Dundee United 2018/2019

14 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Eta i actually dont mind RN. Liked him as a player when with us and, obviously, would like him to do well. Im not having a go at him because i dislike him for any reason.

Yeah, none of this is about personal animus.  Neilson seems a decent guy and equally I was disappointed that McKinnon couldn’t do it for us.

Never liked McNamara, and really disliked him by the end of his United reign and as for Laszlo...  However I’d be happy if Neilson could turn it around and remain at Tannadice.

Guest DAVIDB69

Didn’t realise we had won away from home once since last November

County could go 14 clear on Friday title is gone , although if they did slip up and we beat dunfermline then Ross county could be back to 6 points , realistically we may well be about 17 behind

9 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Dreaming of happier times, I watched this last night... what a time to be alive! 

Buaben made Stewart look like an amateur.  Such a good team that Craig Conway couldn't get a start.

That was a tremendous game. Swanson was amazing too if i remember correctly.

Just a pity that wasnt the last time a Csaba team lost at Tannadice...

17 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

County could go 14 clear on Friday title is gone , although if they did slip up and we beat dunfermline then Ross county could be back to 6 points , realistically we may well be about 17 behind

Maths is not my strongest suit, but: if County win and we lose - 14 points; and if County lose and we win - 8 points.  Bearing in mind that there are only 8 matches remaining (after this weekend), even 8 points would be too many to chase - Ross County have only lost 4 games all season and we would need them to lose about that many before the end of the season.  

17 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

That was a tremendous game. Swanson was amazing too if i remember correctly.

Agreed on both counts.  First game of the season on a warm August evening - you can't beat it.

Swanson, Robertson, Buaben and Gomis were the midfield four at the start - Conway came on for Swanson after he had been hacked down about a dozen times.  That's an incredible five - worth more than our entire squad at the moment. 

Actually, I might just re-watch games from the Levein/Houston/early McNamara era for the next couple of months; far more enjoyable than living in the present.

Guest DAVIDB69
Agreed on both counts.  First game of the season on a warm August evening - you can't beat it.
Swanson, Robertson, Buaben and Gomis were the midfield four at the start - Conway came on for Swanson after he had been hacked down about a dozen times.  That's an incredible five - worth more than our entire squad at the moment. 
Actually, I might just re-watch games from the Levein/Houston/early McNamara era for the next couple of months; far more enjoyable than living in the present.

Sorry it’s my maths I meant to say 12 if a draw , then 9 if we beat Dunfermline , forgetting to add beating county them next Tuesday taking it to 6.

Don’t see any of that happening though

4 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Maths is not my strongest suit, but: if County win and we lose - 14 points; and if County lose and we win - 8 points.  Bearing in mind that there are only 8 matches remaining (after this weekend), even 8 points would be too many to chase - Ross County have only lost 4 games all season and we would need them to lose about that many before the end of the season.  

Ach, if we are 8 points behind after Saturday, we still have to play Ross County twice, beat them twice it's 2 points (well, given the goal difference, effectively 3)

A lot of ifs there, I grant you. It won't happen.

14 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Help me out here.

I've noticed a majority of my friends who support Dundee United also like liverpool , this is more or less all of them.

Is their a connection?

Other than Andy Robertson, can't think of one tbh. I can't stand Liverpool fwiw

40 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

I easy have 12/13 lads who do and their ages with myself ( 30s) . Maybe reading way to much into it but dont know any of my mates who are Dundee fans who like liverpool .

Did they only become Liverpool fans this season?  I guess they want to have some hope of picking up a title, or at least runners-up.  

1 hour ago, G_Man1985 said:

I easy have 12/13 lads who do and their ages with myself ( 30s) . Maybe reading way to much into it but dont know any of my mates who are Dundee fans who like liverpool .

It goes back to the 80s, when United and Liverpool were the top teams in Europe.

Help me out here.

I've noticed a majority of my friends who support Dundee United also like liverpool , this is more or less all of them.

Is their a connection?

Arabs will always have a soft spot for Liverpool since they pumped those cheating b*****ds Roma after they cheated their way past us.

4 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Help me out here.

Is their a connection?

I’ve only took an interest in Liverpool since Robertson broke into the side and will now watch them on TV whenever I can.  I’d love to see them win the title but don’t think they will.

Mind you if both they and Barca get through to the CL semis I’ll want Barca to win.

4 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Help me out here.

Is their a connection?

I've noticed it too but I must say I really dislike Liverpool. Unfortunately a couple of years ago they put me in an awkward position because they appointed Klopp, who I think is brilliant, and signed Robertson who is someone I really admire in terms of his career and progression. 

Why so much dislike on here for Liverpool?

I 'm admittedly pretty long in the tooth now but some of my happiest football memories have involved Liverpool players with Scottish roots. See here : 

https://metro.co.uk/2013/11/30/remembering-liverpools-scottish-legends-from-kenny-dalglish-to-matt-busby-4208162/

6 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Why so much dislike on here for Liverpool?

I 'm admittedly pretty long in the tooth now but some of my happiest football memories have involved Liverpool players with Scottish roots. See here : 

https://metro.co.uk/2013/11/30/remembering-liverpools-scottish-legends-from-kenny-dalglish-to-matt-busby-4208162/

I'm not 100% sure why I don't like them so much. I did go through a spell of really liking Everton for a few years, helped along by....

Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 17.04.29.png

2 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I'm not 100% sure why I don't like them so much. I did go through a spell of really liking Everton for a few years, helped along by.......

Big Dunc was a class act.

One of my favourite stories about him was the time he got broken into but managed to catch the guy in the act, and gave him a pretty good doing.

It was shortly after that he was getting a new alarm installed, and accidently managed to set it off. He phoned the alarm company who told him to enter the default password of 1 2 3 4. Hold on a minute, says the big man, I'll just get a pen and write that down!