Dundee United 2018/2019

Seems like you've approached Stefan Scougall, he's been told he's free to leave us this January. Apparently on a mammoth wage, for us, though.

Seen this In the courier today. I’m sure we were Interested In him when Jackie was around and he went to Sheffield Utd Instead.

I think he would be a decent signing.

27 minutes ago, FifeArab said:

Seen this In the courier today. I’m sure we were Interested In him when Jackie was around and he went to Sheffield Utd Instead.

I think he would be a decent signing.

Has he played this season?  His stats for last season are not impressive.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I would be very worried if those in charge of the club haven’t realised  how badly we need a RB.

I agree we need a right-back but we could also do with a left-back. The issue will be money and the players who Neilson will prioritise. Playing devil's advocate though, what has Murdoch done wrong in the last few games? He is poor going forward but defensively he has been pretty solid in the last few weeks and was in the first few games under Neilson also. We've needed a right-back for about three years but I think where we have a 'competent' player in a particular position it might be that Neilson wants to focus on other areas. Our big issue is still scoring goals and cutting teams open so Neilson maybe wants to address that first. 

I agree we need a right-back but we could also do with a left-back. The issue will be money and the players who Neilson will prioritise. Playing devil's advocate though, what has Murdoch done wrong in the last few games? He is poor going forward but defensively he has been pretty solid in the last few weeks and was in the first few games under Neilson also. We've needed a right-back for about three years but I think where we have a 'competent' player in a particular position it might be that Neilson wants to focus on other areas. Our big issue is still scoring goals and cutting teams open so Neilson maybe wants to address that first. 

Do you not have sam wardrop? I was speaking to him at your sponsors lunch and he said he is fit to play

19 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I am less critical of Murdoch than many, it’s not his fault that he’s being played out of position.

I agree that it’s about scoring goals and a genuine RB should offer more going forward and overlapping the wide players.

7 minutes ago, Girth said:

Would you like Marcus Haber chaps?

Zero goals in 15 appearances for Falkirk according to Wiki.  Not encouraging.

19 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Do you not have sam wardrop? I was speaking to him at your sponsors lunch and he said he is fit to play

We do but it looks like neither Csaba or Neilson rates him and he is likely to be moved on if we can get a loan deal for him. 

Murdoch hasnt done alot 'wrong' in that hes not directly flogged loads this season.  Hes been a large part of our worst defence in years though.

He dosent get forward to help create chances and he is an incredibly negative full back. Id rather we went for someone who will at least put the odd cross in during a game. Christ, even Neilson did when he was a player with us.

Id like a left back but its not the highest priority. 

In order of priority, Id argue we need 

1. Striker

2. Midfielder 

3. Right back

4. Goalkeeper

Then if we can have some more bodies id go

5. Left back

6. Winger 

7. Attacking midfielder / playmaker.

4 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

I was thinking about him for Thistle too. Seemed to be struggling for game time at Bristol Rovers but they sacked their manager a couple of weeks ago and lo and behold he’s back in the first team scoring goals. Was keen to try his luck down South and now that he’s getting some first team action I doubt he’ll return to Scotland in this window.

You are probably correct: he'll be on a good wad down in Bristol, a new opportunity has arisen for him, no real reason to head north so early.

And although I don't like either keeper, I'd also probably rather see us try to outscore teams than keep a more secure defence than them. Just for the sake of entertainment.

So fixing out our lack of goals might be a priority over our dreadful defence, which is one of the worst in the league.

24 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

Genuinely think by the way Neilson has been talking that we won't see more than two or three come in. 

Doesn’t say much about the commitment of the new owner.  

Short term contracts for key positions would only cost £25k-£50k each.  Not a bad investment if it boosts our prospects of promotion.

4 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

You are probably correct: he'll be on a good wad down in Bristol, a new opportunity has arisen for him, no real reason to head north so early.

And although I don't like either keeper, I'd also probably rather see us try to outscore teams than keep a more secure defence than them. Just for the sake of entertainment.

So fixing out our lack of goals might be a priority over our dreadful defence, which is one of the worst in the league.

We'd need to play at least 3 strikers most games for that! 

However....

Id be a huge fan of outscoring the opposition with a team that consisted of 3 or more strikers.

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Doesn’t say much about the commitment of the new owner.  

Short term contracts for key positions would only cost £25k-£50k each.  Not a bad investment if it boosts our prospects of promotion.

I agree. However maybe RN is the one saying he only needs 2 or 3? Doubtful but you never know.

Maybe its 2 or 3 permanent players and a couple of loans once we know what positions have been filled. Then replace as we remove crap players.

Are you looking to make money from this deal?

Yes. This isn't a hobby for us, and we expect to make money long-term but, let me say, for that to happen we need to be competing in the Ladbrokes Premiership on a continual basis.

With the possible exception of some of the charlatans involved in the Sevco debacle, who is the last person to make money out of owning a Scottish football club?

Michael Johnston.