Dundee United 2018/2019

On 01/03/2019 at 12:17, FifeArab said:

IMG_4688.jpg

Nike deal finished. We get to design our own kits from the summer.

On 01/03/2019 at 12:25, Granny Danger said:

Cue dozens of pages from would be fashion experts/designers.

FB_IMG_1551738174446.thumb.jpg.f973c5c4b669a9f5333da5f3d898c083.jpg

39 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

No danger Safranko will be here. Unless his club are willing to write off a few hundred grand and he takes a pay cut i cant see it.

Also, ifld be tying this out next game

Keeper.

Seaman Connolly Reynolds Robson

Pawlett Harkes Butcher McMullan

Clark Safranko

Just go baws out and try to score at least one goal from open play.

If not then

Keeper.

Seaman Connolly Reynolds Robson

Butcher 

Pawlett. Harkes. McMullan 

Safranko Clark

I honestly think if we play 2 up front it will be enough to cause teams enough of a headache to take the pressure off our midfield and defence.

At least it wouldnt be 42.        3.         1.

I’d like to see us play a genuine two up front.  I thought the first couple of games after we brought in the new players that Clark was playing a bit closer to Safranko but we’ve reverted to old ways leaving him starved of service and support.

I'm fucking sick to death of us being total fucking shitebags.

Not once this season when we have been live on the telly have we been anything better than a fucking embarrassment.

As I alluded to yesterday, we'll go out of the playoffs with barely a wimper if we can't sort it out. 

Edited by MacArab

I really don't get why we signed Cammy Smith to play out on the wing, a position he doesn't suit when he was player of the year for the league winners last year playing number 10, and we instead play natural goalscorer Nicky Clark at number 10. Just seems baffling to me.

20 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’d like to see us play a genuine two up front.  I thought the first couple of games after we brought in the new players that Clark was playing a bit closer to Safranko but we’ve reverted to old ways leaving him starved of service and support.

Its not fair on Safranko or Clark. They are too far apart and theres no creativity in the team. Well, they arent showing any as the ball is either at the back or its launched up at Safranko.

Ive been going on and on saying we need a second striker on the park. 4231 is not and has not worked for 4 years other than about 6 games under Mcnafortune. Other than that the football has really been mostly dreadful if we're honest.

Levein and Houston kept it simple. Big solid defence, two spoilers in midfield, two wingers who could cross the ball and beat a man and a big guy for winning the headers and a wee guy feeding off him. Nothing fancy. Put the players in positions that suit them and keep it simple.

The way Neilson is playing is without a game plan, unless its actually to piss about at the back then hoof it up the park after working the ball into an awkward position. Its fucking murder to watch and if it goes on we will most certainly be here for yet another season. If we were creating chances and playing attacking (not necessarily attractive) football id be less worried.

The squad hes built should be good enough to win games in this league with a bit of room to spare. Thats not me being disrespectful to the teams in this league whatsoever, but weve got some players who id expect to be playing in the middle to bottom half of the premiership. Pawlett, Reynolds, Connelly, Clark and Safranko are all guys who i could see being useful players at that level. 

We just arent playing to any of their strengths. Thats whats concerning. Its been going on for weeks and i dont think we're going to see much in the way of change - I hope im wrong.

The three blokes Robbie Nelson brought from MK Dons have been the biggest disappointments to me so far, with Mark Reynolds not far behind. I know there needs to be a settling in period, but I'm wondering about the manager's judgement. Being honest, only the first halves against Morton and St Mirren have been impressive. 

Yesterday's selection left Charlie Seaman and Jamie Robson exposed, while Robbie Neilson seems to want Safranko to be a winger and a striker at the same time.  I'd love to be proven wrong, but that team and the tactics simply aren't good enough to go up.

On 3/3/2019 at 17:25, RandomGuy. said:

Literally nobody cares about the attendances in Scottish football, apart from fans of large, unsuccessful, Scottish clubs.

And Falkirk fans.

And people who want to see football matches with an atmosphere. 

On 3/3/2019 at 21:32, DAVIDB69 said:

Our performances against the better championship sides have been really poor. Even if we get 2nd and one play off game less , you would not be supremely confident seeing off the likes of Inverness again over two games

I don't think I have ever been supremely confident going in to any United game... (probably the closest was when we drew East Stirling in the first round of the Scottish Cup when they were the bottom team of League Two, but even then "supremely confident" would be over-stating things) and definitely would not fancy our chances in the play-offs.  We are, as sad as it is to say it, serious chokers.  

On 3/3/2019 at 22:12, captainkev said:

On top of that, once again a televised game with good home turn out has been met with a pathetic performance, this time with us getting important refereeing decisions going our way too.

I saw on Twitter yesterday that our last televised victory was against Falkirk in the 2017 play-offs.  3 draws and 9 losses since then.

10 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Just feel very deflated, and not for the first time this season. The fans turn out in numbers, the flags are out and the mood is great, then.......

Reminiscent of the feeling after the 2014 Scottish Cup final. 

Salt in the wound to see that ICT have avoided the Old Firm and Aberdeen in the semis!

7 hours ago, captainkev said:

Looking back to 2013, relatively early in McNamara's tenure, when we went out to Celtic in the semi-final of the Scottish cup, I remember being really proud of the team despite the disappointment of losing.

Losing big games but putting on a great show used to be the norm (pretty much every loss to Celtic, 2008 League Cup final,  Slask Wroslaw home, AEK Athens away (my personal favourite) etc.) but we have developed an annoying trend of choking (which started, I think, with the aforementioned 2014 Scottish Cup final and epitomised by the loss to Livingston last season). 

