Dundee United 2018/2019

4 hours ago, Accent-Unknown said:

the last time Butcher played Centre Back was in a three-nil defeat against St. Johnstone while playing for us. he's a centre mid now, and that was where he was at his best with us.

While i agree hes not a great centre half, hes probably better than Frans and Bouhenna imo. Was strong and hard as nails.  Ideally midfield for me too, was just using different combinations of the new players in different formations.

10 minutes ago, dundeeunited83 said:

Benji
Seaman connelly Reynolds booth
Pawlett butcher Stanton nesbitt
Safranko sow

Laidlaw
Bouhenna
Frans
Fyvie
Mcmullan
Clark
Smith

The only thing wrong with that is the lack of FB cover on the bench, otherwise a strong team.

Also would Sow and Safranko compliment each other as a front two?  I don’t know enough about Sow’s style.  Clark would definitely be in his element.

I would be very disappointed if we are not now going to be going two up front.  Maybe not every game but at least as an option.

1 hour ago, Eddie the Eagle said:
1 hour ago, Eddie the Eagle said:
On the bench

Being facetious but I'd also be a bit p*ssed off if I was Cammy

Ach, we've now got proper competition in all but a couple of positions (keeper, left back, arguably right back). If Smith does well then he'll play, if not he'll have to work to get back in the team. Same goes right down the spine of the team where a number of guys have been under-performing but kept their places because there simply hasn't been anything like the same quality on the bench. From the team that has been playing in recent weeks I'd argue that only Bouhenna, Booth and Safranko can really say that they deserve to remain first choice (Booth only because no one has come in to play his position).

For tomorrow, without wishing to make too many changes too soon and taking into account the likely fitness of the new arrivals, I'd go:

Siegrist

Seaman - Bouhenna - Connolly - Booth

McMullan - Fyvie - Butcher - Smith

Safranko - Clark

Subs: Laidlaw, Frans, Reynolds, Pawlett, Stanton, Nesbitt, Sow

That's assuming that Gomis is suspended and that Reynolds, Pawlett and Sow not yet fit enough to start (I think all three are just back from injury). Only leaving Fyvie in there for a bit of consistency but he couldn't complain if dropped. I'd be tempted to put someone else in for McMullan too but I like his work rate and if you're going with a four across the middle you need the wingers to put a shift in. I wouldn't want to leave Harkes out of the squad entirely either. f**k knows though. We're rather spoilt for choice.

36 minutes ago, UnitedLoon63 said:

FairPlay to the owners and Neilson, now we have two strong options in every position. Front line of Sow and Safranko seems very tasty.

Line up on Saturday

Laidlaw
Seaman Bouhenna Reynolds Booth
Butcher
Nesbitt Smith Pawlett
Sow Safranko

I like that but you're asking a lot of Butcher to play centre mid on his own. If you could make it work though, ooooft! Reynolds is just back from a very serious injury so can't see him starting. Connolly's been playing every week, I believe.

Very impressed with the Connolly interview on ArabZone, speaks very, very well about football and comes across as a very honest and professional guy. Could be a difference maker. 
I'm not as negative about Butcher as some have been on social media. I'd imagine he has matured as a player and he should offer us an aggression that we need. Pawlett is undoubtedly a great talent but injury worries and I'm not sure what system or personnel Neilson has in mind.
Pleasing day so far. One more would turn it into a great deadline day.

Usually the Arabzone stuff is regurgitated fluff, but connelly came across fantastically well.
The thing I didn’t realise about butcher is that he got promoted with both burton and millwall.
Still trying to wrap my head around all of this activity.

1 minute ago, dregs 83 said:

Usually the Arabzone stuff is regurgitated fluff, but connelly came across fantastically well.
The thing I didn’t realise about butcher is that he got promoted with both burton and millwall.
Still trying to wrap my head around all of this activity.

I was disappointed when Butcher left the first time. Really thought he had something about him in midfield. Decent feet but also very mobile and very hard. Like a pound store Patrick Vieira. 

5 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I like that but you're asking a lot of Butcher to play centre mid on his own. If you could make it work though, ooooft! Reynolds is just back from a very serious injury so can't see him starting. Connolly's been playing every week, I believe.

Pretty similar to what I was gonna comment. Butcher on his own in midfield I'm not keen on. I think his best pairing would be having Harkes okay alongside him.

14 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Siegrist

McMullan - Fyvie - Butcher - Smith

Safranko - Clark

In fact, that shape's probably all wrong. There's nobody left in the squad who is an out-and-out winger. Pawlett, Nesbitt, Smith and (maybe to a lesser extent) McMullan are probably all comfortable playing in the middle or even up front just off the centre forward. That being said, and considering how much we struggled against Partick's diamond midfield a couple of weeks ago, I'm going with this instead ..

Siegrist

Butcher

Pawlett -------- Fyvie 

Smith

Safranko --- Clark