) paying to sack him and his coaching staff; (ii) spending time to recruit another manager (who may or may not be better - and history would suggest there is more chance of the latter than the former); (iii) paying off Neilson's squad members that are not liked by the new manager; and (iv) funding a squad liked by the new manager (which players may or may not be better - and history would suggest there is more chance of the latter than the former). 

Those are big steps, and even top clubs don't excel in them - our track record shows that we can mess them up spectacularly. 

9 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I don't want to put words in  the mouth of @Pull My Strings, however his stance appears to be similar to a number of Arabs (myself included): Laszlo should have been sacked in the summer or should have been allowed some time to work with his squad.   

The worst thing that we could have done was give him the finances to build his squad then sack him after a handful of games, leaving us with a squad of duds... which is precisely what we did.

Mike Martin was like Stephen Thompson (but actually cared). What I mean by that is Thompson didn't, by the end anyway, care at all about the operation of the club and just left others to it whilst having no footballing knowledge or decision making skills. With Martin you had someone who tried really hard to make improvements and did seem to genuinely care about the club and in making things better. Unfortunately he suffered from the same problems Thompson did - lack of expertise and stubbornness. The principal of giving Laszlo time, money and control was absolutely fine, the unfortunate bit was Laszlo being an unhinged maniac who alienated the players and fans (plus signed a huge amount of dross).

Anyway, that is all in the past.

USA! USA! USA!

Laslo shouldnt have been kept after the Livi game. Mike Martin was just as much of a lunatic as Laszlo for allowing him to build a squad. 

Mike Martin did care - but he was fucking clueless and his decision doomed us down here for at least another season.

End of story.

Guest DAVIDB69

18th/19th May weekend looks massive we will likely have the second leg of our play off semi at tannadice on Sunday 19th if we finish second.

One day after the dees meet st mirren at dens , hopefully being up for a two legged game against st mirren

20 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

18th/19th May weekend looks massive we will likely have the second leg of our play off semi at tannadice on Sunday 19th if we finish second.

One day after the dees meet st mirren at dens , hopefully being up for a two legged game against st mirren

Getting to the play off final and facing St Mirren is the best realistic option.  I’m not saying we would definitely go up but it would be our best chance.

Getting to the final will still be a tough ask.