Dundee United 2018/2019

11 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Here are some thoughts on yesterday and the overall picture in terms of how the team are performing....Link

Decent read from a United perspective but for a poor, poor team there isn't one player in that starting eleven I'd be desperate to have at Firhill. Agree that Stanton and Safranko were the best on show when they came on. 

Harkes certainly seems to have something about him but would surely be better playing alongside Fyvie than Butcher?

Sow created a couple of chances then got injured somehow.

Fyvie and Stanton  ran the show on your previous visit to Firhill. Strange that they have almost disappeared off the radar since then.

Are Connolly and Reynolds that much of an upgrade on Frans ( i appreciate hes injured at the moment) and the North African lad signed earlier in the season?

Thistle certainly set-up to not get beat and we constantly gave the ball back in the first half a bit like our game with Hearts. The difference was Scott McDonald who managed to make a nuisance of himself despite a lack of support. Best player on the park yesterday imo.

We didn't play that well either yesterday and either club could have nicked it at the death. Obviously I'm glad Thistle managed it thanks to two if Caldwell's subs linking up to great effect.

Certainly a near fatal blow to United's title hopes. In recent weeks I've seen County, Dunfetmline and ICT and they've all played to a better standard than United (and Thistle) managed yesterday.

IMG_1488.jpg
I’d like to see us use this formation on Saturday.
Robson and Seaman have looked their best when going forward and their end product can’t be much worse than McMullan or Nebitts was on Saturday.
I’m also desperate to see Smith in an actual number 10 role.
Leaves us a bit light on defensive cover but I just want to see some fucking goals.

11 minutes ago, dregs 83 said:

IMG_1488.jpg
I’d like to see us use this formation on Saturday.
Robson and Seaman have looked their best when going forward and their end product can’t be much worse than McMullan or Nebitts was on Saturday.
I’m also desperate to see Smith in an actual number 10 role.
Leaves us a bit light on defensive cover but I just want to see some fucking goals.

On the face of it a bit defensive but maybe it would give Seaman and Robson even more attacking freedom; the attacking part of Robson’s game is looking better than the defensive one.

I’d maybe swap Harkes for Stanton or find some other formation to include him; it would be a travesty not to give him a start given his contribution yesterday.

On the face of it a bit defensive but maybe it would give Seaman and Robson even more attacking freedom; the attacking part of Robson’s game is looking better than the defensive one.
I’d maybe swap Harkes for Stanton or find some other formation to include him; it would be a travesty not to give him a start given his contribution yesterday.

Yeh I imagined it being the case that the two of them would overlap and serve as wingbacks, I think they are fit enough to do it and if one of them started flagging you could change the formation up around 60 mins.
I agree with you on Stanton, he was our best player yesterday, I would have him as the number 10, but would like to see Smith there for one game at least to see if he could grasp his opportunity, and I think Harkes has done enough so far not to be dropped out yet.
Butcher was dire yesterday but we still need some muscle in the middle.

The diamond with 2 up top seems to be our best option.  Although it is a bit narrow, our delivery from the wide areas is fucking atrocious anyway so  we arent exactly sacrificing much.

----------Clark------Safranko-----------

----------------Smith-----------------------

------Pawlett-------------Harkes--------

--------------Butcher--------------------

--Robson--Connolly--Reynolds--Seaman

23 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

1. If Neilson gets us promoted he should be here next season.

2. If Neilson changes the system, as and when required, and maximises the talents of the players we have he should be here next season, promotion or not.

3. If Neilson persists with 4-2-3-1 and we don’t get promoted he should be punted.

I disagree. 

It would be absolute madness to sack yet another manager so soon into his tenure.  He has only had one transfer window to bring on/get rid of the players that he rates/hates.  He deserves, at the very least, one full season (i.e. the upcoming season) to show what he can do.  If there is no progress by May 2020 then it should be discussed, but being a "sacking club" has not helped us at all in the past decade and I can't see that changing any time soon.   

To quote my learned friend @stumigoo:

The manager inherited an absolute mess and Ogren’s team have arrived at a club with an infrastructure on its knees. Things will take time.

12 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Here are some thoughts on yesterday and the overall picture in terms of how the team are performing....Link

Thanks for posting.  Not necessarily a fun read, but for those of us stuck abroad it is good to hear an honest appraisal!

What a week to be an Arab: pumped out of the Scottish Cup by Coll Donaldson; then pumped out of the Championship by Scott MacDonald... both of whom we almost pushed into retirement and could not get even close to the best out of.  There's a story in there somewhere. 

