Dundee United 2018/2019

Another very encouraging result last night; and the lead is down to 2 points (3 if you factor in the goal difference). 

It is still a huge ask for County to slip up as many times as we need them to, but fair play to the team for really putting the pressure on them.   It means that, even if County beat Alloa at the weekend, their next two games, a highland derby away to Inverness then home to us, are massive.  A couple of weeks ago it looked like they might have the league wrapped up by now!

Now for DUFC to gift Queens their first win since 12 January...

52 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

As if this is actually happening. :o

I am not allowing even the slightest flicker of hope.  

Spoiler

However if you’re going to do any more betting please bet against us.  :lol:

7 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

As if this is actually happening. :o

Yeah, forgot to get in touch to thank you for cashing in your bet....

We haven’t looked back since......

Now we have to just see if it is too little too late.

On another note, as Joe has said, if we can get through and win on Saturday, that would be 12 points out of 12 in 4 games in 11 days which would be a great achievement.

Following that, we have the massive game against County, who will be hopefully involved in a battle on Tuesday while our lads have their feet up, and be playing their 3rd game in 7 days, and after that, we have Ayr, who’s squad is pretty thin, and will be playing their 5th game in 14 days, which gives us a good chance assuming they are likely to be fucking knackered by then.

Fingers crossed we can win on Saturday to keep the pressure on.

Notice to other Scottish Championship clubs.

Lost your last seven games?  Confidence rock bottom?  Can’t buy a point?

Come along to Tannadice Park!

Despite (supposedly) aiming for a title win and automatic promotion.  We will restore your confidence with a win.

Disclaimer:  Please don’t eat the pies.

I’m less angry at the result than some off the absolute weapons on Facebook and Twitter, it actually makes my blood boil.
By no means am I saying the players are beyond criticism, or that I wouldn’t like to see the back of some of them, but the levels of reactionary criticism directed at some of them off the back of 9 points from 12, in under 2 weeks, where we were unlucky not to come away with at least a point today is quite pathetic.
Safranko especially, I too wish his conversion rate was better, but when I think of some of the absolute shysters who have been through our club in the last few years, I despair at how much some of our fans under appreciate the many many things he does in our matches other than put the ball in the net.

10 hours ago, dregs 83 said:

I’m less angry at the result than some off the absolute weapons on Facebook and Twitter, it actually makes my blood boil.
By no means am I saying the players are beyond criticism, or that I wouldn’t like to see the back of some of them, but the levels of reactionary criticism directed at some of them off the back of 9 points from 12, in under 2 weeks, where we were unlucky not to come away with at least a point today is quite pathetic.
Safranko especially, I too wish his conversion rate was better, but when I think of some of the absolute shysters who have been through our club in the last few years, I despair at how much some of our fans under appreciate the many many things he does in our matches other than put the ball in the net.

5 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Folk on social media need to calm the f**k down. We played absolutely fine today, sometimes it doesn't go your way.

I left yesterday not angry as such but probably a bit MyPa'd more than anything else. Just totally deflated after playing pretty well but wasting such a huge opportunity.

On 3/27/2019 at 10:00, arab_joe said:

Now for DUFC to gift Queens their first win since 12 January...

Such an incredibly predictable missed opportunity.   To think, we could be sitting top of the league with County facing two huge games  (and having dented confidence off the back of a loss to Alloa)...

The maximum number of points that we can now achieve is 70 (and, let's be honest, we will be lucky to get close to that number - we have not won 5 games on the bounce all season).  County have 7 games left, with only 13 to reach that (and, with their superior goal difference, 13 is all that they will need) and make it mathematical.  They still face two tough games this week, don't get me wrong, but they can now afford to lose both - our loss to Queens was worse for us than theirs to Alloa was for them.

6 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I left yesterday not angry as such but probably a bit MyPa'd more than anything else.

MyPa'd.  The very worst of all the bad feelings that one can have when leaving Tannadice.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/859661/sporting-director-tony-asghars-son-adam-appointed-senior-academy-head-coach-at-dundee-united/

I see that Asghar has appointed his son to a role at the academy.  Does anyone know anything about him?  Can't help but feel it is quite a coincidence that he was the best person available at the exact moment we needed him...

7 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Folk on social media need to calm the f**k down. We played absolutely fine today, sometimes it doesn't go your way.

This 100%

If we play appallingly, I am perfectly comfortable to come on here and say so; however this wasn’t the case yesterday.

I reckon that the only thing worse than supporting United, must be playing for them, as unless we win every game, folk get right on their cases and put the boot in. I am fine with this if it is deserved (as has been the case often this season) however yesterday just wasn’t our day, which sometimes happens in football.

Also, in our 4th game in 10 days, we came up against a fully rested and motivated Queens squad, who knew that if they didn’t get a result, they could be sucked right back into the shit, and they played accordingly.

I am as disappointed as the next Arab at the missed opportunity, however, that’s County lost their last 2 league games, so shows that there is still a chance to make up the ground before the end. Next Friday is must win though.

Finally, yesteray’s match was summed up perfectly by an elderly gent sitting in front of me, when (after the umpteenth ball flashed across the goal without takers) he said in utter exasperation

”An’ folk ask whe eh tak a drink!!!!!!”

Well said. At least that is something that I can smile about from yesterday.

I actually thought that the crowd at the match stayed behind the team for 95% of the second half. The reaction at the end was a bit of booing but mainly shock and people around me just walking off rather than shouting or having a go.

The reaction online is always different and more vociferous but it reflects such a small percentage of our fan base and I would hazard a guess (with Facebook groups in particular) that many of them don’t actually go to the games or don’t really ‘get’ football in a sensible way.

In the alternate universe we expected from yesterday both United and County would have won their games and we would have been in the same position. As I said on the match thread it was the nature of the story that unfolded yesterday that left me scunnered.

I'm so glad I've never bothered with any of the United groups on Facebook. 
I can't be dealing with utter spangles that likely inhabit them. 
Theyve been quite a horrendous read to be honest.

Ps whats happening with your work mate?

3 hours ago, arab_joe said:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/859661/sporting-director-tony-asghars-son-adam-appointed-senior-academy-head-coach-at-dundee-united/

I see that Asghar has appointed his son to a role at the academy.  Does anyone know anything about him? 

He spent a season as a player with Alloa but only started 1 game. And that game was the night we beat Rangers 3-2. As such, good guy.