Dundee United 2018/2019

32 minutes ago, Dirty Arab 83 said:

You might play the Terrors, never will you play the Arabs..........ya Fud.

I see someone's on a heavy comedown. Deary me.

Incidentally, what does this sentence even fucking mean?

I always thought Utd were both the Terrors and the Arabs. Someone else getting picked up by this tool on what is clearly a very touchy faux pas, has made me interested in what could illicit such an angry response, though I get the poster's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Edit - I see old man Danger's response....really? Is that even a thing? The team are the Terrors and the fans are the Arabs? Well there ye go.

Edited by djchapsticks

9 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Edit - I see old man Danger's response....really? Is that even a thing? The team are the Terrors and the fans are the Arabs? Well there ye go.

It has always been thus and some very petty Arabs gets annoyed by people’s inability to grasp the difference.

I am one of those very petty Arabs.  :lol:

34 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It has always been thus and some very petty Arabs gets annoyed by people’s inability to grasp the difference.

I am one of those very petty Arabs.  :lol:

It's rare that I concern myself with semantics surrounding teams from lower divisions, tbh.

(But actually I didn't know that either and stand suitably corrected. If slightly indifferent.)

54 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If Cammy Smith signs we will need to change our formation.  He will be wasted in a 4-2-3-1.

We, imo, need to change the formation even if he dosent sign. Have done for ages. 

Where would he and Nesbitt play? I doubt either of them would be happy to be backup.

Plus having Stanton, who is supposed to be playing in that position, is playing out of position every week too.

Can Smith play up front as a striker? Or is it going to be more like a 4321?

Murdoch Bouhenna Frans Booth 

Stanton Fyvie (Gomis?)

Nesbitt.   Smith

Safranko

Honestly, f**k knows. That looks pretty open down the wings and still leaves Stanton out of position. Id prefer if we brought in a winger with speed that can beat the first man with a cross at least twice a game.

I hope Neilson dosent have a number 10, Ray McKinnon style fetish. Or a square peg round hole fetish either.

We've no real depth in the full back area, in fact we've got 1 full back, Booth. And thats saying something. This should be the highest priority. The other full backs have dissappeared.

We've only got 2 defensive midfielders that Neilson seems to want to play. And one isnt defensive. This should be addressed next.

Our wingers are shite. Aird has good delivery but is inconsistent. McMullan is garbage and Billy King is also garbage.

We need backup for Safranko, Clark isnt the answer. Curran has thankfully gone. 

I got the impression from his inteviews that Neilson had a load of players lined up fmas soon as the window opened. We got one and he started on the bench.

Theres plenty of time, im not panicking just yet but id hope by the end of the coming week we have another few players in.

4 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

We, imo, need to change the formation even if he dosent sign. Have done for ages. 

Where would he and Nesbitt play? I doubt either of them would be happy to be backup.

Plus having Stanton, who is supposed to be playing in that position, is playing out of position every week too.

Murdoch Bouhenna Frans Booth 

Stanton Fyvie (Gomis?)

Nesbitt.   Smith

Safranko

Honestly, f**k knows. That looks pretty open down the wings and still leaves Stanton out of position. Id prefer if we brought in a winger with speed that can beat the first man with a cross at least twice a game.

I hope Neilson dosent have a number 10, Ray McKinnon style fetish. Or a square peg round hole fetish either.

We've no real depth in the full back area, in fact we've got 1 full back, Booth. And thats saying something. This should be the highest priority. The other full backs have dissappeared.

We've only got 2 defensive midfielders that Neilson seems to want to play. And one isnt defensive. This should be addressed next.

Our wingers are shite. Aird has good delivery but is inconsistent. McMullan is garbage and Billy King is also garbage.

We need backup for Safranko, Clark isnt the answer. Curran has thankfully gone. 

I got the impression from his inteviews that Neilson had a load of players lined up fmas soon as the window opened. We got one and he started on the bench.

Theres plenty of time, im not panicking just yet but id hope by the end of the coming week we have another few players in.

Change that slightly with 

RB Bouhenna Frans Booth 

Fyvie

Aird/Other. Stanton.        Nesbitt

Smith

Safranko

Less defensive minded but enough cover with two genuine fullbacks who can offer something going forward.

Given Aird’s assists I think it’s hard to dismiss him (yet).

Like you I really don’t know; I just hope Neilson has a clear indication of the formation he wants to play and only brings in players that suit and strengthen that formation.

I’m still not sure about Seigrist; looks like he fucked up for the goal (haven’t seen a replay yet) but made three or four excellent saves after that.

If Fyvie continues to struggle we need a decent replacement.

16 minutes ago, PartyFears2 said:

Ralston Bouhenna Frans Booth
Aird Gomis Stanton Nesbitt
Smith
Safranko

leave Fyvie out for a couple of weeks. Get Clark fit. Bring in another couple.

I think we are 50/50 in terms of getting Ralston. I'm assuming Celtic would require a development fee for him at least? 

15 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

I think if we sign Smith we shall definitely be playing 4-2-3-1 as Smith's best position is no 10 but unlike our current options I think Smith would play closer to Safranko hopefully not leaving the big man as isolated as recent games.

I'd concur with that. He needs lots of movement around and in front of him to create space, and to get on his passes. It's something we've lacked this season, but had in abundance last year. You'll need that to get the best out of him.

He edged Morgan as my poty last year; I think he's a great signing for you.

54 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

I think if we sign Smith we shall definitely be playing 4-2-3-1 as Smith's best position is no 10 but unlike our current options I think Smith would play closer to Safranko hopefully not leaving the big man as isolated as recent games.

Well it wouldn’t be a 4-2-3-1.

I can't see Neilson changing shape too much and he likes the 3 in behind to switch around during the game. If, and this is only based on rumour, we get someone like Pawlett then it would be Pawlett, Smith and Nesbitt behind Safranko and I would be more than happy with that. We still need a sitting midfielder who can defend and that will be big on Neilson's list. 

Gomes isn't the answer for us in that position but if we can use him as a backup I am okay with that as he will be better than what we currently have waiting on the bench.

26 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Well it wouldn’t be a 4-2-3-1.

Except that it would be. There are different ways of playing 4-2-3-1 it's just at the moment that ours is very negative with the striker being very isolated. At the moment we have McMullan, King and Aird that have been playing in the 3 and none of them are capable of offering a goal threat from the central position which is something we desperately need.

17 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

Except that it would be. There are different ways of playing 4-2-3-1 it's just at the moment that ours is very negative with the striker being very isolated. At the moment we have McMullan, King and Aird that have been playing in the 3 and none of them are capable of offering a goal threat from the central position which is something we desperately need.

So 4-2-2-1-1.

2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

In short, yes, but not really effectively.

He's going to be at his best as a number 10. Last season Smith, Morgan, Reilly and latterly Mullen did a power of intricate and high energy movement in the final third and a lot of our goals came from simply wearing opposition defences down.

Not sure how Utd play but I'd imagine with Aird and McMullan/Nesbitt on the park, this would suit Smith greatly, especially if your man up top (Safranko?) is a bit mobile.

Guest DAVIDB69

We are going nowhere it just seems to be a constant tombola of mediocrity coming through the doors.

We realise these people are not good enough, ship them out then bring even more in of shite standard.

We throw some darts at it and hope something sticks.

Although we have doing this for about 4 years now.

I have probably fallen off the we are going places with neilson mantra