Dundee United 2018/2019

9 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Tbf though we are where we are right now and getting to the play off final would be a great achievement in itself because of how our season has went. 

I don't know about that tbh. At the start of the season the only team in the league that still could come close to competing with us on a budgetary level would have been County. We took way too long to get rid of Laszlo, but we also spent big in January (relative to the league we're in) thanks to the new owner's cash input.

Despite these advantages, our title chances are dead in the water by March. Again. Our two games against County still ahead are now must wins just to hold onto 2nd place. After finishing behind Livi last season, we're now only three points ahead of another newly promoted team; and they've been off-form for a while.

I'm just really struggling to view potentially reaching the play-off finals as an achievement.

27 minutes ago, dregs 83 said:

I’ve tried to be positive the last few weeks but that was honking Thought the signings were universally terrible today and Sow clearly hasn’t been fit since the moment he arrived.
Connelly is starting to piss me right off, loves a self indulgent interview on arabzone and to scream at his teammates but he was absolutely bitched by McDonald all game and the number of times he let the ball bounce only for someone to turn him or have the ball end up in behind him was disgraceful.

Connolly and Reynolds today were as bad a centre back pairing as I’ve seen over the last few years.

Connolly and Reynolds today were as bad a centre back pairing as I’ve seen over the last few years.

Utterly hopeless. Went along and sat in with your fans. Jesus you are a quiet bunch that has little confidence in Neilson if the ones around me today are anything to go by.

9 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Did he? It must have been his doppelgänger sitting behind us in the Colin Weir Stand.

Left the dugout area pedant :lol:

3 hours ago, dregs 83 said:

Agreed, I would have bouhenna back in the team.
The fact that McDonald scored a header in the 6 yard box says enough in itself.

To be honest every centre half, in fact, every single defender at the club has been pretty shite.

I fully expect the ones that leave to go on and be Maldini-esque at another club.

Especially when they play against us.

On 3/8/2019 at 10:45, Mark Connolly said:

Various reports that we are willing to pay £1m for Pav.

Easton and Robertson must have been on massive wages if we can now afford this.

Easton and Robertson being sacked by the club is worrying.  I can't imagine that they are on a huge wage, and by all accounts they are good young coaches that know the club very well.

Thinking for even a split second that we might pay £1m for a player is utterly terrifying.   If anything it would show just how totally clueless our new Chairman is.

5 hours ago, CaleyStan said:

County can still chuck this. If they draw with Falkirk and lose to us then United could have a chance to take their lead down to 3 points next Tuesday. It's not done. 

We choke.  When we have been presented chances to close the gap, and there have been a few in the last few months, we have bottled it spectacularly.  The most likely situation is that, by the time we go away to Dunfermline next Saturday, we will be 14 points behind County and have a goal difference about 25 goals worse. 

And by 5pm on Saturday... well Dunfermline have won 5 on the trot so we will likely be 14 points behind County and have a goal difference about 28 goals worse.

Canny See county chucking it, they might drop pints here n there but nowhere near enough to Chuck it. Playoffs are the best anyone can hope for n it’s very nicely highly contested this year. The fact Dunfermline are in the mix just shows the romance of the league nevermind the cup.  Dundee Utd will surely be second but that’s all, county are not bottle merchants, not saying anyone else is but they’ve all bottled their chance to take advantage. 

I cannot see any circumstances by which we can now win the league.  More worryingly, the confidence I recently held about going up through the playoffs is rapidly diminishing.

Neilson is playing a system that is not effective enough and doesn’t even seem to realise when it’s not working.  It’s interesting that he was not in the dugout in the second half when we changed the system and put Partick under a barrage of pressure.

Game after game Safranko is isolated and we are simply not scoring enough goals; we must try the option of two up front with Clark getting the chance to play as an out-and-out striker.

1. If Neilson gets us promoted he should be here next season.

2. If Neilson changes the system, as and when required, and maximises the talents of the players we have he should be here next season, promotion or not.

3. If Neilson persists with 4-2-3-1 and we don’t get promoted he should be punted.

THe first step in addressing a problem is recognising that a problem exists and Neilson’s stubbornness in failing to see the problem might condemn us to another year in the Championship.  Given the backing he has been given from the new owner that is unacceptable.

Edited by Granny Danger

8 hours ago, Dirty Arab 83 said:

You gotta love a post wi " doppelgänger " in the txt emoji51.png now THATS class emoji106.png

That's the Partick Thistle effect :lol:

His next blog will be like an appendix to the Collins dictionary!

We looked a million times better when we went with a diamond midfield and two up top for the last 10 mins or so. Wonder if that was Neilson’s decision or the guy in the dugout.
Hopefully when neilson went to the stand he was able to see how badly "his" formation was performing.

2 hours ago, chazas_ said:

We looked a million times better when we went with a diamond midfield and two up top for the last 10 mins or so. Wonder if that was Neilson’s decision or the guy in the dugout.

Maybe if we had started off like that we wouldn’t needed to worry about losing a last minute goal.