Dundee United 2018/2019

26 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Gomis and Goodwillie - no thanks.

Vaughan - meh.

Pawlett - if he can stay fit.

Sow - yes please.

It's all speculation, but generally I'd agree with that. Apart from gambling on Pawlett's fitness, we sign enough players with unfortunate injury records.

Another thing: see when fans say they've 'heard' of someone signing, they haven't really heard anything, have they? They've read it elsewhere, or made it up in the main.

57 minutes ago, Accent-Unknown said:

"He's done nothing mental since" - He didn't piss in the street or batter someone outside a nightclub. He raped someone. That's not "mental", that's fucking morally reprehensible.

"playing some part-time teams" - one part-time team. Alloa. And believe it or not, a championship team is a wee bit better than a league 2 team.

And you be honest with yourself - would you want Goodwillie back if it wasn't for him previously playing for United and winning the cup with us?

I didnt say rape was mental... I said he hasnt done anything mental since. And i also said maybe hes changed his ways. 

If hes scoring regularly then, at this point, id be happy enough to give him a chance. The fact he played for us, scored loads of goals and won a cup is why ive heard of him. Obviously. I dont have a vast knowledge of players accross world football who would be available and come to us. Do you?

If id seen someone else with his scoring record who was available to Utd id maybe put their name forward too.

The fact is, he can score goals. We need someone to score goals. To me, why not take a punt on him for that reason?

Some of our performances would settle well amongst the worst of the league 2 sides this season and some of our players will do well to end up at a club that level.

To be blunt, its not going to happen anyway, I just think he could possibly still do a decent job at this level. Certainly a better one than some of the players we currently have.

26 minutes ago, stewartyftd1 said:

Goodwillie was not convicted in a criminal court. He was convicted in a civil court. Civil court convictions do not confirm guilt as a judge does not necessarily require any solid proof. Innocent until proven guilty surely?

I wouldn’t want him anywhere near any of my female relatives.  You may feel differently.

ETA I think you’re a wee bit confused by the civil court system.

Edited by Granny Danger

Morning all and a Happy New Year! I've written this about Revolution Sports and who they are (with a view as to what they can do for United).

Really good stuff as always.

Would recommend to others who like me are too lazy to do proper investigation. Gives good context and info on the parties and a gives a reasonable (if speculative) view on how the arrangement will work.

I’m a little sceptical over all of this still; the big question I keep asking is why? Surely there isn’t much money to be made in Scottish football at the best of times, and I don’t quite get the ‘I like how you guys used to have an Irish name’ thing. Whilst having ‘United men’ making up the board in the past hasn’t really served us well, I think there’s some need for retention of guys who know the club and it’s heritage and culture inside out long term

Having said that, the model which you describe is one which, if it’s well deployed, sounds far more appealing than what we have had previously and could definitely be successful.

We need people who know to make the club work as a business. I also think (and hope) they will be ruthless and completely unsentimental in their approach to running the club and make it clear they won’t tolerate consistent failure or lack of effort/ attitude. From the outside, in the past, there’s certainly looked like a soft touch culture which allowed players to take the piss on and off the pitch (hopefully having a semi competent manager helps with this as well).

18 minutes ago, dregs 83 said:

Really good stuff as always.

Would recommend to others who like me are too lazy to do proper investigation. Gives good context and info on the parties and a gives a reasonable (if speculative) view on how the arrangement will work.

I’m a little sceptical over all of this still; the big question I keep asking is why? Surely there isn’t much money to be made in Scottish football at the best of times, and I don’t quite get the ‘I like how you guys used to have an Irish name’ thing. Whilst having ‘United men’ making up the board in the past hasn’t really served us well, I think there’s some need for retention of guys who know the club and it’s heritage and culture inside out long term

Having said that, the model which you describe is one which, if it’s well deployed, sounds far more appealing than what we have had previously and could definitely be successful.

We need people who know to make the club work as a business. I also think (and hope) they will be ruthless and completely unsentimental in their approach to running the club and make it clear they won’t tolerate consistent failure or lack of effort/ attitude. From the outside, in the past, there’s certainly looked like a soft touch culture which allowed players to take the piss on and off the pitch (hopefully having a semi competent manager helps with this as well).

Cheers for reading! I think the club were initially skeptical about this idea but were won over by Revolution after a few meetings. It happens all the time in business (the consultancy stuff) so no reason why it might not work here. The bit we don't know about it is how much it might cost us and what kind of fee they are getting to provide all of this expertise. It also remains to be seen that if they suggest something the club don't want (or that Neilson disagrees with) then that could mean difficulties but with Ogren unlikely to be in the country very often then it is the way the club will operate for the time being.