Dundee United 2018/2019

3 hours ago, GFARAB82 said:

Long term vision we will be back up this season or next Ayr will bottle it and pretty much between United and County come May anyways 

And what about you lot, will you make the playoffs?

11 hours ago, Muggy said:

Genuinely curious as to how you’ve now ended up with an assistant from the USA? Clearly forced on to Neilson? If I’ve missed why then apologies.

He knows Neilson and was keen to come back to Scotland after spending a lot of time in Canada. He is well known in the Scottish coaching circuit as he has contributed to the Largs SFA stuff and has taken talks on the UEFA Pro Youth Licence. I genuinely don't think there is much more to it than that (and apparently other clubs has asked about him too).

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

He knows Neilson and was keen to come back to Scotland after spending a lot of time in Canada. He is well known in the Scottish coaching circuit as he has contributed to the Largs SFA stuff and has taken talks on the UEFA Pro Youth Licence. I genuinely don't think there is much more to it than that (and apparently other clubs has asked about him too).

According to Neilson they didn't know each other previously, although Neilson was aware of him and knew he was highly regarded. I think in this case it's quite clear that Forest was chosen by the new regime, which is entirely to be expected within the new structure. Neilson's head coach rather than manager. Recruitment decisions will be getting taken above his head.

According to Neilson they didn't know each other previously, although Neilson was aware of him and knew he was highly regarded. I think in this case it's quite clear that Forest was chosen by the new regime, which is entirely to be expected within the new structure. Neilson's head coach rather than manager. Recruitment decisions will be getting taken above his head.

That setup worked for Neilson at Hearts, lets him concentrate 100% on the football.

I was under the impression there was a connection there but maybe it was more of a “knew of him”. It is however encouraging that Neilson and Asghar know each other, that might be important moving forward in terms of decision making.

To be honest, as much as I like Neilson the new structure is more important to the success of the club than he is personally. The intention, as I understand it, is for there to be a consistency of approach which continues irrespective of the identity of the Head Coach for the time being. Better, therefore, to get a guy in who will work well within that structure than someone who gets the gig just because he knows the present incumbent.  What really did Simon Donnelly, Darren Jackson, Laurie Ellis and Darren Whatsisname have to recommend them other than being pals with the manager? 

I was in the camp for giving Ellis the job when big Mixu left. Mixu was a guest on 'off the ball' at the weekend, usually a sign that a return to Scottish football is imminent , if so I for one would wish the big fella well, always had United at heart it just didn't work for him.........or us.

To be honest, as much as I like Neilson the new structure is more important to the success of the club than he is personally. The intention, as I understand it, is for there to be a consistency of approach which continues irrespective of the identity of the Head Coach for the time being. Better, therefore, to get a guy in who will work well within that structure than someone who gets the gig just because he knows the present incumbent.  What really did Simon Donnelly, Darren Jackson, Laurie Ellis and Darren Whatsisname have to recommend them other than being pals with the manager? 

Agreed. The structure at the club has been terrible pretty much since Levein left and then Thompson just gave McNamara the power to do what he wanted and it was a disaster. By having a proper structure we can build the club from the inside and have clarity about the roles and responsibilities each person has. Thankfully, with Ogren buying us, he has come from a culture of sport where everything is incredibly professional and well organised.

Neilson at the meeting the other night said that Scottish football is behind on that front and that he’s delighted we are moving on to this structure. He said “gone are the days of local butcher come good and it’s just two or three guys running a football club”.

1 hour ago, Dirty Arab 83 said:

I was in the camp for giving Ellis the job when big Mixu left. Mixu was a guest on 'off the ball' at the weekend, usually a sign that a return to Scottish football is imminent , if so I for one would wish the big fella well, always had United at heart it just didn't work for him.........or us.

Ellis wasn't here with Mixu. He came in with McKinnon after Mixu was binned.

Whether we get promoted or not, I think that in Neilson we have a decent manager.  That’s the first time in a few years I can say that.

Mixu was a panic appointment; McKinnon, sadly, just wasn’t up to it; and I will never forgive Mike Martin for not binning Laszlo.  I won’t criticise Csaba’s appointment but only an idiot could not see when it was time for him to go.  A stubborn, ignorant, arrogant idiot.

Neilson has a tough job and whatever the new set up I hope he has a final veto on the players we bring him.  If not he cannot be blamed for failure.

1 minute ago, Dirty Arab 83 said:

I stand corrected , I was in the 'give Ellis the job' when McKinnon went.

It’s good that you can admit when you get something wrong.

Spoiler

Amongst other things it shows you are not Jackie McNamara.  :lol: