Dundee United 2018/2019

On 2/1/2019 at 00:48, Sarto Mutiny said:

This is odd. We're actually having a very good transfer deadline day. Wow

Some really exciting signings - although a few are gambles (with some fairly questionable injury records) there is huge potential in Pawlett, Sow, Harkes, Cammy Smith, Connolly (who cost 1 million as a tennager...) and even Seaman on loan seems a really astute move.  It might take a few weeks to properly gel/get match fit (and from  most accounts, yesterday started well but ended in typically uncomfortable fashion), but hopefully quick enough to make a proper go at winning this league.

On 2/1/2019 at 03:55, Jock Tamson said:

Everyone taking the new owner seriously now?

I stand by my comments a few weeks back - there is no way that he (i) did his homework; and (ii) thinks that he is going to profit from his investment in Dundee United.  Although I'm taking his signings very seriously, and am really impressed by the amount he has thrown at this transfer window, as a natural pessimist (in relation to DUFC, anyway) I still do not really know why this random American has bought into DUFC and am slightly concerned as to our sustainability should we not go up this season (which, being  6 points and 16 goals off the top, is objectively pretty likely)...

On 2/1/2019 at 14:58, Pull My Strings said:

Have you not got Keith Watson playing centre half? 

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I always rated Watson and was sad when we let him go.  I'm not sure we have really had a decent right-back since.

On 2/1/2019 at 15:45, Dirty Arab 83 said:

A slap in the puss for the club if there's not 5,000+ at Tannadice tomorrow emoji968.pngemoji16.pngemoji968.pngemoji16.pngemoji968.png

As above, in relation to the sustainability of our current squad, we really need strong attendances in the final few home games...

If my quick searches are in order, Jamie Robson is now our longest serving player.  An embarrassing state of affairs.  Here's hoping that one (or more) of the dozen incomers last month will go on to have proper, long-term careers at Tannadice!  A huge couple of months for the club coming up, here's hoping for some big results.

1 hour ago, arab_joe said:

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I always rated Watson and was sad when we let him go.  I'm not sure we have really had a decent right-back since.

Not at all. I think most Arabs rated Keith, particularly at full back, but his knees have absolutely gone and he's not a centre half.

On 01/02/2019 at 11:45, Dirty Arab 83 said:

A slap in the puss for the club if there's not 5,000+ at Tannadice tomorrow emoji968.pngemoji16.pngemoji968.pngemoji16.pngemoji968.png

Pretty disappointed with the turnout yesterday, hopefully we will see a steady build up over the next few home games.

I reckon the fans have been pretty loyal since relegation given the shit we’ve had to endure, particularly under Laszlo, but I have noticed long term ST holders around me not renewing.

We need to try to attract back another 1,000 - 1,500 home fans as and when we get back into the to flight.  

54 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Pretty disappointed with the turnout yesterday, hopefully we will see a steady build up over the next few home games.

I reckon the fans have been pretty loyal since relegation given the shit we’ve had to endure, particularly under Laszlo, but I have noticed long term ST holders around me not renewing.

We need to try to attract back another 1,000 - 1,500 home fans as and when we get back into the to flight.  

I think the most fans who've turned away are fed up of a team of utter pish-the-beds with a complete w****r in charge of them. We seem to have addressed these issues mostly.

Fans will come back if/when we start whooping teams left, right and centre. This team, by the looks of yesterday anyway, has that potential.

Couple that with a tight end to the season should see a bigger turnout. Hopefully anyway.

Our remaining league games - 

QoS (A)

Falkirk (A)

Inverness (H)

County (H)

Partick (A)

Dunfermline (A)

Alloa (H)

QoS (H)

County (A)

Ayr (H)

Inverness (A)

Falkirk (H)

Morton (A)

Looking at some of these games from an attendance point of view I'd hope for 6500-7000 at the County game if we are going strong and the same for Ayr at home and then for the Falkirk game, given it is the last home game, maybe 7500 or so if we are in contention for the league.

Points wise I don't know what it will take but maximum from the County games and Ayr game is obviously ideal. With 13 left you are maybe looking at 27-30 points at least?

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Same here, if it was actually as quoted. Maybe it was a mistake, as it looked like a good bit more.

2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Points wise I don't know what it will take but maximum from the County games and Ayr game is obviously ideal. With 13 left you are maybe looking at 27-30 points at least?

I'll be pleasantly surprised if we finish top of the pile: not that I think other sides are so much better than United, simply we have given ourselves too much to do, effectively seven points to make up over 13 games. 

8 minutes ago, stewartyftd1 said:

What was Sow like when he came on? Heard someone say he wasn’t too great.

I wasn’t impressed, that said it was a cameo appearance at a point in the game where we had lost direction.