42 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

I disagree. 

It would be absolute madness to sack yet another manager so soon into his tenure.  He has only had one transfer window to bring on/get rid of the players that he rates/hates.  He deserves, at the very least, one full season (i.e. the upcoming season) to show what he can do.  If there is no progress by May 2020 then it should be discussed, but being a "sacking club" has not helped us at all in the past decade and I can't see that changing any time soon.   

The manager inherited an absolute mess and Ogren’s team have arrived at a club with an infrastructure on its knees. Things will take time.

I agree with the idea that a sacking club is not a great thing however i'd argue that the manager hasn't shown enough himself to be given that time.

We kept McKinnon on too long. He should have been punted after the Hamilton playoff.

We kept Laszlo too long. He should have been punted at the end of the first season he was here. And should never have been given such a long contract.

We'll be repeating the same mistake if we keep Robbie on if he dosent improve his performances. Hes rigidly stuck to a formation that isnt working and its horrible to watch.

Hes brought in an entire first team, some of which should be cruising this league eg. Reynolds, Connelly and Pawlett. Add that to Cammy Smith who won this league last season with St. Mirren, Pavol Safranko who is excellent for this level and Nicky Clark who is a good player at this level too, you should begin to see why people are calling for his head if we dont go up.

If we were playing great stuff and losing it would be an improvement. He could be given the excuse of things not quite gelling yet, maybe unlucky too.

If we were shit festing wins every week at least we would be winning. 

We're doing the losing from the first part and the shit festing from the second part. Its not much better than Laszlo. 

We're realistically out of the running for the league with 9 games to go and the new owners will be looking at the money they've spent and rightly be expecting better. If we dont go up he'll be away.

1 hour ago, arab_joe said:

I disagree. 

The only madness is keeping a manager who cannot see what is in front of him.  McNamara, McKinnon and Laszlo should all have been punted sooner; we cannot make the same mistake with Neilson.

If you read my post I am clear about the circumstances under which he should go.  Anyone who watches our games must recognise that one up front isn’t working.  The only person who can change this is Neilson and if he doesn’t then he should be gone.  Unless, of course, we somehow get promoted, but I cannot see that if we persevere with the current system.

ETA should have read mistergrolsch’s post before I replied then I could just have said “^^^^this”.

Edited by Granny Danger

53 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I've just had to cash out my £10 6/1 bet on you guys to win the title. Managed to get £8.75 back, which was respectable damage limitation.

Useless b*****ds.

kpwhVcz.gif

Thanks for confirming this. Neilson can tell the guys to get the finger out now.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

At what point do you lot enter an official banter period? Has it happened already? How ling might it last?

These are all questions that you guys are better placed to answer than the rest of us.

Thoughts?

We are indeed howling.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Nah, likely outcome now is you beating us in the playoffs for maximum agony.

^^^^ thinks St Mirren will get to the playoffs.  :lol:

Spoiler

Thinks United will get to the playoffs.  :lol::unsure2:

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

At what point do you lot enter an official banter period? Has it happened already? How ling might it last?

These are all questions that you guys are better placed to answer than the rest of us.

Thoughts?

I'd say our banter period began with selling Armstrong on deadline day January 2015, carrying on through to the end of our relegation season. Some might argue that we're still in it, given how morale sappingly crap we continue to be. But while we've frequently embarrassed ourselves since dropping down a division, the 2015/16 hasn't been surpassed in terms of colossal failure across almost all levels of the club.

Having your relegation confirmed by your rivals at their own ground should only be gutting. When it also feels like an entirely appropriate ending for the shambles that preceded it, then you've fucked up to a hilariously bad degree.

17 minutes ago, captainkev said:

I'd say our banter period began with selling Armstrong on deadline day January 2015, carrying on through to the end of our relegation season. Some might argue that we're still in it, given how morale sappingly crap we continue to be. But while we've frequently embarrassed ourselves since dropping down a division, the 2015/16 hasn't been surpassed in terms of colossal failure across almost all levels of the club.

Having your relegation confirmed by your rivals at their own ground should only be gutting. When it also feels like an entirely appropriate ending for the shambles that preceded it, then you've fucked up to a hilariously bad degree.

I feel the banter period isnt finished yet.

We've still to be papped out of the playoffs this season and have the managerial merry-go-round, the appointment of John Hughes and the signing of a random ex player that will lead to some fans combusting out of sheer rage all over the internet.