Dundee United 2018/2019

6 minutes ago, CaspianChris said:

I was pretty much critical of his commitment and work rate permanently in his last 6 months at United and Bitegate was the last straw for me.

Unfortunately that undoes any positives for me and I do not want him back in Tangerine in any circumstance.

I'm with you there for the most part. I wouldn't say Ciftci's increasingly disruptive and tedious behaviour in the last few months of the 14/15 season undoes my largely positive memories of his time at United. It certainly sours it to a degree, but moments like his celebration before scoring at Ibrox or his semi-final winner against Aberdeen are up there with some of my favourite moments as a United supporter.

The hassle that comes with Ciftci just isn't worth it in the long run. Getting Celtic to shell out £1.5m for Nadir was a brilliant bit of business at the time and looked increasingly so as time went by and Ciftci failed to set the heather alight at Parkhead or any of his various loan moves. Re-signing Ciftci at this point would feel more like an attempt at fan pleasing rather than a move that would drastically help the team on the pitch.

Not that it matters of course, this is all hypothetical anyway. This is probably the first transfer window since Ciftci left in 2015 that we've not been tenuously linked with signing him again.

15 hours ago, captainkev said:

In the opening game of the season at Firhill in 13/14? If so then you're not alone. I remember that too, bloody dreadful tackle. I'm pretty sure he made another tackle easily worth of a red card shortly after it as well. It was in our own box towards the end of the game but luckily for us the referee bizarrely let it go. 

Also, if memory serves correctly it was his part in the stramash during the first cup game against Celtic in 14/15 that Paton was amusingly sent off for by mistake.

That said, while he was a bit of a bomb scare in defence, I quite liked Butcher once he was moved into midfield. He brought a good fighting spirit, a bit of dig to the team and wasn't too bad on the ball either. We badly needed him or a player of his ilk in midfield the following year when we got relegated.

Correct.  It was a breakaway and, at about the halfway line, he launched into what was genuinely one of the most dangerous tackles that I have ever seen a United player make... I was absolutely sure that the referee was going to give a red card (I had that horrible sinking feeling that we were caught red-handed, a la when Barry Robson went psycho and started leathering Lee Naylor in front of the George Fox in about 2007).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQmIyWDVnRXTpVO4oKu5tf_xoCWGvLcMveBn2JY86j2bW7ZOuEj

14 hours ago, Twinkle said:
15 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:
How many have left this month then? So far I make it nine - Allardice, King, Edjenguele, Aird, Toshney, Appere, Rakovan, Thomas, Glass. Another four still to go perhaps - Barton, Loemba, Wardrop, Scobbie. Anyone I've missed? That's a decent clearout.

A good clearout as long as we arent replacing it with similar dross

When was the last transfer window that we brought in better players than we released? 

Our transfers over the course of the past 4 or 5 years have been, overall, absolutely terrible.  Long gone are the days of us uncovering gems like Swanson, Conway, Buaben etc.

Edited by arab_joe
Edited to add that brilliant picture of Robson

Just had a text from a usually semi-reliable source that we've offered Osman Sow £5k a week and that Pawlett is on £3300.
Nah I don't believe a fucking word of it either. 
Why don't you believe it?

New owner has stated more than once that promotion is a necessity.

Let's get one thing clear. The likes of Pawlett and Sow are too good for Utd. They ain't going to Tannadice for the fun of it.

3 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

I watch Crawley Town down here on a regular basis and there are rumours here claiming Mark Connolly may be on his way to United.

Great player, hope you don't get him!

He's a regular poster on here, too.  Though that may be somebody called Cark Monnolly with a cunning disguise.    Or it might be a different person.  @Mark Connolly Do you or do you not play for Crawley Town, and do you or do you not want to sign for Dundee United for some reason.

2 minutes ago, Jock Tamson said:

Why don't you believe it?

New owner has stated more than once that promotion is a necessity.

Let's get one thing clear. The likes of Pawlett and Sow are too good for Utd. They ain't going to Tannadice for the fun of it.

I agree that we are going all out for promotion and probably are paying over the odds for players but £5k a week in the championship?? Not a fucking chance IMO.

19 minutes ago, Ralphies_Chip said:

Just had a text from a usually semi-reliable source that we've offered Osman Sow £5k a week and that Pawlett is on £3300.

Your source may be usually semi-reliable however in this instance they are a havering c**t.

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
17 minutes ago, Sons FC said:
I watch Crawley Town down here on a regular basis and there are rumours here claiming Mark Connolly may be on his way to United.
Great player, hope you don't get him!

Give us your thoughts on Tom Dallison....

He's just joined and only started two games. Solid enough without being spectacular - he is being nursed through the early games by the more experienced defenders around him. He did have a good game on Saturday when we beat Swindon - he didn't put a foot wrong. Connolly is a much better player but his wife is Scottish, he has just had his second child and the thinking is that she wants to return to Scotland.

A ross county fan on twitter Is claiming we’re paying PP 3300 a week. Wouldn’t believe them sheep sheerers.

If Sow Is a loan 5K a week Is believable and could be worth It.