We really need to avoid the play-offs this year...

7 hours ago, MacArab said:

As I alluded to yesterday, we'll go out of the playoffs with barely a wimper if we can't sort it out. 

100%.

6 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Levein and Houston kept it simple. Big solid defence, two spoilers in midfield, two wingers who could cross the ball and beat a man and a big guy for winning the headers and a wee guy feeding off him. Nothing fancy. Put the players in positions that suit them and keep it simple.

I miss the days when we played a back four of four giant centre-backs.  Kovacevic and Dillon at full-back was a master-stroke from Craig Levein.

2 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Losing big games but putting on a great show used to be the norm (pretty much every loss to Celtic, 2008 League Cup final,  Slask Wroslaw home, AEK Athens away (my personal favourite) etc.) but we have developed an annoying trend of choking (which started, I think, with the aforementioned 2014 Scottish Cup final and epitomised by the loss to Livingston last season). 

We really need to avoid the play-offs this year...

100%.

I miss the days when we played a back four of four giant centre-backs.  Kovacevic and Dillon at full-back was a master-stroke from Craig Levein.

Clearly the things we miss are the determination, agression and organisation from the Levien/Houston era. 

Or, basically, testicular fortitude.

Could you imagine Lee Wilkie, Darren Dodds or Andy Webster turning in a performance like that on Sunday? Imagine Conway or Swanson disappearing for 5/10 minuites a time like Smith and Pawlett? Obviously thats why we are where we are. But it all started when Mcnafortune decided players like Gavin Gunning were what we needed.

We've not been able to shake the curse and the only thing we can do realistically is have a sacrificial burning where we make an effigy of the wee c**t and burn it on the centre circle of Tannadice.

3 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Clearly the things we miss are the determination, agression and organisation from the Levien/Houston era. 

Or, basically, testicular fortitude.

Could you imagine Lee Wilkie, Darren Dodds or Andy Webster turning in a performance like that on Sunday? Imagine Conway or Swanson disappearing for 5/10 minuites a time like Smith and Pawlett? Obviously thats why we are where we are. But it all started when Mcnafortune decided players like Gavin Gunning were what we needed.

We've not been able to shake the curse and the only thing we can do realistically is have a sacrificial burning where we make an effigy of the wee c**t and burn it on the centre circle of Tannadice.

Serious rose tinted specs on for this one. It was a recurring theme for both Danny Swanson and Craig Conway to go missing for entire games. Conway at least improved in that regard but he got absolute pelters in his first year or two for being soft as shite and constantly hiding. Swanson likewise was great sometimes but absolutely could not be relied upon. I suspect that's still the case with him. Dods, Conway and Swanson all played in the 7-1 game against Rangers; Wilkie and Conway played in the 5-1 hammering by Falkirk under Brewster; Conway also played in the 5-1 hammering at Tannadice a few months later under Levein.

Houston signed Gunning, incidentally. Then he was re-signed by Mixu. He never played under McNamara.

The problem on Sunday was that the players were mostly shite and couldn't pass the ball to each other. Nothing to do with having big balls, ffs.

Edited by Pull My Strings

5 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Serious rose tinted specs on for this one. It was a recurring theme for both Danny Swanson and Craig Conway to go missing for entire games. Conway at least improved in that regard but he got absolute pelters in his first year or two for being soft as shite and constantly hiding. Swanson likewise was great sometimes but absolutely could not be relied upon. I suspect that's still the case with him. Dods, Conway and Swanson all played in the 7-1 game against Rangers; Wilkie and Conway played in the 5-1 hammering by Falkirk under Brewster; Conway also played in the 5-1 hammering at Tannadice a few months later under Brewster.

Houston signed Gunning, incidentally. The he was re-signed by Mixu. He never played under McNamara.

The problem on Sunday was that the players were mostly shite and couldn't pass the ball to each other. Nothing to do with having big balls, ffs.

oh yes he did!

2 minutes ago, Big Shedboy said:

oh yes he did!

Aye, alright, he might have still been at the club when Houston left. He wasn't signed by McNamara on either occasion.

Edit: of course, he played in that fucking cup final. How could I forget that.

Edited by Pull My Strings

32 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Aye, alright, he might have still been at the club when Houston left. He wasn't signed by McNamara on either occasion.

Edit: of course, he played in that fucking cup final. How could I forget that.

To be fair, most of us try to forget it

11 hours ago, arab_joe said:

I saw on Twitter yesterday that our last televised victory was against Falkirk in the 2017 play-offs.  3 draws and 9 losses since then.

Didn't realise we'd been on TV as much as that in the past couple of years. If true that's a truly stinking record since we beat Falkirk. Makes the prospect of the back to back games against County and Ayr in April particularly concerning now that the BBC is going to be showing them on their Championship channel.

18 minutes ago, captainkev said:

Didn't realise we'd been on TV as much as that in the past couple of years. If true that's a truly stinking record since we beat Falkirk. Makes the prospect of the back to back games against County and Ayr in April particularly concerning now that the BBC is going to be showing them on their Championship channel.

Being on TV didn't help County away to Morton when County were so shite you could smell it just from having BBC Alba on.

27 minutes ago, captainkev said:

I suppose it will make a change from blaming the officials/pitch/weather...

1 hour ago, captainkev said:

Yup. Based on every game we have played this season that has been live on the telly.....

We're fucked.*

* And it'll be P&B Arabs to the slaughter yet again.